wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - French »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 6:31am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Grimbal, william wu, towr, Icarus, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, SMQ)
   French
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: French  (Read 1008 times)
Cicely

Email

French  
« on: Dec 13th, 2002, 12:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

1. What is a letter which the Paris will fall to ennemy if you cross this letter out?  

2. While exploring the African jungle, a scientist sent his nanny a picture to let her nanny know about his condition at that time, because his nanny is illiterate. In his pix, he drew 100 and G (inside 100). His nanny was very happy when seeing his pix. She was sure that he was fine. Why?  
IP Logged
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

Re: French  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 8:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm getting the feeling that these riddles work only in French. Is this true? If so, I guess that if you cross out the "a" in "Paris", it becomes "Pris", which means "taken" in French. Is this right? I'm a bit rusty.

The other one I'm still not sure...
IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 7:01am »

Since no one else replied for such a long time, I'll have a go at the second one (hidden by colour):

"G dessiné dans 100" -> "J'ai dessiné dansant."
(sorry if the accents aren't displayed correctly on your browser - and for the "wrong" quotation marks Wink)
The problem I have with this solution is that it's - in my opinion - flawed: I think it should be "J'ai dessiné en dansant." Maybe some native speaker could comment on this?

Anyway, I'd say that the nanny mustn't be completely illiterate. Otherwise she couldn't understand the drawing, could she?
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2003, 7:03am by wowbagger » IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 11:08am »

Not necessarily... illiterate usually implies (as far as I know) that you can't comprehend written words and letters... most illiterate people would still comprehend pictures. If I recall, some fast-food places have picture menus, so that reading-impaired folk can look at the pictures and decide they want a burger.

On another note, what do your French answers mean, wowbagger?
IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10th, 2003, 12:15pm »

on Jan 10th, 2003, 11:08am, Jeremiah Smith wrote:
Not necessarily... illiterate usually implies (as far as I know) that you can't comprehend written words and letters... most illiterate people would still comprehend pictures. If I recall, some fast-food places have picture menus, so that reading-impaired folk can look at the pictures and decide they want a burger.

I don't have a problem with the notion that an illiterate person can recognize a burger. However, the nanny would have to recognize the letter "G" and the numeral "100" and know how to pronounce them. I just thought that might be a bit too much, but it's not the point anyway...

Quote:
On another note, what do your French answers mean, wowbagger?

Hopefully my French isn't too rusty, I suggest the following:

"dessiné" means "drawn" (past participle),
"dans" means "in",
"J'ai dessiné (en) dansant." means "I drew while dancing." (maybe also the other way round)

Don't ask me whether that's a reasonable thing to do. Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2003, 12:16pm by wowbagger » IP Logged

Kitty

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29th, 2003, 12:01pm »

I speak french and must say your is not bad. The answer seems to make sence and i found the same one.

And it with the "en" is the correct way of saying it:  J'ai dessiné en dansant
but the riddle does not have en. I think it is just to give the gist of things it don t matter if it there or not.

Then again i have just been thought to speak french not write it down so it might be wrong.  Grin
IP Logged

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would still be so stupid that we couldn't understand it.~Kant (1724-1804)
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 2:50am »

on Mar 29th, 2003, 12:01pm, Kitty wrote:
I speak french and must say your is not bad. The answer seems to make sence and i found the same one.

Thanks. Well, seeing how much time I invested in studying French, it'd better be quite good.  Wink
And thanks for the feedback. I'm glad someone finally comments on this one.  Smiley

Quote:
Then again i have just been thought to speak french not write it down so it might be wrong.  Grin

Hope you'll have fun learning it!
Foreign languages broaden your horizons and open up so many possibilities - like whole universes of new riddles!  Grin
IP Logged

Kitty

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 7:37am »

wahoo!!! more studying!!!!

I think i ll just stick wiv speaking the language not writing it.  

Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2003, 7:38am by Kitty » IP Logged

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we would still be so stupid that we couldn't understand it.~Kant (1724-1804)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »