wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Some super hard math problems »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 6:38pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, Icarus, Grimbal, towr)
   Some super hard math problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Some super hard math problems  (Read 1580 times)
Weazel

Some super hard math problems  
« on: Nov 18th, 2004, 7:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My finite teacher asked us to see if we could solve some math problems. I really have no idea how to do it as I haven't learned it yet. So I decided to pose the questions to you guys.

Find the area under the curve to ten decimal places:
  lim [smiley=smallint.gif][smiley=in.gif] x -1cos(x-1log10x)dx
[smiley=in.gif] [smiley=to.gif] 0

Find the global minimum to ten decimal places:

f(x,y) = esin(50x) + sin[60ey] + sin[70sin(x)] + sin[sin(80y)] - sin{10(x + y)] + 1/4(x2 + y2)
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Re: Some super hard math problems  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 2:05am »

Weazel, methinks thou art aptly-named.  
If this is what your 'finite teacher' gives you, what does your 'infinite teacher' give you?

Answers to your 'homework' can be found here.

While your 2nd question is identical to #4 on the given page, you don't seem to have copied #1 correctly.  Roll Eyes    

« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2004, 6:52am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Weazel

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 5:25pm »

I can assure you I did not copy it from that page - It is the first I have seen of it. My teacher claims he was emailed by a professor (I think from Cambridge, I don't remember for sure, but it is from whatever college those questions came from).

If you did not know, finite mathematics does not deal with math in the finite realm; it is actually dealing with finances and economics: Minimization/maximization, interest, income, and the like for instance.

The reason the two questions were brought up were because my teacher showed us a program that can be used to solve minimization/maximization problems with 50 constraints, and wanted to see if we can devise a program to solve the given problems.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 9:24pm »

Actually it strikes me as strange that the first limit should even exist. As x [to] 0, the x-1 climbs to infinity at a non-integrable rate, whereas the cos term starts ocillating rapidly back and forth between 1 and -1. Without a closer examination, I can't guarantee it, but this has all the earmarks of a non-convergent limit.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Obob

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 9:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The limit does in fact exist.  The fact that the cosine is oscillating so rapidly means that there is a lot of cancellation going on.

I'm not sure whether or not the limit of the integral of the absolute value of the function would exist or not.  It probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out using Mathematica, though.

If you have Mathematica, there is an interesting file you can download where the authors use Mathematica to solve this problem and 9 other problems which are very difficult numerical type problems.  Here's the link, its worth a look: http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Conferences/5353/
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 6:42am »

on Nov 20th, 2004, 9:34pm, Obob wrote:
The limit does in fact exist.  The fact that the cosine is oscillating so rapidly means that there is a lot of cancellation going on.

This does not prove that the limit exists. The following page presents more than a dozen teams that won the first prize, and only [url]one of them[/url] tried proving that the integral converges (Experimental Math!)

I wonder if the following book gives the proof.

Quote:
If you have Mathematica, there is an interesting file you can download where the authors use Mathematica to solve this problem and 9 other problems which are very difficult numerical type problems.  Here's the link, its worth a look: http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Conferences/5353/

When I try to go by the link, I get “File not found”…  Sad
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 9:22am »

on Nov 21st, 2004, 6:42am, Barukh wrote:

When I try to go by the link, I get “File not found”…  Sad

Do you mean the "siam100" zip file? I downloaded it without a problem. Let me know if you want it, and will "yousendit" to you.
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 11:02am »

on Nov 21st, 2004, 9:22am, BNC wrote:

Do you mean the "siam100" zip file? I downloaded it without a problem. Let me know if you want it, and will "yousendit" to you.

Yes, please.  Smiley
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 3:35pm »

Concerning the convergence of the limit in the first problem. As Barukh indicates the oscillation itself is not sufficient to show the limit converges. What is also required is that the magnitude of the oscillations converge to zero (sort of like the alternating series test). The area under each "hump" of the cosine portion is inversely proportional to the rate of growth of the argument, in this case to d/dx(x-1ln x) = (1-ln x)/x2 (throwing out the log conversion constant). Inverting and multiplying by the other multiplicand gives that each oscillation adds or subtracts an amount roughly proportional to x/(1-ln x), which clearly converges to 0. So Obob is right about the convergence (as I expected, given the original source of the problem), but it by no means clear simply from looking at it.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 1:18am »

on Nov 21st, 2004, 11:02am, Barukh wrote:

Yes, please.  Smiley

Here you go Smiley
clicky
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »