wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - mentally disordered criminals »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:39am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Icarus, SMQ, Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, towr, william wu)
   mentally disordered criminals
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: mentally disordered criminals  (Read 3861 times)
antkor

mentally disordered criminals  
« on: Dec 14th, 2013, 3:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The warden of a prison for mentally disordered criminals invited Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson to his prison to solve a difficult case.
He informs our two friends that his prison is inhabited only by mentally disordered criminals and doctors. But it seems that something wrong goes on. The criminals behave like doctors and vice versa. All inhabitants have invented and agreed upon following the rules below.
A. Some people have become ''masters'' of the remaining. Everyone has at least one ''master''.
B. Nobody becomes a person's master if he does not believe that this person trusts himself.
C. There is somebody that trusts all the criminals but trusts none of the doctors.
D. For any given person X exists a person Y that trusts only the ones that have a ''master'' that X trusts. (meaning that if a person Z has at least one master that X trusts, then Y trusts Z, otherwise if X trusts none of Z's ''masters'', then Y does not trust Z)
E. Each person either trusts or does not trust somebody else.
F. A non- mentally disordered person understands the trust relations of everyone else as they are, whereas a mentally disordered person understands the trust relations of everybody else in the opposite way.  

Watson: So Sherlock this is indeed a strange case, ain't it? How are you gonna solve it?
Sherlock: Elementary my dear Watson. It is obvious that either a criminal is not really mentally disordered or that a doctor is mentally disordered himself!

How did Sherlock draw this conclusion?
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2013, 7:04pm by antkor » IP Logged
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: mentally disordered criminals  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2013, 4:55pm »

C and E imply that there are either only criminals or only doctors.
IP Logged
antkor

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2013, 7:02pm »

on Dec 14th, 2013, 4:55pm, Grimbal wrote:
C and E imply that there are either only criminals or only doctors.

Sorry, maybe i wrote it the wrong way. What E implies is that every person inside the prison either trusts somebody or does not trust him. And that goes on for every inhabitant of the prison. As far as I am concerned, E is there to eliminate neutral behavior towards others.
IP Logged
antkor

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2014, 1:48am »

anyone who wants to try this one before i give the solution?
IP Logged
Dao007forever

« Reply #4 on: Mar 2nd, 2014, 8:15pm »

A, B, C, E, and F seems to be enough.

Assume all doctors are mentally sound and all criminals are mentally disordered.

Take the member Z in (C). Z's master can't be a doctor, since Z doesn't trust doctors, and so, the doctors believe Z doesn't trust them. Z's master can't be a criminal either, since Z trust criminals, and so, the criminals believe Z doesn't trust them.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2014, 8:15pm by Dao007forever » IP Logged
antkor

« Reply #5 on: Mar 7th, 2014, 3:43am »

I think you misunderstood instruction B. As I read it (and mean it), if I am A and you're B, in order for me to become your master (or anybody else's), I must think you trust yourself, not me necessarilly. Also, no instruction is given by chance, all of them are needed to solve the problem (because you ommit D).on Mar 2nd, 2014, 8:15pm, Dao007forever wrote:
A, B, C, E, and F seems to be enough.

Assume all doctors are mentally sound and all criminals are mentally disordered.

Take the member Z in (C). Z's master can't be a doctor, since Z doesn't trust doctors, and so, the doctors believe Z doesn't trust them. Z's master can't be a criminal either, since Z trust criminals, and so, the criminals believe Z doesn't trust them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »