wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Who's who? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:13am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Icarus, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Grimbal, Eigenray, towr, william wu)
   Who's who?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Who's who?  (Read 262530 times)
Azgard
Senior Riddler

Just gonna drive around the planet, check it out.

Re: Who's who?  
« Reply #150 on: Apr 5th, 2008, 5:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 3rd, 2008, 7:16am, towr wrote:

Lots of anime and webcomics Wink

Have you ever tried Garfield minus Garfield?  Cheesy Do a search on it, it's hilarious watching John the depressed schizophrenic!
IP Logged

Lots of opportunities are missed because they come dressed in overalls and look like work.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #151 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 7:11am »

on Apr 5th, 2008, 5:00pm, Azgard wrote:
Have you ever tried Garfield minus Garfield?  Cheesy Do a search on it, it's hilarious watching John the depressed schizophrenic!
I've seen it; I don't think I've bookmarked it though. It's fun as a gimmick, but it hasn't held my interest.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Azgard
Senior Riddler

« Reply #152 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 7:16am »

Quote:
Some people are average, some are just mean

I like it, towr! I just noticed and read it, and I like it!
IP Logged

Lots of opportunities are missed because they come dressed in overalls and look like work.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #153 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 7:33am »

on Apr 6th, 2008, 7:16am, Azgard wrote:
I like it, towr! I just noticed and read it, and I like it!
Hmm, now I'm wondering if it sounds better if I'd include 'just', like you did  Tongue
IP Logged

Azgard
Senior Riddler

« Reply #154 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 7:36am »

Woops, I did not intend to modify it...  Embarassed
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #155 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 8:02am »

Well, that's just how memory works. It remembers what it 'thinks' was supposed to be there.
It might work better with the 'just' there. Certainly it'd work better if you told someone "I used to think you were average; but you're just mean" than without the 'just' (not that there are a lot of good opportunities to use such a sentence in the first place; but that just increases the incentive not to botch it).
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2008, 8:03am by towr » IP Logged

Azgard
Senior Riddler

« Reply #156 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 5:32pm »

I am noticing now, as I adapt and begin to integrate myself into this forum, that it appears to be a standard practice not to reveal a persons age in their profile, and not something special or interesting as I had thought it might be when I purposely left it for others to guess at...

Oh well...
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2008, 5:48pm by Azgard » IP Logged

« Reply #157 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 6:26pm »

2 Months later...

Hello, I'm new here as I joined yesterday. Recently, I had found and added-on the firefox add-on called StumbleUpon. Since I enjoy programming, puzzles, and mathematics, I had my initial stumble settings set to those three things while I spent a couple of days opening my mind to the vast size of the internet.

Yesterday, I had Stumbled upon the introduction page of this site. I had completed the first couple riddles linked from that page and joined the forum index.

After recovering from an utter shock at the intellectual abilities of the general poster population here, I came to this topic to type these very words.

So, I'm a freshman in high school. I enjoy being that computer geek in the corner of the room and eating lunch with the others who are proud of being outcasts. With so much free time due to not participating in activities for those who are cool, I have taught myself first year calculus, or at least tried. I think I have learned what is necessary to pass a first year calc test, but I'll never know until I see how much I don't know. It's bliss right now at least. Cheesy

In addition, I've programmed in Java and C++ for a couple of years. I've only worked hard at it this summer though--that is, I've finished my first programming book this summer and I'm starting another. I've programmed trivial programs such as a Punnet Square generator which applies the things I learned in Biogenetics class and writes to a file the punnet square from user input (such as, user: AaBbCcDd X AaBbCcDd), the phenotype ratio, and the genotype ratio of the various possible offspring. It maxes out at 6 traits being crossed due to my algorithm not being that great.

I expect to enjoy sitting around reading others' solutions to the riddles as I don't think I have enough training in the required departments to provide sound solutions promptly. I know that in the single day I've been at these forums, I enjoyed reading the posts here.

IP Logged
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #158 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 5:02am »

Hey, an actual participant, and apparently neither an egotist/troll nor shilling for crappy websites with your sig! Wink  Welcome!

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #159 on: Jul 1st, 2008, 5:36am »

on Jul 1st, 2008, 5:02am, SMQ wrote:
Hey, an actual participant, and apparently neither an egotist/troll nor shilling for crappy websites with your sig! Wink  

Maybe 0.999... is The One.   Shocked  I guess we'll never know for sure..........  Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:03am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
FiBsTeR
Senior Riddler

« Reply #160 on: Jul 2nd, 2008, 7:52am »

on Jun 30th, 2008, 6:26pm, 0.999... wrote:

So, I'm a freshman in high school. I enjoy being that computer geek in the corner of the room and eating lunch with the others who are proud of being outcasts. With so much free time due to not participating in activities for those who are cool, I have taught myself first year calculus, or at least tried. I think I have learned what is necessary to pass a first year calc test, but I'll never know until I see how much I don't know. It's bliss right now at least. :D

Hey, you sound like me two years ago!

If you're into math and problem solving, you might also find the Art of Problem Solving (AoPS) community to be interesting as well, if you haven't heard of it. Also, if you aren't already, you might want to get involved in the American Mathematics Competitions (AMCs), which are national math contests for high school students. Both AoPS and the AMCs are things I wish I knew about as a freshman, so maybe they'll be of use to you.

The good thing about the AMCs is that they test math before calculus; the competition consists of three levels: the AMC, the AIME, and the USAMO (more details in the link above). Here are some example problems to give you an idea of the types of problems on these tests:

---
AMC: A circle of radius r is concentric with and outside a regular hexagon of side length 2. The probability that three entire sides of hexagon are visible from a randomly chosen point on the circle is 1/2. What is r? (2006)

AIME: Consider sequences that consist entirely of A's and B's and that have the property that every run of consecutive A's has even length, and every run of consecutive B's has odd length. Examples of such sequences are AA, B, and AABAA, while BBAB is not such a sequence. How many such sequences have length 14? (2008)

USAMO: At a certain mathematical conference, every pair of mathematicians are either friends or strangers. At mealtime, every participant eats in one of two large dining rooms. Each mathematician insists upon eating in a room which contains an even number of his or her friends. Prove that the number of ways that the mathematicians may be split between the two rooms is a power of two (i.e., is of the form 2k for some positive integer k). (2008)
---

One last thing: the United States Mathematical Talent Search (USAMTS) is another way to practice problem solving skills (and receive prizes for them) in a competitive environment. Here's a sample:

---
USAMTS: For how many integers n between 1 and 102007, inclusive, are the last 2007 digits of n and n3 the same? (If n or n3 has fewer than 2007 digits, treat it as if it had zeros on the left to compare the last 2007 digits.) (2006-7)
---

You'll find that a lot of AMC and USAMTS problems get posted around here. Good luck in your high school math career!
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2008, 7:52am by FiBsTeR » IP Logged
teekyman

« Reply #161 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 2:09am »

My name is Prateek, I'm 22, and I was an EECS/Math major at Berkeley that graduated in 2007. I joined a few months ago because a friend (I don't know if she ever registered) knew I collected puzzles and pointed me to this site. I must say that this site/forum is by far the best resource and community I've found on problem solving Smiley

I've been working for a start up company that some of my friends started since graduation, but plan to leave that behind and get a PhD from Georgia Tech in CS theory (ACO program for those familiar with it) I will be starting next year in Fall 09, and am extremely excited by it! (Work, even at a start up company, can get a little meh).

As an undergrad, I greatly enjoyed tutoring/teaching at the Student Learning Center at the UCB campus, and education and teaching are important to me. I continue to tutor there in my mornings while working at the start up company, thanks to start ups having pretty flexible hours Smiley

My future goals are: (in decreasing realistic order)
1. Get an Erdos number of 2
2. Become a professor in CS, one of those that students actually learn from because they are good educators on top of being good thinkers
3. Not have to worry about money and live a life of fulfillment because my start-up company stock will eventually become not-worthless. (This is a long shot :/, especially with the current US economy)
4. Have a Theorem or Algorithm named after me
IP Logged
iono
Senior Riddler

dehydrated water....

C47v1u

« Reply #162 on: Oct 10th, 2008, 6:13pm »

15/m/SF,CA Grin

I'm just a high school student, and a smart one, but definitely not the smartest guy here. I was looking for riddles online, went to the riddles site, and then to the forums, and yeah
IP Logged

So, if I help you, I'll get kicked for ksing, but if I don't, then I'll get kick for not helping...
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #163 on: Oct 10th, 2008, 8:48pm »

on Oct 10th, 2008, 6:13pm, iono wrote:
..a smart one, but definitely not the smartest guy here.

Yeah, we get that a lot.  Grin Welcome iono (though it's been quite a while)
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
nakli

WWW Email

« Reply #164 on: Sep 26th, 2009, 5:41am »

I finally decided to post here after being a silent onlooker for almost 2 years now.

Right now I am 22, doing my computer science degree from a college so lame that it is called 'CAREER Institute of technology and Management', Faridabad, India.

The reason why I dont post much around here is coz this forum depresses me. I feel I am old and despite being in the compsc field i know nothing as compared to the guys here...It was a mistake to get in a lame college (and the killing fact is that i can't quit. why?..read on) wherein my mental level has degraded over past 3 years.

First i would like to give a brief about some of Indian Examinations pertaining to maths and engg.
NTSE(national Talent search exam) is one held by the indian govt annually wherein 300 students from 10th class are selected to receive scholarship throughout their academic career(till doctorate!). The competition faced can be guessed from the fact that their are around 2 million people appearing in 10th class every year in India.

IIT(Indian Institute of Technology) hold JEE(a test testing pre-college maths,physics,chemistry) for selection into these premier engineering govt colleges. they are among the world's best colleges and the number of candidates competing per seat is around 250. Students aspiring to be engineers appear after they complete their 12th class.

Now my story is that I cleared NTSE. I was confident and decided to prepare for IITs. however i couldn't get in Cry(and you get only one try). I got into this college in a hope to be a computer engineer.  
Rather I think I have f*cked myself up. I now have very little knowledge of programming and maths(which i aspired to gain...but could not coz i was required to make stupid projects...and endless exams). Anyways I think i will drop out very soon or I would start to learn. Currently I am determined to learn, and so i m starting with data structures and algorithms...

This forum has so many great brains and I hope to gain from their knowledge...

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009, 5:42am by nakli » IP Logged

I was born naked on a bed with a lady.
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #165 on: Sep 29th, 2009, 5:03am »

Cheer up man, you're just 22, life is barely beginning. And if you're really interested in programming and maths, it's not that difficult to learn it on your own. Come to think of it, some of the experts we have here are self taught.  

Others are just born that way. (Seriously, could you guys imagine a 5th grade Eigenray learning how to factorise quadratic equations ? Tongue )
IP Logged

rasagna

Email

« Reply #166 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 3:46am »

Hi,

I am Venkat Rasagna from Hyderabad .. I am currently doing
 masters in comp science in IIIT-Hyderabad.  I have known this  
site through my friend Maruti.  
I hope this site will be useful for me.

Have fun .. enjoy

-- Venkat Rasagna
IP Logged
psofttech

Email

« Reply #167 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 7:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello,  

I'm Chintan and I found this site very much interesting. I'm glad to be a part of this website. Thank you.

I found interesting questions and they are technically strong,
IP Logged
guptaharsh18890

« Reply #168 on: Dec 28th, 2011, 10:59pm »

hi,my name ia harsh.i am a student of MIT(india).i found this site through google search engine.
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

Re: Who's who?   alien2.jpg
« Reply #169 on: Jan 2nd, 2012, 12:36pm »

Here’s a picture of mine when I was a kid living in London with my parents. I’m not sure why but it makes me laugh. I can’t believe that was me.
IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #170 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 9:09pm »

You're right, I can't believe that's you either. I always thought you'd look something like this.

IP Logged

alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #171 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 6:21am »

Some aliens take on the appearance of human beings. Tongue
IP Logged

EEGBrainTrainer

http://sierraee g.com/

« Reply #172 on: Jan 22nd, 2012, 5:19pm »

on Oct 4th, 2002, 6:21pm, Carl_Cox wrote:
As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm interested in finding out who's participating in this site, and what they get out of this site.  Any and all details are welcome.

So, for starters, I'm Carl Cox, a CSMS student at Georgia Tech.  I found this site several months ago (no, not from the slashdot site) when a friend of mind asked me the infamous 100 prisoner riddle.  I took a day, got a (not great) answer, took another day, got the better answer (which appears to be the best answer so far).  Then I asked him where he found it.  He directed me to this site, and I've been off and on again since.  

Before this, I collected classic riddles.  My sophomore year, I would stick a riddle on my door, titled "Riddle of the Day"  People would write their answers and slide the paper under my door; the first person with the right answer got credit on the next Riddle of the Day.  It became quite a thing in the hall; people were amazingly competitive.  Some people, having won, would ask for the prize.  This lead to the creating of the Riddle Rules, which you can read at   www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte711e/riddles
People told me they liked the riddle rules, so you guys might also.

Anyhow, all that ended when I moved from the hall, but I kept the riddles and created a "Random Riddle Generator" on my home page (which, unfortunalty, isn't available right now, though I can get you the riddles if you're interested).

More recently, I have enrolled in a course entitiled Online Communities, in which we discuss design decisions of online communities, and how they effect the community itself.  We talked about LamdaMOO, MediaMOO, Habitat (on the ol' commodore 64), ebay, IRC, ICQ, chatrooms, Ultima Online, etc. etc. etc.  For a midterm project, we are required to participate in an online community, and I thought of this one.  I emailed the talented Wu about it, and he was excited, and so I've been interacting since.  I might add that I've been thoroughly enjoying the problem solving process, too.  But it occured to me that noone seems to know much about each other.  And I want to know.

SOOO, if you're interested, follow up to this post with your story!  I'm all ears!  Or fingers, since we're online.

carl

I would be very interested in your riddle collection!

I introduced myself on another page already, but here's a recap.

I'm a neurofeedback therapist and I'm always looking for ways to help my clients exercise their brains between sessions.  I found this site today while searching for ideas.

My clients range in age from kids to the elderly, so I need a wide range of challenge levels.  I have been looking at old kid's riddle books, but haven't come up with much that hasn't been heard over and over.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd be grateful.  So far this site looks like a goldmine for me!
IP Logged
chrysanthy

« Reply #173 on: Feb 12th, 2012, 9:52pm »

chrys
editor  
like gardening,drawing,singing and dancing
riddle is riddle
IP Logged
arun gupta

hello friends :)

« Reply #174 on: Apr 11th, 2012, 2:36am »

Simply say.... I Am What I Am  Cool
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »