wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Easy: Willywutang & burning island »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 9:07pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: SMQ, Eigenray, towr, Icarus, Grimbal, william wu, ThudnBlunder)
   Easy: Willywutang & burning island
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Easy: Willywutang & burning island  (Read 180822 times)
whisper

Email

Re: Easy: Willywutang & burning island  
« Reply #25 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 9:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

he could just jump in the water and drown. that way he wouldnt be burned to death. The guy is toast anyways. Undecided
IP Logged
ADA man

Email

« Reply #26 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 12:13pm »

This is too easy, If the fire is moving at 1 mile per hour, 5280 feet per 3600 seconds. He can dig a hole  and prepare for the fire to burn over him. He can hold his breath for 13.6363 seconds and the fire will have traveled 20 feet, leaving a 10 foot buffer on each side, or double the 13.6363 and make it a 20 foot buffer on each side. As the fire passes over him the tail wind will clear the atmosphere away from WillyWu. Anybody can hold their breath for 28 seconds......PROBLEM SOLVED......ADA man
IP Logged
Murderer

« Reply #27 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 2:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else Who cares if WillyWutang burns, drowns or is hanged to death? What I would do is Murder him before anything else
Wink
IP Logged
Jackal

Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 1:40pm »

he could ring the fire brigade, it doesnt say that he's on his own, infact 'hanging out' implies he's not.
IP Logged
jmlyle

« Reply #29 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 7:37am »

He could teleport himself to the opposite side of the fire, and then he could use his super powers to stop the fire.  

After that, I'm really at a loss as to what he could do.
IP Logged
me

Email

« Reply #30 on: Feb 6th, 2003, 3:28pm »

btw wouldnt standing on ash like some people are saying hurt a bit?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #31 on: Feb 6th, 2003, 11:48pm »

not if it has cooled down..
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Smartass

Email

« Reply #32 on: Feb 8th, 2003, 1:14am »

What are you guys idiots, First of all bush fires move very fast, alot faster than the question says, so Willy's got 10 hours to dig himself a decent hole  to cover himself with than if he clears the immediate area of any items that well catch fire all he has to do is cover himself when the time comes and he survives the fire.  

If you think this is stupid, well just look at Australian bush fires quite a few people have survived by burying themselves in a shallow hole.
IP Logged
drunksage

drunksage   compgamelover

« Reply #33 on: Feb 21st, 2003, 12:13am »

Willy set the fire. He's chillin' at point A.  Wink
IP Logged
Kitty

« Reply #34 on: Mar 24th, 2003, 3:04pm »

Like most people said:

The question : "can willywu do to save himself from burning to death?! "

The answer: He has 10 hours to kill him self without buring to death.  

Neway if he does the solution of making a second fire, there will do nothing left to eat so he will die  Grin  

He can also try and signal to an nearby insland to save him.

And i m sure if his hanging out on the island alone it means he is a loner therefor no one cares if he dies. Why should we?  Grin
IP Logged

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would still be so stupid that we couldn't understand it.~Kant (1724-1804)
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #35 on: Mar 24th, 2003, 3:51pm »

on Mar 24th, 2003, 3:04pm, Kitty wrote:
And i m sure if his hanging out on the island alone it means he is a loner therefor no one cares if he dies. Why should we?  Grin

Because he runs a great puzzle site, of course!
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Kitty

« Reply #36 on: Mar 25th, 2003, 8:44am »

Ok, ur rite! but i fink he clever enough to Know what to do.  

And i still dont see why he is "hanging out" in the first place.
IP Logged

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would still be so stupid that we couldn't understand it.~Kant (1724-1804)
dippynuts

« Reply #37 on: May 2nd, 2003, 2:03am »

actualy there are a couple solutions willywu can do
since the fire is going from point B to point A  
all willywu needs to do is jump in the water and swim from point A to point B

if that is not possible the next thing willywu can do is  
gather water wet a spot in between point A and B to make sure that it wont burn (which will prolly never happen) and start a second fire leaving an ashy spot where nothing can burn.

also i noticed that it didnt say wat he didnt have so if there was a fire he mite have a plane or boat so why not just leave the island?

but if that last possibility was ruled out willywu cant survive if the whole forest was burned down. due to the fact that he would have no resources to use to make weapons such as spears to get fish no wood to make fire even if he caught fish or shelter of any kind if there were a storm.
IP Logged
riddler king

Email

« Reply #38 on: Jun 3rd, 2003, 8:01pm »

you guys are thinking too hard. Willywutang knows that the water near the shore is only at most a few feet deep. He can wade in the water and wait till the fire stops. There is a problem about food so he will die anyway!
IP Logged
Bright eyes, Sad soul

Email

« Reply #39 on: Jun 6th, 2003, 9:02pm »

From what I learned in my global science class, forest fires are a necessary part of nature if well under control.  I also learned that a forest fire only burns whatever is near the ground and most animals are able to escape from harms way bye finding somewhere to hide or by climbing the trees.  I don't remember reading that Willywu can't climb trees, so wouldn't him climbing a tree to avoid the fire and hang out there till it passes by.  If I was informed correctly in class, he should be fine that way.  He won't burn to death, starve to death, or drown to death.  I also think that tsetting a second fire would work too, but what do I know, I'm just a kid. :-/ >:(
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #40 on: Jun 6th, 2003, 9:47pm »

Bright eyes - your teacher has not told you the whole truth. If the underbrush - the stuff close to the ground - is not very dense, or is fairly wet, then the fire does not get very hot, and stays low. The trees get their lower bark scorched, but can easily survive this. Pine stands tend to be healthiest if they undergo such fires on a regular basis (say every 20 years or so).

But that is only one side of the story. If the underbrush is dry and dense, the fire gets much hotter. It climbs to the tops (or crowns) of the trees and spreads rapidly in a great fireball. Nothing exposed to these "crown fires" survives. Animals are all killed, and even the heartiest of trees are destroyed. These are the killer forest fires that fire fighters battle every year in the Western U.S. (I don't know how things are in the rest of the world - what we have here is bad enough.)

Part of the problem we have is that for the first half of the 20th century, the Forest Service did not understand the role fire plays in a forest, in clearing out the underbrush. They fought all fires from the beginning and extinguished them as fast as possible. The result was that the underbrush got very dense. Because it is so dense, crown fires, that kill the whole forest, are now more common.

So if Willy is going to consider climbing trees, he better have a good idea just what he is getting into first. Even for a smaller fire, climbing a tree can be a chancy business. If you get caught in the smoke, you can suffocate just as easily as burning. (Most people killed in house fires die because of breathing smoke, not from the flames.)

Since the sharks around this island make wading or swimming a very dangerous activity in its own right, the backfire may still be Willy's best bet.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
nothstsmart

Email

« Reply #41 on: Jun 12th, 2003, 5:55pm »

I think willywu is on the oppisite side of the fire, the riddle doesnt say that he is on side "B". Wu will not burn to death because its moving a way from him Tongue
IP Logged
Zeke the Geke

« Reply #42 on: Jun 19th, 2003, 7:31am »

on Mar 24th, 2003, 3:04pm, Kitty wrote:
Neway if he does the solution of making a second fire, there will do nothing left to eat so he will die

Last time I checked, people don't eat trees anyway.  What else are you assuming is on the island with him?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #43 on: Jun 19th, 2003, 9:25am »

he could go fishing first, throw the fishes on the part he's going to burn, then afterwards eat cooked fish for the rest of his stay on the island (if he caught enough..)
IP Logged

zack smtih

Email

« Reply #44 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 9:35pm »

a island has to have a beach Duh, and sand cant burn, Duh!
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #45 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 12:43am »

not all islands have beaches..
IP Logged

Anonymous Coward

Email

« Reply #46 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 10:26pm »

For those that don't know, backburning moves towards the main fire, not away from. The fire creates an updraft due to hot air being lighter than cold.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #47 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 11:27pm »

That may be true in some cases, but there is evidence that back burning would be successful. The evidence can be seen in that cinematic acme "The Gods Must Be Crazy II" in which the late N!xau playing a Kalihari Bushman character back burns to save his costars from a bush fire set by the bad guys.  

Now, assuming that Willy is as smart as a Kalihari Bushman may be stretching the limits of probability, but would it be asking too much to suppose that he saw the movie?
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #48 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 12:09am »

on Oct 27th, 2003, 10:26pm, Anonymous Coward wrote:
For those that don't know, backburning moves towards the main fire, not away from. The fire creates an updraft due to hot air being lighter than cold.
I think that depends on several things, mainly the distance between the fires, the force of the wind and the intensity of the fire. But it's a good point.
If the updraft from the original fire is big enough to affect the direction Willy can probably feel it. So he'll probably be able to decide where to set the fire to avoid getting caught between two fires..
IP Logged

The Davinator

Email

« Reply #49 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 8:55pm »

Obviously all that this man has to do is log onto the internet and read your guy's posts.  That's how it got here in the first place!  He's probably readin it right now.  He's got 10 hours for gods sake!
There has to be a simpler explanation then the whole backburning thing.  There has to be something in the puzzle about it.  Your not supposed to be creative in this, your just supposed to give the right answer.  There is probably only one answer.  What it is is unknown to me so, keep tryin!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »