wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - My master's thesis on Hybrid logic »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 2nd, 2024, 11:36am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: william wu, Eigenray, Icarus, towr, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal)
   My master's thesis on Hybrid logic
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My master's thesis on Hybrid logic  (Read 2166 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

My master's thesis on Hybrid logic  
« on: Sep 20th, 2007, 6:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I already finished it a few weeks back, but I wanted to wait until it was approved. So now I only have to survived until the end of the graduation ceremony to get my degree; which I hope will prove the easiest task of university.

Without further ado, I present to thee my thesis:

Taming Frankenstein’s Logic
or
How I turned the Tables on Hybrid Logic

The Development of a Theorem Prover for Infinitary Hybrid Logic based on Semantic Tableaux,
from Theory to Implementation

I still have to print the final version (for the university library, etc). So please let me know any typing errors, bad punctuation or other mistakes). And of course any comments are welcome.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2007, 6:57am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

Re: My master's thesis on Hybrid logic  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 7:34am »

Congratulations!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 8:16am »

I don't even understand the title.  Undecided

But congratulations!   Cheesy
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 8:33am »

Thanks.

To understand the title, it helps to read the introduction. But in short, hybrid logic is a combination of two other logics (hence the hybrid), and also hence the reference to Frankenstein (who created a new life form by sewing together parts from various corpses, and passing some lightning through to animate it; as you well know, certainly.)
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2007, 8:35am by towr » IP Logged

JohanC
Senior Riddler

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 8:37am »

Gefeliciteerd !
Looks like you already made some steps towards a PhD.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 8:44am »

I don't think a PhD lies in my future; I've had quite enough of writing large scientific texts.  
It just takes me too much effort to write. (Even though I've been told the quality of writing was worth the effort.)
IP Logged

Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #6 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 8:53am »

Congratulations towr. I didn't understand the topic, but it is very nicely written with a gripping introduction  Smiley!! I wonder if you can put it to layman's words for us!!  Cheesy. What lies ahead now?
IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
denis
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 9:38am »

Congrats!

(since you are located in the Netherlands, was the thesis written in English or in Dutch originally)?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 9:52am »

on Sep 20th, 2007, 9:38am, denis wrote:
(since you are located in the Netherlands, was the thesis written in English or in Dutch originally)?
English.
I'm probably also better, and at least more comfortable, writing English (for some reason).. And in any case, it's encouraged to write theses in English at our faculty. Globalization at work.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 10:15am »

on Sep 20th, 2007, 8:53am, Sameer wrote:
Congratulations towr. I didn't understand the topic, but it is very nicely written with a gripping introduction  Smiley!!
Thanks,

Quote:
I wonder if you can put it to layman's words for us!!
It's probably a bit much too explain all of it (excluding the appendices and title pages etc, it's still 40 or 50 pages, after all).

The short, short version is that I made a program to prove statements in some specific flavour of logic. (And in doing so 'tamed' it; although, really, that's overstating the capabilities of my theorem prover.)

The thing that probably has most of you wondering is what Hybrid Logic is. To explain that, I first have to explain what modal logic is. Modal logic is (or can be seen) as an extension of propositional logic. The basic extension adds the operator [] (necessarily) and it's dual <> (possibly); so you can say []a "a is necessarily the case", or <>b "possibly b is the case"=="not-b is not necessarily the case". Other interpretation instead of necessity can be knowing, believing, derivability in peano arithmatic, etc.
The best way to make sense of it is to consider a semantics that use possible worlds, and connections between those worlds. Then []a (evaluated in a given world of the model) means that a is true in each world that you can reach (in one step).

One thing that is lacking is that you can only look at all the reachable worlds, or one of them; so if any of those worlds look identical (same propositional variables are true in each, and they have connections to the same worlds), then you cannot say if it's just the one, or maybe two, or three, are infinitely many. This means you can't take into account certain properties the model might have, such as that no world has a connection to itself (because if two identical looking world connect to each other, it may seem like one that connects to itself).
By hybridizing it with first order logic, you can solve that, and add more expressivity to the logic as a whole. The key element that gets added is a set of nominals, which are names for worlds; each nominal is a propositional variable that is true in exactly one world (making any distinct world distinguishable). Aside from that often two operators are added as well, one to make statements about a named world (@i -> "in world i holds", and one to give a name to some world (i -> "if we call this world i, then holds", and of course might depend on i

To be honest, I don't think this is very different from my account of it in my thesis (albeit it's shorter), but oh well..

Quote:
What lies ahead now?
Well, currently I'm spending an extra year to finish a Bachelor's degree in philosophy of cognitive science. After that, I haven't the foggiest Tongue
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2007, 10:17am by towr » IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 11:15am »

Yeah, from Frankenstein to Wittgenstein! Nice one.

on Sep 20th, 2007, 6:55am, towr wrote:
So please let me know any typing errors, bad punctuation or other mistakes). And of course any comments are welcome.

Some Nitpicks, Suggestions, and Further Nitpicks:

Usefull -> Useful
However -> However,
For example -> For example,
First -> First,
Lastly -> Lastly,
Secondly -> Secondly,

e.g -> e.g.
can not -> cannot
However modal A is... -> However, as modal A is...

This removes the need to translated -> This removes the need to translate

wouldn’t -> would not
soaddressess -> so addresses
As the name suggest -> As the name suggests

manipulating -> and manipulating

wellfounded -> well-founded

Like before -> As before,

vice verse -> vice versa

Moreover, the process can be automated, so it is... -> Moreover, as the process can be automated it is...

Unfortunately it does not apply to all modal axioms, but only those... -> Unfortunately, it does not apply to all modal axioms, but only to those...

worlds names -> world names

However, some of -> However, although some of

if there is on, -> if there is one,
not.. -> not.

whether it operate -> whether it operates

latex -> Latex
step by step -> step-by-step

On the other hand -> On the other hand,

direction, it -> direction - it
frame, but it ignores-> frame and ignores

A.3.3
onyl -> only

« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2007, 11:18am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 11:23am »

Wow, that's quite a list; thanks Smiley
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 11:30am »

Can it take a group of statements such as those of the giddy balloonists who like to dance on tightropes with an umbrella while eating penny-buns (and whistling Dixie?)

1) not(D) and not(E) => not(Y)
2) P and G => Re
3) W and B => U
4) R and E => not(L)
5) Y and B  => G
6) F and R and not(D) => L
7) W and G => not(D)
8) P and U => R
9) not(D) and Re => F

and find a function which implies not(W and Y and P), or do we need to have a candidate function to test?

« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2007, 7:47pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 12:26pm »

You'd have to provide a candidate function to test.  

Although, with some modification, you might find all counter-models (the cases where not(W and Y and P) isn't implied). Which is enough to deduce the function.
The biggest obstacle here is that the built-in model-checker only works with pure formulas at the moment (i.e. formulas that don't contain propositional variables other than nominals).
IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #14 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 5:37pm »

Who's this Harmen Wassenaar guy ?  Tongue Congrats towr, now you can laze off till graduation. I like the captions at the start of each chapter, nice touch.  

Just a couple of comments; I noticed that you had double spacing between some paragraphs, but not all. I'm not sure what's the format used by your uni, but if you are to have double spacing between paragraphs, why not do it for all ? It'll look neater ( and it helps to lengthen your thesis.  Grin )

Also, since you have lots of referrences, why don't you cross-referrence them to the main body with footnotes / endnotes ? Never mind, found them.  Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2007, 5:39pm by JiNbOtAk » IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 12:31am »

on Sep 20th, 2007, 5:37pm, JiNbOtAk wrote:
Just a couple of comments; I noticed that you had double spacing between some paragraphs, but not all. I'm not sure what's the format used by your uni, but if you are to have double spacing between paragraphs, why not do it for all ? It'll look neater ( and it helps to lengthen your thesis.  Grin )
Personally, I don't think it would look neater. The reason I did it as I did was to give the text more structure. Some paragraphs are more closely related than others, and should be read in one go. Where there's double spacing you move on to a new line of thought. (But not so much so it deserves a new subsection or subsubsection or, god forbid, a subsubsubsection)

The university, or at least this faculty, leaves us pretty free in how we structure the text, make references, etc. Writing the thesis as five somewhat self-contained parts (with their own contents and reference section) was also purely my own choice.
IP Logged

mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #16 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 12:59am »

WELL DONE and Congratulations!!! Cheesy Smiley From what I understood, which was minimal, it was excellent. I'd love to be able to understand so I can fully appreciate it, but it looks great. WELL DONE!
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2007, 1:07am by mikedagr8 » IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

« Reply #17 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 8:46am »

on Sep 20th, 2007, 6:55am, towr wrote:
I already finished it a few weeks back, but I wanted to wait until it was approved. So now I only have to survived until the end of the graduation ceremony to get my degree; which I hope will prove the easiest task of university.

Congratulations, brother-in-arms! May the force be with you! Smiley

I will have a look at your thesis soon and let you know if i have any comments.

-- AI
P.S -> I missed my convocation this year, so i will have to wait till the next year to get my master's degree Sad.  I hope, you dont have to survive for an year Wink.

[edit]Just two additions from what T&B has already given,
induction hypothesis: -> Induction hypothesis:

Importantly -> Importantly,

Nothing big as such.  

By the way, your organisation of thesis was pretty interesting. Do you make a class file for this or did you manually arrange it on a default class? If you made a class file, can i have it?  Grin [/edit]
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2007, 7:48pm by TenaliRaman » IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Ghost Sniper
Senior Riddler

Do not hide. It is useless.

« Reply #18 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 10:07am »

Congrats towr!

(Staring in awe...  Shocked )
IP Logged

*sob* I miss my mommy... *blows nose* huh, I'm on? oh right.

(thinks to self) Time for my speech to these college kids.

"Reason is more important than all emotions..."
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #19 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 2:48am »

on Sep 21st, 2007, 8:46am, TenaliRaman wrote:
P.S -> I missed my convocation this year, so i will have to wait till the next year to get my master's degree Sad.  I hope, you dont have to survive for an year Wink.
I should get my degree in december (originally it would have been sooner, but there were reorganizations that shiofted around the dates)

Quote:
By the way, your organisation of thesis was pretty interesting. Do you make a class file for this or did you manually arrange it on a default class? If you made a class file, can i have it?  Grin [/edit]
I used the normal article class with several style packages:
-chapterbib to get a bibliography per part
-minitoc to get a content for each part.
I wrote each part as a seperate file, which gets included by the main tex file. (To get the bibliography numbering consistent across the thesis took a bit of a hack though; originally the references were just numbered incrementally per part, so the same reference could have a different number in each part)
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 12:20pm »

The induction step is not much different, first -> The induction step is not much different; first
IP Logged

JohanC
Senior Riddler

« Reply #21 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 1:08pm »

on Sep 20th, 2007, 8:44am, towr wrote:
I don't think a PhD lies in my future; I've had quite enough of writing large scientific texts.  
It just takes me too much effort to write. (Even though I've been told the quality of writing was worth the effort.)

Hi, Towr,
I really think you put your standards too high, which makes you too unsure to start writing, or forces you to a constant rewriting. As you see from the reactions, in your 90 pages people need quite some nitpicking to find errors. (Most of these errors are just a forgotten comma, which is mandatory in English, but not used in many other languages.)
I'm sure if you look to the already published thesis of most of your colleagues, you'll see writing errors all over the place.
As a matter of fact, almost everybody needs a lot of time to write a good scientific paper. It is the end result that makes the effort worthwhile.

As you seem to like puzzles (?!), why not consider a research position for example at the game group of the university of Maastricht? Or maybe even something more international?

Of course, you have to decide and choose for yourself.

Anyways, congratulations again.
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 1:22pm »

on Sep 22nd, 2007, 1:08pm, JohanC wrote:

Or maybe even something more international?

Such as the University of Alberta Games Group.   Smiley
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #23 on: Sep 23rd, 2007, 9:21am »

on Sep 22nd, 2007, 1:08pm, JohanC wrote:
I really think you put your standards too high, which makes you too unsure to start writing, or forces you to a constant rewriting.
Well, I haven't done a lot of rewriting, so I don't think it's the latter. It's true that I'm not good at starting texts, but whether standards have much to do with it, I'm not sure.  
I think it's more that often I just don't know what to write, or if I do, how to write it. I just wait for inspiration, and if it hits, it hits; and if it doesn't, I stare at a blank screen in despair (if I don't find something else to do). I can't seem to force myself to write; so it takes a long time.

Quote:
As you see from the reactions, in your 90 pages people need quite some nitpicking to find errors. (Most of these errors are just a forgotten comma, which is mandatory in English, but not used in many other languages.)
Of course, the errors that are left now are mostly those that escaped my supervisor's attention as she reviewed each chapter. I didn't write it quite this flawlessly in one go.  
And I had some help from a spell-checker too; although it can leave you with the wrong correctly spelled word in places. (I kept fudging up with therefor(e), for example.)

Quote:
I'm sure if you look to the already published thesis of most of your colleagues, you'll see writing errors all over the place.
Yeah, but those sort of considerations just lead you to jumping off a bridge if everyone else is doing it too Wink
IP Logged

TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

« Reply #24 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 8:18am »

Somehow, missed replying.

on Sep 22nd, 2007, 2:48am, towr wrote:

I should get my degree in december (originally it would have been sooner, but there were reorganizations that shiofted around the dates)

Ah!! Pretty early Smiley, mine is around june/july next year (the cause of it being myself, having handed in the thesis very late Tongue).
Quote:
I used the normal article class with several style packages:
-chapterbib to get a bibliography per part
-minitoc to get a content for each part.
I wrote each part as a seperate file, which gets included by the main tex file. (To get the bibliography numbering consistent across the thesis took a bit of a hack though; originally the references were just numbered incrementally per part, so the same reference could have a different number in each part)

Thanks for the pointers, even though i knew about chapterbib, but never actually saw the minitoc before.

-- AI
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »