wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - An Attempted Theft Puzzle »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2024, 11:59pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Icarus, Grimbal, towr, william wu, SMQ, Eigenray)
   An Attempted Theft Puzzle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: An Attempted Theft Puzzle  (Read 1249 times)
Roy42
Senior Riddler

ddhilltop2

Re: An Attempted Theft Puzzle  
« Reply #25 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 6:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The gun had a "property of *insert name here* label on the side and it was the same gun from the theft Shocked
IP Logged

Regards,

≈Roy42
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #26 on: Jul 18th, 2006, 6:14pm »

on Jul 16th, 2006, 7:38am, K Sengupta wrote:
On Jul 14th, 2006, 2:30am Grimbal  wrote:

According to the puzzle periodical the events mentioned in the problem actually happened in Miami in 1996.

When the gun went off the burglar had accidentally shot his thumb off. In his haste, he failed to take it with him.

While this may correspond to the intended answer, the said solution in no way invalidates the responses posited by the members till date, since  event(s) similar to the one mentioned in the problem may well have occurred in or outside US in the course of the last 10 years.

I would like to point out that this was the 2nd of the three answers I gave in the very first reply.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
K Sengupta
Senior Riddler

« Reply #27 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 11:26am »

On  Jul 18th, 2006, 6:14pm [url]Icarus wrote[/url]:
Quote:
I would like to point out that this was the 2nd of the three answers I gave in the very first reply.

Indeed! I do not know how I failed to acknowledge  Icarus' reply in my earlier  comment, since the  response not only corroborates the soluton in terms of the puzzle magazine but also elucidates upon some additional features. I sincerely regret  the  omission.

However, I would stand by my earlier opinion that the official solution corresponds to an event occurring in a  particular city of a country in a given year. It would not be altogether  improper  to  surmise that similar events may have taken place in a different  US city/ different country/ different year.  

Accordingly, I  personally feel that  Icarus' 1st and 3rd  answer in terms of his first reply as well as  the responses posited by the members till date are also accurate.

« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2006, 11:27am by K Sengupta » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »