wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - expected number of Runs »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 2nd, 2024, 2:17am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: towr, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Icarus, Eigenray, william wu, Grimbal)
   expected number of Runs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: expected number of Runs  (Read 4056 times)
inexorable

expected number of Runs  
« on: Jun 14th, 2011, 1:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There are 26 black(B) and 26 red(R) cards in a standard deck. A run is a maximum block of consecutive cards of the same color. For example, a sequence RRRRBBBRBRB of only 11 cards has
6 runs; namely, RRRR, BBB, R, B, R, B.

Find the expected number of runs in a shuffled deck of cards.

IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Re: expected number of Runs  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 2:08pm »

Voila
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
inexorable

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15th, 2011, 10:19am »

I dint understand the last step 51*(26/51) Sad
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15th, 2011, 3:56pm »

on Jun 15th, 2011, 10:19am, inexorable wrote:
I dint understand the last step 51*(26/51) Sad

inexecrable, each of these 51 other cards contributes to the expected numnber of runs and each contributes equally.
How much a card contributes depends on the probability that the next card is different.
If this probability were 0 (ie. cards are all the same) then the formula gives (51*0) + 1 = 1 run of length 52  
If this probability were 1 (ie. cards alternate in colour) then the formula gives (51*1) + 1 = 52 runs, each of length 1

However, the actual probability = 26/51 = Number of different cards/Total number of other cards
So we get 51(26/51) + 1 = 27

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2011, 12:30am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jul 5th, 2011, 10:07pm »

on Jun 14th, 2011, 2:08pm, ThudnBlunder wrote:
Voila

By the way, I no longer recommend the above linked site for anything, as it practises intellectual censorship. To explain, a couple of weeks ago I made a comment there in a thread about whether Maths is discovered or invented. One poster mentioned the Kronecker quote: "God created the natural numbers, and all else is the work of man." I replied that if God created all the natural numbers then how come he was able to take Sunday off, and adding as an afterthought in a further comment that he probably spent Sunday inventing the empty set for us to discover. These comments were immediately labelled as "unhelpful" and "out of place" by a self-styled mathematician and regular poster. I patiently explained that I was attempting to make the following points in a light-hearted manner (while not forgetting to append an 'imho'):
a) God has no need of duality.
b) The empty set does not exist.
I then suggested that knee-jerk reactions from 1D perspectives ought to be out-of-place, but seemingly were not. Yo, the next time I logged on the whole conversation had vanished into the ether. (Luckily for them, in cyberspace nobody can hear you scream.) Hence "Voila" doesn't exactly cut it for a site that applies such dishonest and cavalier moderation and I hereby retract any mention of it.

« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2011, 11:54am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »