wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Who's who? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:07pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: towr, william wu, Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Icarus)
   Who's who?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Who's who?  (Read 262391 times)
Carl_Cox

Email

Who's who?  
« on: Oct 4th, 2002, 6:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm interested in finding out who's participating in this site, and what they get out of this site.  Any and all details are welcome.

So, for starters, I'm Carl Cox, a CSMS student at Georgia Tech.  I found this site several months ago (no, not from the slashdot site) when a friend of mind asked me the infamous 100 prisoner riddle.  I took a day, got a (not great) answer, took another day, got the better answer (which appears to be the best answer so far).  Then I asked him where he found it.  He directed me to this site, and I've been off and on again since.  

Before this, I collected classic riddles.  My sophomore year, I would stick a riddle on my door, titled "Riddle of the Day"  People would write their answers and slide the paper under my door; the first person with the right answer got credit on the next Riddle of the Day.  It became quite a thing in the hall; people were amazingly competitive.  Some people, having won, would ask for the prize.  This lead to the creating of the Riddle Rules, which you can read at   www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte711e/riddles
People told me they liked the riddle rules, so you guys might also.

Anyhow, all that ended when I moved from the hall, but I kept the riddles and created a "Random Riddle Generator" on my home page (which, unfortunalty, isn't available right now, though I can get you the riddles if you're interested).

More recently, I have enrolled in a course entitiled Online Communities, in which we discuss design decisions of online communities, and how they effect the community itself.  We talked about LamdaMOO, MediaMOO, Habitat (on the ol' commodore 64), ebay, IRC, ICQ, chatrooms, Ultima Online, etc. etc. etc.  For a midterm project, we are required to participate in an online community, and I thought of this one.  I emailed the talented Wu about it, and he was excited, and so I've been interacting since.  I might add that I've been thoroughly enjoying the problem solving process, too.  But it occured to me that noone seems to know much about each other.  And I want to know.

SOOO, if you're interested, follow up to this post with your story!  I'm all ears!  Or fingers, since we're online.

carl
IP Logged
Misha Kruk

Email

Re: Who's who?  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 1:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Male
23y.o.
Software Engineer
Part time grad student at Brandeis University (yes, computer science).
Found the site through Slashdot
Wasted two workdays on it and than stopped. Occasionally come back, usually to post a puzzle, but occasionally to try solving one or two.
IP Logged
Carl_Cox

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 7:40pm »

I'm hurt, and I'm sure Misha is, too! Wink  Besides, my profile destintly says I'm 24 (happy birthday, me! Grin) and that I go to Ga. Tech.

Glad to meet you, Pietro!
IP Logged
martin chase

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19th, 2002, 9:24am »

Alrighty.

My name is Martin Chase, i'm a journeyman programmer in my last year of undergraduate college studying math.  On my weekends i work towards building a multi user game (http://www.FaerieMUD.org).  On my weekdays i work on starting up a business (http://www.perlreason.com).  Every other spare productive cycle goes into linguistics work (http://dev.faeriemud.org/~stillflame/linkparse.html), which actually has application to all three of the previously mentioned aspects of my time expenditures.

I found this site when it was slashdotted, then rediscovered it again recently.  I was trying to come up with logos/slogans/catch phrases/&c. for my company, and, to compliment the name, was looking for reasoning puzzles.  I really enjoy working on these riddles, both as mental strength and flexibility training and as a social activity with my coworkers, friends and family.  This is certainly the largest repository of these sorts of things i have ever seen before.

So one question: outside of alzheimer's or any other memory related disease, what will i do once i'm really old and need mental exercise, but have already exhausted this source?  Or put another way, where do wu and everyone else who has read through and answered most to all of these riddles go on a daily basis for comparable challenges?
IP Logged
rugga

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19th, 2002, 11:04am »

Hi all,
  My real name is Mark Land.  I'm 30-ish years old.  My background is in computer science (especially genetic algorithms and AI), and I've always had an interest in math, game theory and other fun topics.  I've always loved puzzles and games of various types -- I have a good collection of Rubik's cube-type puzzles and have been getting Games magazine almost continuously since I was a kid (anyone else have 20 year old issues lying around?).
  I love Pietro's phrase "preoccupying lack of interest for the practical applications of any kind of science".  For me also the search for "truth and beauty" is a prime motivator.  (Though I've had to suppress that sentiment somewhat for the time being while I pay the bills Undecided  I guess it's not so bad to actually see something useful spring from my efforts.)
  Speaking of which, I'm currently working at a mid-sized software/data company founded by one of my professors a few years back (Parity Computing: check us out www.paritycomputing.com).  I mostly do software project management these days though I still get a chance to do some coding.
  I found this site from slashdot and I've been visiting regularly since then.  I really enjoy the site, and actually it's the only on-line community I've ever felt motivated to post to.  Thanks William Wu for putting it together and maintaining it (also just noticed that I recently became a junior member, thanks again!).

- Mark
IP Logged
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20th, 2002, 2:20am »

Great idea for a thread Carl! I've wanted to know more about our fellow riddlers for quite some time now. I think we're an unusual community, because most people actually don't like puzzles. We should take advantage of this opportunity to meet other people who share this cultivated [and perhaps somewhat masochistic?] interest. I'd really like to see more discussion about things besides riddles, and I'm surprised there haven't been any threads like this one until now.  

My name is William Wu, and I'm the site administrator. I'm 19, currently a senior at UC Berkeley studying electrical engineering and computer science. My interests are in DSP (EE side) and algorithms (CS side); both fields share the characteristics of being grounded in mathematics and involving clever algorithms. Currently I'm going through pre-graduation chaos, trying to choose between these two fields for graduate school applications. In an ideal immediate future, I see myself researching a simple puzzle which hides surprising implications.  

I've actually not always been a riddle freak; in fact it wasn't until the fall of 2001 that I got really hooked on riddles, thanks to some sadistic friends who like to stump me. I started with such problems as Glass Half Full, Single File Hat Execution, Birthday Twins, Differentiation Disaster. All of these problems asked me to pull off something seemingly impossible; these are my favorite kinds of problems. They strongly contradicted my intuitions, and thus were naturally intriguing. I'd hack these problems for a long time, and eventually have epiphanies that frankly made me very happy. Everything was doomed at first, but then I pulled a MacGyver and saved the world! I discovered that I really enjoyed this feeling of mastery, this wave of clarity that you can experience after solving a nonintuitive riddle by yourself. I'd reflect on the solutions and muse over how marvelously clever they were. And there was always a take-home message, a new trick or mathematical lesson to be learned. To think that so much drama and knowledge could be encapsulated in a few sentences!  

Collecting riddles obsessively was the logical next step. By the spring of 2002, I had accumulated a lot of cool problems in my head, and I decided to write them down lest I forget them. This site was the result. It's been ridiculously time-consuming, but the results have been well worth it. By putting it all online, I've had the pleasure of torturing many friends. After slashdot, the number of riddles has doubled since thanks to visitor contributions. But especially rewarding has been all the activity on this forum. What I appreciate most is learning from all of you about different ways to think about problems. I can browse volumes of analysis on problems I thought I had thoroughly solved, and end up reading many ideas I probably never would have thought of.  

Well that's it for now. You can check out my homepage http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu for more about me. Other strong interests of mine include Chinese etymology, psychology, and controversial world history; slick online material for all of these things can be accessed from the main page. Glad to meet all of you!
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2002, 3:36am by william wu » IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
william wu

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20th, 2002, 3:03am »

on Oct 19th, 2002, 9:24am, stillflame wrote:

So one question: outside of alzheimer's or any other memory related disease, what will i do once i'm really old and need mental exercise, but have already exhausted this source?  Or put another way, where do wu and everyone else who has read through and answered most to all of these riddles go on a daily basis for comparable challenges?

I think I get challenged pretty well on a daily basis at school; actually, usually by the time I get home after crunching through problem sets, my mind is way too tired to think about new riddles posted on this site Tongue I don't find most university coursework challenging in the same manner that these puzzles are, but mathematical studies can give comparable challenges -- particularly studies related to combinatorics and probability. I happen to be taking courses on exactly those topics this semester, and occasionally I encounter some good riddles in these courses.

The issue of problem exhaustion is also of my concern; essentially I'm going through the coupon collector problem. So far I've been pretty consistent at adding a new handful of problems every week. I'd like to say that you'd never have to worry about exhausting this source, because there will always be new problems. However, it gets exponentially more difficult to find clever problems I haven't encountered already, and it's not clear to me how long I can keep this up. I might be sucking up clever problems faster than the world can produce them. Perhaps creating good riddles is harder than solving them?  In the meantime though, stick around, because there's still lots of problems to be discovered and solved!  

Returning to your original question, here are some other sources of mental exercise: Chess, Go, Word Racer on games.Yahoo.com, topcoder.com, and the card game "Set".  Fantastic pattern recognition game, you just have to play it:  

http://www.reed.edu/~mcphailb/applets/set/
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2003, 1:33pm by william wu » IP Logged

Carl_Cox

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21st, 2002, 6:44pm »

on Oct 19th, 2002, 9:24am, stillflame wrote:

Most of my challenges (when I'm not working on riddles...!) come from personal projects.  I'm interested in woodworking; I come up with a programming project that I'm interested in explorting roughly once a month; I'm involved in theatre; I'm a full time master's student with a TAship.  Another challenge is finding time for everything!
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24th, 2002, 2:22pm »

I'm male, from (near) the small town of Cobourg, Ontario. I'm 22, and I recently graduated from the University of Toronto, with a degree in Applied Science.

The program I took is "Engineering Science", a relatively masochistic engineering program with extra math and more breadth, and I specialized in Electrical Engineering. My engineering interests are programming and algorithms, power electronics, systems and control, and a little bit of DSP (but I only took one course Sad). I like building things, especially soldering things. Check out the U of T Engineering Science Design projects at http://www.aerospace.utoronto.ca/design/. I'm in there, under the 0T2s, group 15. My picture is the second one from the bottom, holding all my little creations, and Ian is in the bottom picture. You know, he'd probably like this site ... The red patches on our robots are pieces of "My Fantastic BrushTM".

I was involved in the University of Toronto Bluesky Solar Racing project. Check them out at http://www.blueskysolar.utoronto.ca/. I designed and modeled the aerobody (outside shape) of the car. I could have gone to Australia to participate in the race, but I cared more about my finals ... usually I'm not so responsible!

I have always loved riddles, but the books you get are of poor quality (especially the MENSA ones), and therefore, my love of riddles was never satisfied ... until now! I poopoo on you all who don't like practical things--the beauty of the real world hides behind a seemingly random and brute-force face. Sometimes I think I spend too long on these riddles, but I justify it by thinking about how it will improve my reasoning skills.

I recently bought a house with my wife Debbie, and we live near Rice Lake (about 20 minutes from Cobourg). I guess that makes me "all settled", which is a nice way to be.

I always get ideas of things I want to build or program, but I never get around to them. Maybe someday I'll tell you what my ideas are (or at least the ones that could never make any money!)
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
amitpatil007

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25th, 2002, 12:01am »

hi,my name is amit.i am a student of MIT(india).i found this site through google search engine.
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25th, 2002, 11:13am »

I warned you, so here is one of my inventions.

During one summer of university, I worked at a software company, whose product is a specialized IDE (integrated development environment, ala Visual C++). They had recently been bought out by a major firm in the area of their specialty, and therefore they were making big improvements to their product. For the first part of the summer, I worked on their editor. Can you guess what data structure they used to store the information in the document that a user typed in? A list. (a horrible list they wrote themselves ... cringe!). Because lists have slow random access, they kept a pointer to the last place accessed in the list, since you usually work in only a small area of the data at a time.

I thought to myself: what would be a better data structure for a text editor? A list has slow random access (Which is sometimes used, in an IDE anyways), and a vector has slow insertions (very problematic for an editor!). Is there a data structure which has fast random access and fast insertions?

The answer seems to be no. I couldn't find any standard template class which did this. However, that is not to say that it's impossible to have a tradeoff between a list and a vector. Thus, the idea of the "vectree" was born. Stop me now if something like this already exists...

The idea is to have a tree structure that, instead of storing data in sorted order, stores data like a vector (ie. when you delete things, the indexes of all subsequent data items change). This would allow indexing in O( log n ) and insertion in O( log n ), possibly a good balance between the properties of a list and of a vector, because neither operation is penalized excessively. Of course, this also requires that the tree remain balanced (because insertions will tend to unbalance a tree), but happily my solution led to a very beautiful balancing function.  

It's possible that the balancing method was my biggest achievement, because, as you may know, none of 2-3 balancing, red-black balancing or KVL balancing allow fine control over exactly how balanced your tree is, and they can cause "thrashing", where each subsequent insertion causes a new imbalance. My balancing method allows you to know exactly how balanced the tree is, and to (easily) correct the tree to be exactly as balanced as you want it to be. If you detect an imbalance at one threshold, then correct the imbalance to a tighter threshold, then you can control thrashing to any degree you want to. It also fits in about 15 lines of code Grin

I got partway through writing the class in C++ using templates, but some of the functions (multi-element insertions/removals) took a while, and then I got the wonderful idea that I'd make it as STL-like as I could, and then I got stuck when I tried to write my iterator classes, and satify all the requirements of the STL (which, by the way, doesn't allow a data structure like this, and is very complicated), so it kind of fizzled out. I also had trouble compiling it, because I tried to use the Microsoft VC++ compiler, and its template support was, well ... let's just say that "support" is not the right word.

Maybe I should post this idea as a puzzle in the CS section.
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Kristin Smith

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31st, 2002, 10:33am »

Hi i'm 21 from St. Clair Shores, Michigan.
During the past few months I've been addicted to riddles.  After I figure them out I give them to some of my co-workers and it drives them nuts! Smiley  Anyways I found this site through a search i did online.  It's definately a good one.  If you can  
e-mail me some that would be great!!  BY the way, how do you find out the answers to the ones on the website?
ThAnKs!!!
IP Logged
TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #12 on: Nov 2nd, 2002, 1:46am »

Hi, all. I'm 43 and live and work in Silicon Valley. I got my undergrad degree in mathematics, and I still love it. But I fell prey to the seduction of computers, departed from the true path, and wound up doing my Ph.D. in distributed operating systems. So I haven't learned nearly as much mathematics as I'd like to have. Beyond that, you can follow the link to my Web site for probably more info about me than you'd want.

The tech riddles site is tons of fun for me. It takes me back to my high school and undergrad days when I used to work on problems in the "Point Subset" and "Point Set". These were monthly newsletters that the University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point used to put out for high school and college students, mostly in Wisconsin but also scattered elsewhere. The main content of each issue was a list of new problems and a couple of pages of reader-contributed solutions to previous problems. The best-worded solution would be printed, and other solvers would get their names listed. It was a big thrill for the math geeks to see our names, and sometimes our solutions, in print. I still have my collection of back issues, and perhaps I'll post some puzzles from them.

Oh, by the way, my avatar is a clip from a photo of me when I was 2 years old. I'm blowing on a daisy. I guess I was hoping it would work like blowing on a dandelion, but the petals stayed put.
IP Logged

http://tim-mann.org/
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 2nd, 2002, 7:34pm »

Hooray! I'm not the oldest one on the board! My name's Paul Sinclair, and I'm 40. I started out in physics, but got seduced by mathematics in the middle of my undergraduate career. I ended up with a dual major BS and went on to get my PhD. in Math, specializing in producing very obscure results in Differential Geometry. Didn't look good on a resume Undecided. That and some basic laziness prevented me from pursuing a career in mathematics, so now I am working as an Engineer for a major aircraft manufacturer in Wichita, Kansas (your first guess as to who is probably wrong, but if you are knowledgable on aircraft manufacturers, your second will likely be right).
I have been a fan of Martin Gardner since I was in my teens and have always been interested in anything math-related, though the eclectic way I pursue it leaves great gaps in my knowledge of several subjects. After Scientific American completely dropped true recreational mathematics from it's magazine a couple years ago, I had been without a regular source of enlightened puzzling, and was overjoyed to find this site referenced in a webcomic site I read (called Get With The Program). My only complaint is that some of the interesting threads were hashed out long before I found the site and could offer my two cents  Wink
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Garzahd

mlahut

« Reply #14 on: Nov 5th, 2002, 12:24pm »

My name is Matt Lahut. I grew up in the Albany NY area, went to college at Carnegie Mellon Univ (graduated this past May), and I'm currently living in the Seattle area working for MS, testing the Visual Basic compiler/IDE. So I'm still acclimating to this concept of "the real world".  

Those reading the boards carefully may have noticed that I found these boards after Jonathan_The_Red posted Eric Yeh's Gibberland puzzle to an internal MS puzzle group, which stumped me enough to ask google, and the rest is history.

I've always enjoyed puzzles of various sorts. At least half of the easy section brings back some memories from high school or earlier. And of course, Martin Gardner is the man; I somehow managed to acquire a couple dozen of his puzzles without ever obtaining a Scientific American. The good/bad computer puzzle came from a college course at CMU (15-251, highly recommended if you're a young'un thinking of going to CMU). Near the end of college, I got hooked on topcoder.com, which as been very enjoyable, and even did some development work for them. Say hi to me if you see me there (as Garzahd).  

Outside puzzling, I enjoy gaming of all sorts. Currently switching between the Asheron's Call 2 binge and a new nethack binge for the tournament this month. I also play bridge competitively and watch entirely too much anime. I like bridge and Go puzzles too, but decided that it'd probably be wrong to post them. If there are sufficiently many interested people, let me know and I'll post a couple.
IP Logged
Libby79

nightwalker_79  
Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 10th, 2002, 4:30pm »

Hi I am Libby I was wondering if anyone could give me the answer to the riddle who am I(1). I was asked it the other day by a lady looking for the answer and it has been bothering me since please someone hel so I can put my brain to rest. Huh
IP Logged
william wu

« Reply #16 on: Nov 10th, 2002, 7:58pm »

Hi Libby, welcome to the forum. You can find an answer to that riddle here:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=riddles_eas y;action=display;num=1027922826

For future queries on riddle solutions, please check out the other forums, which are organized by category (easy medium hard putnam cs). You can see all these forums on the main page by clicking on the little house in the top forum menu.

Nice avatar by the way Smiley
IP Logged

Libby79

nightwalker_79  
Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10th, 2002, 11:57pm »

Roll EyesThank you for the help. I saw the answer and did not even realize it. Boy I feel stupid now. Thank William Wu for making me feel welcomed to the forum.
Libby79 Smiley oh by the way I am 23 Live in Nevada and I am a freshman in college at the community college here.  I am studying to be a Vet. Hi everyone. Wink
IP Logged
reranki

« Reply #18 on: Nov 14th, 2002, 5:43pm »

Heh, well my story is linearly dependent on the previous ones so I don't have a whole lot more to add.

I'm 17, a soon to be CS/math major (big surprise there) at _____ (I'll have to wait till April to say for sure Wink. I registered a name a while back but tried very hard soon after to stay away from the forums in response to an old habit I have -- looking at answers way too soon. Wink

My puzzling hobby (er, you know what I mean) began early middle school when I'd beg my mom to take me to the library daily; I'd dig up old SciAm issues on microfilm and spend hours reading Martin Gardner's column. Great fun. Unfortunately I never got much beyond that -- my classmates at school found my conundrums more of an annoyance than a challenge so I had no one to share with. Poor me.  

Later I joined MENSA in hopes of meeting cool people that wouldn't mind sharing a riddle or three, but that didn't happen. It was mainly a buncha old ladies in my local chapter that would rather talk about, well, normal things. Gossip. Cooking. Knitting. Ugh. After middle school, thus, I stopped challenging myself with cute little puzzles and moved on to programming as a pastime. I found this site on slashdot and ever since I've regained an interest in the whole riddle thing.

Thanks, William. Smiley
IP Logged
Capn_Curry

« Reply #19 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 8:37am »

Hi!  My name's Mark, and I'm 22.  I live in Las Vegas, where I work as tech support for broadband internet access on the graveyard shift.  I'm stashing money aside to go to college on, and I'm looking at an A. A. in Photography.  I *used* to major in Computer Science (went to a magnet high school for technology), but decided that as much fun as programming is when I'm working on my own projects and on my own terms, I *hate* doing it in a corporate or professional environment.

I found the riddle site with a very simple Google search for "riddles".  So far, I've been working through the easy puzzles, with a little bit of venturing into medium (and a perusal of the MS section, out of curiosity).  I was very pleased with myself for solving the light bulb puzzle... kicked myself in the butt for hours for failing the coin and wine bottle puzzle.   Roll Eyes  

Looking forward to seeing new riddles, and I'm going to devote some of my long, dull hours here at work to coming up with new puzzles to share.  It is a pleasure and privilege to meet you all.  

- Cap'n Curry

IP Logged
kdkaboom55

kdkaboom55  

« Reply #20 on: Dec 27th, 2002, 11:30pm »

Hi, my name is Khadijah(kah-DEE-jah) and I found this site through a yahoo search. I'm 27 and a nursing student in Detroit, MI. I've always enjoyed riddles and though most of those listed on this site are COMPLETELY out of my league, I enjoyed reading over the rationales and witty commentary in  
the forum.

P.S. anxiously awaiting an answer to the Cryptic Address problem....I also was under the impression that the chick's name is S. Woods, but then I thought, what if the S were supposed to represent a 5, and the address is actually 5 Woods St.?  
Signed,
STILL STUMPED

IP Logged
Crickee

« Reply #21 on: Jan 14th, 2003, 8:44pm »

Helloo...

I'm Nikki....CIS major....living in Orange County, CA....i found this site through yahoo search engine too cuz  i've been searching around for all kind of riddles....i truly luv this site..... Tongue

Nice meeting you all!!!  Smiley
IP Logged
Kevin Hughes

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 5:45pm »

Hi, I'm Kevin and I love this site!  Thank you!

I am a recent computer science graduate of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.  I found this site while searching for sample technical questions to prepare for a job interview next week.

They probably won't ask me the marble question, but this is great for keeping the ol' problem solving skills sharp!

I started with the easys and got the first 4.  But they took a while because I tend to use a "brute force" aproach that usually takes me the long way.

I'll keep plugging away though.  Thanks again!

kjh

IP Logged
Enigma

« Reply #23 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 5:17pm »

eek! What's with all the math, computers and physics going on here? Am I the only chemistry, biology and medicine supporter??  Wink

My name's Jonathan. I'm 18 and I live in Montreal (Canada woot!). I'll be starting at McGill university in the fall and I hope to be a cardiologist sometime in the future. I adore animals, especially unusual ones. I own chinchillas and hedgehogs for example. My sights are set on a bat or some kind of bird of prey next. I've been told I'm on that fine line between impishly charming and just plain weird, but you take what you can get I suppose. I enjoy spending long cool nights alone with someone enjoying their company, or perhaps serenading them with love poetry and I.....ok um off topic there.  

A-hem. Well I found out about the site less than 24 hours ago at 2 in the morning when i entered in riddles in the google search engine. Spent 3 hours straight on the site after that worming my way through the easy section. Most were pretty fun, heh although i found that long debate over the monty hall goat one somewhat hilarious. I'll be starting the medium ones soon which I'm looking forward to.  

When I'm not solving or creating riddles, I'm writing poetry, playing basketball, or trying to figure out a way to get a Nobel prize. So far all I've come up with is steal one, but it's a work in progress.

Amazing site, and cheers to Mr. William Wu for what will no doubt provide me with hours of agonizing entertainment.
IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 30th, 2003, 6:04am »

I registered!!  I have no idea how I originally found this forum.  Many months ago I somehow stumbled on it and took about a month and a half to get almost all the easy and medium riddles and maybe half the hard... without realizing there was a board for discussion.  Thank goodness, because there were a couple that I desperately needed hints on and were driving me nuts.  I have always loved riddles, and I even send out an email update to friends who have moved away every so often and always include a riddle.  It encourages people to write back and keep in touch.

I have been posting for a couple months now and never got around to registering... I tend to put things off... like graduating.  I am 27 and about a year away from my doctorate in aerospace engineering at Penn State.

I just wanna thank William for this great service he provides.  And please, someone please solve the cryptic address.  This one seriously drives me nuts.  I would also like to put out a request for what someone recently called "literary riddles".  Specifically poetic, often rhyming, riddles that tend to be old chesnuts.  The Bilbo/Gollum riddles are prime examples.  They have a certain beauty to them, and though the more recent puzzles are fun, they tend to be more math problems than riddles (particularly in the hard section) though they are still a lot fun to solve.  I guess I am one of those geeks who like to math homework.

I have had fun posting with you all for a while, and now I even get a nifty picture next to my name!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »