wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Finding first n Ramanujan numbers efficiently »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 31st, 2024, 6:04pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: towr, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Grimbal, SMQ, Eigenray, Icarus)
   Finding first n Ramanujan numbers efficiently
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Finding first n Ramanujan numbers efficiently  (Read 5878 times)
eenampicchi

Finding first n Ramanujan numbers efficiently  
« on: Oct 27th, 2010, 8:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ramanujan numbers are those numbers x such that there are four other numbers a,b,c,d that satisfy the property a^3 + b^3 = c^3 + d^3 = x. That is, they should be expressibly as the sum of cubes of two distinct sets of numbers. Given a number N, write an algorithm to print all the Ramanujan numbers from 1 to N. N can be very very large, so efficiency is key here.  

I have an O(n^3) algorithm, but I think it needs to get better than that. My proposed algorithm :  
1) Generate all cubes from 1 to N^(1/3) and keep in a sorted order.
2) For each pair of numbers in this list, find the sum, and search for another pair of numbers which add up to the same.  

Generating all pairs can be done in O(n^2) time, and finding a pair that sums to a particular value can be done in O(n) time. (There is a thread in this forum for this problem).  

How can I improve this?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Finding first n Ramanujan numbers efficiently  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27th, 2010, 8:52am »

I would think you could simply for each number K, run through all cubes C smaller or equal to half the number, then see if K-C is a cube (e.g. take the cuberoot, round, and cube). If you find exactly two such C, then K is a Ramanujan number.

I think this should be O(N4/3).
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27th, 2010, 8:57am »

Actually, with some modifications, your algorithm would be better (if you have sufficient memory).
Generate the O(N1/3) cubes, find the sum of each (unordered) pair O(N2/3), use a hash to count how often each sum occurs, and return the ones that occurred twice.  
So O(N2/3) total. But it may take O(N2/3) space as well.

There's probably room for improvement though.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
birbal

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 10:16am »

on Oct 27th, 2010, 8:14am, eenampicchi wrote:
Ramanujan numbers are those numbers x such that there are four other numbers a,b,c,d that satisfy the property a^3 + b^3 = c^3 + d^3 = x. That is, they should be expressibly as the sum of cubes of two distinct sets of numbers. Given a number N, write an algorithm to print all the Ramanujan numbers from 1 to N. N can be very very large, so efficiency is key here.  

I have an O(n^3) algorithm, but I think it needs to get better than that. My proposed algorithm :  
1) Generate all cubes from 1 to N^(1/3) and keep in a sorted order.
2) For each pair of numbers in this list, find the sum, and search for another pair of numbers which add up to the same.  

Generating all pairs can be done in O(n^2) time, and finding a pair that sums to a particular value can be done in O(n) time. (There is a thread in this forum for this problem).  

How can I improve this?

Your algorithm is not that bad, you are calculating the order in wrong way. For a given n, finding all the cubes <= n is actually O(n1/3).
IP Logged

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself!
eenampicchi

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 6:59pm »

I think towr had the orders precise. My notation was confusing, I should have mentioned that I was using n = N^1/3.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »