wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Each Letter Represents A Number - But Which One? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 8th, 2024, 11:38pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: william wu, SMQ, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, Grimbal, towr)
   Each Letter Represents A Number - But Which One?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Each Letter Represents A Number - But Which One?  (Read 2824 times)
MathsForFun

Re: Each Letter Represents A Number - But Which On  
« Reply #25 on: Aug 6th, 2010, 5:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 6th, 2010, 5:25am, Grimbal wrote:
As it happens, the original problem has always an excess of 1.  I also felt cheated when I saw that.

Sorry about that. At the time I posted the puzzle, it didn't occur to me that I had created this vulnerability. I only realised when JohanC's post caused me to think again about solution methods.

I would point out that I am not alone in making such a mistake - history is littered with mathematicians who thought they were making a cipher stronger when in fact they were making it weaker (the reflection wheel in the Enigma machine is an obvious example). Also, I give myself credit for correctly guessing that counting would be the first line of attack!

Quote:
I also though of optimization under constraint, but I don't know of any library right now so I would have had to find one and learn how to use it.

With a good setup, it could probably be done with a spreadsheet solver.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2010, 5:55am by MathsForFun » IP Logged

Everything is interesting if you look at it closely enough
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #26 on: Aug 6th, 2010, 6:09am »

on Aug 6th, 2010, 5:25am, Grimbal wrote:
I also though of optimization under constraint, but I don't know of any library right now so I would have had to find one and learn how to use it.
I've had swi-prolog's constraint library have a go at it, but after two hours it still had nothing. Maybe my computer isn't fast enough. (Well, it definitely isn't, in general.)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
JohanC
Senior Riddler

« Reply #27 on: Aug 6th, 2010, 9:50am »

Still wondering...

The trick with real numbers wouldn't always solve the general problem when real inequalities are involved, I suppose. It might get attrackted to an optimal real solution which is not easily converted back to integers.

MathsFF, which soduko-solver approach did you use? Would you eventually get all solutions to Grimbals puzzle?
Or are you using constraint programming, which I also feel wouldn't always find the solution.

The wiki page mentions a stochastic search, similar to the one I proposed. Did somebody try something like that?
IP Logged
MathsForFun

« Reply #28 on: Aug 6th, 2010, 10:43am »

on Aug 6th, 2010, 9:50am, JohanC wrote:
MathsFF, which soduko-solver approach did you use?

Integer programming. I once wrote a brute-force sudoku solver, but a friend pointed out that while it had no trouble with "normal" puzzles with, say, 30 clues, it could not manage "difficult" ones with, say 18 clues (more details on difficult sudoku puzzles in the previously linked wikipedia article), so I wrote a second one based on integer programming, and it can solve any sudoku puzzle without difficulty.

Quote:
Would you eventually get all solutions to Grimbals puzzle?

Yes - it would (it might be a slow process, though, because Grimbal's puzzle appears to have a large number of solutions - but it would find them many orders of magnitude more quickly than brute force).
IP Logged

Everything is interesting if you look at it closely enough
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #29 on: Aug 6th, 2010, 2:28pm »

on Aug 6th, 2010, 9:50am, JohanC wrote:
Or are you using constraint programming, which I also feel wouldn't always find the solution.
As I understand it, constraint programming would always find the solutions, but it may take very, very long. It uses the constraints to limit the search space, but does search everywhere there might be a solution afaik.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »