wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Who's who? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 5:38am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, william wu, SMQ, towr, Icarus, Eigenray, Grimbal)
   Who's who?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Who's who?  (Read 262493 times)
simplicity

Re: Who's who?  
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28th, 2003, 12:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Darlene here. I've been collecting riddles since I was 7 years old. I'm involved in an AI project which keeps me pretty busy and when I'm not working - I need something to distract me.  
I'm 25 and been at my job for 8 years. We've come along way since 8 years ago...as any of you who know anything about AI would know.  

I also don't care for Mensa or anything Mensa related- to agree with some previous posts.

I'm on hiatus for a few weeks and can't sleep, which is typical. Tonight I found this site which seems to be pretty interesting, even though a lot of the riddles are old hat. There are some that I am enjoying working on right now...I'll let you know when I figure them out.
IP Logged
khristoma

Email

« Reply #26 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 5:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Huh I am very confused  I have a joke that is getting on my nerves that I cant ANSWER!!!
here it is :

The man that makes it does not buy it
the man that buys it does not use it
 the man that use it does not know it  
what is it?
IP Logged
simplicity

« Reply #27 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 11:57pm »

A coffin.  

In fifth grade, the riddle went...

The man who makes it, sells it.
The man who buys it, never uses it.  
The man who uses it, never knows he's using it.  
What is it?

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2003, 12:04am by simplicity » IP Logged
Eric Ford

Email

« Reply #28 on: Mar 10th, 2003, 2:37pm »

Smiley Hey All!!!
I came to this site by searching. So far i love this site. I use these riddles in science class to help pass the time. Together me and my friends ponder over them for days until we find what we think is the best answer. When we do we post it or look at other posts to see how well we came to the answer. I love this site (once again) There is a huge base of riddles that will keep us thinking for semesters  Cheesy. Well go Louisville Cardinals and keep the riddles coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Ford
IP Logged
KicksGenius

Email

« Reply #29 on: Mar 14th, 2003, 1:49pm »

Hey,  
My name is Alex Wright, I am a 15 year old male with a grade 10 education, albeit IB. I know nothing of coputer science, although it interests me deeply. I like math a hella lot, got 95% right now. I found this site when I was looking for answers to riddles about three weeks ago. I guess I've just kinda stuck.
IP Logged
k0m0d0

4667111 4667111    

« Reply #30 on: Mar 22nd, 2003, 7:37pm »

Hi, my name is Kris Botha. I found this site while searching the web for riddles. I have a BS degree in Math/CS from UBC (Canada), and my work interests include graphics and games programming.  

I like the idea of having at least 1 unsolved riddle in one's mind at all times - it gives the o'l subconscious something interesting to do and provides you with a sense of accomplishment when you do solve it.  
I think that a familiarity with riddles is a great problem-solving tool in the sense that many riddles are merely instances of well-known mathematical / philosophical concepts.

I am new to this board, but I look forward to perusing the forums and acquainting myself with other solvers' methods of analysis. I also find it very amusing to read discussions that pick apart (vague) puzzles in horrifically interesting detail (e.g. the riddle involving the Professor's planned "surprise" test).
IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #31 on: Mar 24th, 2003, 7:47am »

At long last, here's my post to this thread.

My name is wowbagger - no wait, it's not! Maybe I spend too much time on this forum...
Non-riddlers use to call me Markus. As you may already know, I'm 27 and live in Germany. In the northwestern part, to be a little more precise, although I was born and raised in Bavaria. No, I don't wear lederhosen!

I'm a fully-fledged physicist, but not quite grown-up - and fond of it! The not-so-amusing details: Diploma thesis on some condensed matter theory stuff, now working on my Ph.D. thesis in the area of predictability of chaotic models. Not the kind of models you have in mind!

Among my hobbies are chess, music, literature, films (way too few shown with subtitles here Sad), foreign languages and philosophy. And math. Roll Eyes
Oh, and English humour.  Grin   -> Zum Lied ->

I found this site through a search for math-related riddles. Like Pietro, I hadn't heard of slashdot before either!
A huge thank you to William for putting so much time and effort into this increasingly enigmatic site! Cheesy
Thanks also to all fellow riddlers for their brainstorming and brainteasing!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2003, 7:49am by wowbagger » IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
Kitty

« Reply #32 on: Mar 27th, 2003, 1:58pm »

Hiya

im Nina, im 13 and found this this by googling. i love this site and at school people are alway begging me for the answers to the riddle so im kind of a mystery person.

I think this site is wicked!!!!!!1 Grin
IP Logged

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would still be so stupid that we couldn't understand it.~Kant (1724-1804)
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #33 on: Apr 14th, 2003, 8:28am »

Hi, I'm rmsgrey, and I use that name everywhere I go online (every so often I run it through search engines and have yet to find anyone else using it).

I've posted a few comments in the Hard puzzles forum, before deciding I might want to edit the occasional reply and joining up.

I'm 23, and currently taking a year out after graduation (Maths/Computer Science). I have at least one riddle I haven't seen around here yet, which I might get around to posting sometime.

Edit: See, I said I thought it'd be useful! Anyway, I found this site while searching for information on Rubik's Cube - primarily focussed on the God Number.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2003, 8:30am by rmsgrey » IP Logged
maryl

Email

« Reply #34 on: Apr 19th, 2003, 12:49pm »

Yo all;
My name is Mary Lou. I originally posted my Introduction in the Easy Section-my sense of direction always was a little off; or maybe it was a self-esteem issue-ha.
I live west of Toronto, Ontario. I'm 41, and always had a little thing for riddles. I enjoy the use of this forum, and appreciate Wu's efforts in creating it, and keeping it up.
I too enjoy the "literary riddles"-always enjoyed writing and poetry; and some of the stuff I read here is quite a treat.
I also love Art, graphic design, comedy; and the Scriptures.
Keep it coming guys.
IP Logged
mistysakura

« Reply #35 on: Apr 20th, 2003, 6:27pm »

Hi, my name's Ada.  I'm 14, and am seriously comforted by the fact that at least 3/4 of the people here are older than I am, since I can't solve half the riddes they can.

I like chess, reading and classical music.  Very bizarre interests for a teenager, especially a girl, I know.  but I'm weird, and you'll just have to put up with it.

I found this site with Google (I didn't mention nother one of my interests was riddles, because I thought it would be obvious.)  I decided to go look for some riddle, real brainteasers, instead of 'Who-am-I's and one-liners.  I love this site - it gives me something to think about.  I think my problem-solving ability has improved quite a bit - just the other day, I solved one in seconds, and people kept bugging me for the answer.

My favourite puzzles are logic and chess puzzles.  I don't like maths puzzles, because I can never solve them.  (To this day, I still don't quite get the concept of modulus.  I'm in Year 9.)  When I do chess puzzles, I always have to set them up on my board, or else I can't think clearly, for some reason.  So, my desk is somewhat cluttered with fallen chess pieces half the time, and my mother bugs me about it.

Anyway, back to something you'd actually be interested in.  One of the reasons I like this site is because it is not so easy to find the answers.  For instance, the 5-move checkmate puzzle really made me think, and if the soultion had just been right there, I might have just given up.  I did at the end, and looked at someone else's answer on the forum, only to discover that I had only missed 1 very crucial move.  Extremely disappointing thought that if I had kept at it for just two more minutes, I might have found the soultion all by myself.  So, that's my opinion on not showing answers.

Another thing about me - I don't like people who blindly follow their religion, and believe it because they have never thought to go into depth and use their innate reasoning.  I have no problem with true believers, but I hate sheep.  Especially when they're intelligent people - it pains me.

I'd love to be a writer someday, but as you can tell, I'm not doing too well.  I can;t even find a way to end my post.  so here's my best attempt.

This site should be listed under the definition of 'brainpower' in all dictionaries.
IP Logged
Kitty

« Reply #36 on: Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:48am »

Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I m not the only teenager who uses this site and doesen t understand half the riddles on it!
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:49am by Kitty » IP Logged

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would still be so stupid that we couldn't understand it.~Kant (1724-1804)
Marla

Email

« Reply #37 on: Apr 24th, 2003, 9:17am »

Hello Beautiful People

My name is Marla and I am a 26 year old secretary from England.

Grin

I finished my maths degree a while back now and went into teaching.  I am currently occupationally slumming as a PA- It's the new black (Douglas Coupland, Generation X).

With regards to the 100 prison door puzzle.  When I was a teacher, I came across this puzzle in a slightly different form and although I didn't know the solution, I thought I'd give it a go, just for a laugh.

You get the kids to stand up and then sit down if they are a multiple of 2, then swap if they are a multiple of 3 etc.

Unfortunately, due to only having 33 kids in my class, with some pretty thick ones in the mix, as you can imagine, i didn't find a solution, I just ended up with a lot of confused looking kids and that's about it.

I've just had another go at it with my own fair brain, however, seems to have rotted: Not sure why...

Nice to find a site that may keep me challenged before I give up the ghost and end it all by becoming a treckie techie.

Lovely to meet you all.  

IP Logged
jon_G

« Reply #38 on: May 1st, 2003, 7:17pm »

Well to start my name is Jonathan Gould 17, I live in Lady Lake Florida and curently attend high school in the 11th grade, while starting my business in auto sales and devoting most of my time to starting and maintaining my friends cell phone store.

I have no idea how I found this site all I know is that it was about a year ago. I can say I am probably one of the few people here that doesn't love math Undecided, but I love the mental challenge that I get from reading and posting riddles. And who can forget willy wutang.ohh the memories.

My hobbies are riddles, business books, boxing, researching great business peaple(I found out I am related to the,at his time, fabulously wealthy Grin railroad owner Jay Gould) and maintaining my body and mind. heh this site helps alot in that area.  

I hope that this site continues to grow and that the riddles never run out. I thank William Wu for the creation of this site and the effect it has had on everyone here. Well that's it for now, I guess I'm not that interesting. Smiley
IP Logged

Why climb the corporate latter, when you can own it.
otter

« Reply #39 on: May 5th, 2003, 1:19pm »

After reading the previous posts, it seems I might be the geezer in this crowd.  My name is Karl Ott and I'm a 51 year young male.  I am the pretreatment technician for the local wastewater utility here in southern Maryland (just south of Washington D.C.) after retiring from my previous job as a project manager for another utility.

I have always been intrigued by riddles, especially how they challenge one's accepted thinking and interpretation.  I've done my share of forehead smacking (followed by a "DUH") when reading the various fora and discovering I wasn't even in the same county, let alone the same ballpark with my answers.  I've got to admit, it's been a long time since I've had to deal with any math on the level exhibited on this site.  I try to follow, but math beyond calculus II was not required for us poor chemistry majors in the early 70's.  Thanks to those members whose posts explain their answers in some detail.  Cheesy  I guess you'd call me a lurker, but not for lack of trying.  Ususally, by the time I work out a problem (at least those I
can can can can can can can can can can can can can can
work out), the thread has been answered or I don't have anything new to add to the thread.

I don't remember when, but I found this site quite by accident after following a series of links that started on The Straight Dope site.

Many thanks to William for all the work you do on this site and for keeping my mind pliable (even if somewhat battered). Tongue
IP Logged

We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Eliot
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #40 on: May 20th, 2003, 8:29am »

Glad to see you otter, I was probably the one who posted the link here from the Straight Dope.  Glad to see it pulled in some interesting people.
IP Logged
otter

« Reply #41 on: May 21st, 2003, 6:48pm »

on May 20th, 2003, 8:29am, aero_guy wrote:
Glad to see you otter, I was probably the one who posted the link here from the Straight Dope.  Glad to see it pulled in some interesting people.

Glad to be here aero_guy.  I love the Straight Dope - I read it religiously.  Cecil and the SD Staff are great!  I wish they still had the TV version, though.
IP Logged

We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Eliot
Sha

Email

« Reply #42 on: May 26th, 2003, 6:38pm »

Hello, I'm currently 14 years old, male, and can solve just about half the riddles on this site, it takes alot of thinking. I have no knowledge of advanced math, I found this site through google.
IP Logged
Lightboxes

« Reply #43 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 9:09pm »

I did the same thing Aero_Guy did.  I read the riddles and didn't realize until months later about the forum.  

I'm currently 21, a woodworker, student at the U of Utah, and love to all types of things, such as drawing, snowboarding, basic electronics, and of course...riddles.  I have a diploma in cabinetry and now I'm working on a business major.  

I have so much trouble understanding all that higher math probability and blah blah blah.
.:=-=:..:=-=:..:=-=:..:=-=:..:=-=:..:=-=:..:=-=:..:=-=:..:=-=:..:=-=:..: =-=:..:=-=:.
I LOVE the extreme analytical approach that basically everyone attempts to use.  It has helped me in my everyday life to find the truth of situations...I won't go into this idea so I don't take up unnecessary space.
IP Logged

A job is not worth doing unless it's worth doing well.
jelte

Email

« Reply #44 on: Jun 10th, 2003, 5:19am »

Hi i am Jelte (that's a male name in my country), i'm fiftheen years old and i am from the netherlands or whatever you call it. i don't have work because i go to school. i only speak engish when i'm in the english lesson on my school. and when i'm not in the english lesson i speak dutch. i got on this site because i need some classic old riddles for a role playing game (rpg) that i am playing called advanced dungeons and dragons (ADandD). most of the riddles on this page are really usefull so i'm glad i've found this site. beside's going to school and playing ADandD i like playing chess and computergames. well that was it i guess.
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

« Reply #45 on: Jul 4th, 2003, 4:57am »

Hi,
My name is Arun Iyer.I am 19 , from India and currently third year student of computer engineering.

My Academic Interests : Maths(especially number theory) and Physics(especially quantum mechanics)

My Other interests : sports(all kinds except golf),music(from classical to rock),movies(action,horror preferred) and reading(from literature,philosophical to comic books).

My hobby : philately (not collected many tho just 27)

My word on this site : Thanks William.This site is awfully great.(signed : ox-y-moron)   Grin  Wink  Smiley
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
vipin_jain

« Reply #46 on: Jul 26th, 2003, 4:41am »

Hi,
I m vipin jain...
I m working in soft comp in india..
i found that site through google..mainly for soving puzzles..

IP Logged
Elysha

Email

« Reply #47 on: Aug 8th, 2003, 1:29am »

I just discovered this website today, and couldn't resist spending over three hours among the riddle collections (easy section -- hopefully I'll get better with practice!).  I've loved straightforward logic problems since I was a child.  I find riddles with creative twists to them much more difficult but also dazzling once found out.  I really like the fact that there isn't an answer page, since I'm easily tempted.  I expect I will be a fairly regular visitor, as time permits.  The discussion forum is excellent!

I'm 19 years old, from California.  I'll be starting this Fall in Oxford University as an undergraduate studying Politics, Philosophy and Economics.  I also have passions for literature, particularly the works of Jane Austen, and for choral singing.

Thanks to William Wu for this website!  Go Berkeley!
IP Logged
m|ndless

Email

« Reply #48 on: Aug 9th, 2003, 12:59am »

hi i'm will am sixteen and i take science and maths

i found this site 'bout two weeks ago and have been here everyday since... kinda an obsession it's become... that my folks think i'm loony... don't any of your's do?

well but i can't solve everything here yet... in fact dunno most of it(and hence newbie)

hobbies... riddles, and i'm obsessed with computer games too
IP Logged
Aisha

Email

« Reply #49 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 9:36am »

Hey I'm Aisha.  Politics, philosophy and economics student at oxford, probs one of the fairly few girls on this site (few that register or post anyway it seems).  One of my friends posted a link to this site on another forum I used.  It's really cool!  And the riddles are something to think about whilst doing the pretty boring jobs i have to do (like waitressing) this holiday.  Anyways, I'm getting better at them, pretty much solved a medium one today Smiley - I will make it to hard!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »