wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Cryptic Address »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 4:06am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: william wu, Icarus, SMQ, Grimbal, towr, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder)
   Cryptic Address
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cryptic Address  (Read 14896 times)
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

Cryptic Address  
« on: Nov 20th, 2002, 1:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Willy Wutang is writing to his overseas sweetheart. He writes a steamy love letter, seals the envelope, and then inscribes the following cryptic address on the front:

Wood, S
April
England

Strangely enough, the letter reaches its intended recipient. What is Willy's sweetheart's address?
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Garzahd

mlahut

Re: Cryptic Address  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 2:57pm »

Any knowledge of British geography required?

Guessing randomly, I'd say that the address means something significant if upside down, but I think that'd require a different font.
IP Logged
Chronos

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 3:24pm »

Willy's in love with the dead-letter clerk, isn't he?
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 10:10pm »

Don't we have to assume that Mr. Wutang's lady friend's address is  

Wood, S  
April  
England  

After all, the letter arrived. But, I get the feeling that a different, better and more refined answer is what you have in mind. Back to the trenches.
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 2:17am »

I'm just guessing, but how about: Somewhere in Greece
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 9:22am »

No knowledge of English geography is required. In fact, I don't even know if this is a valid address (of course it must be, or a letter couldn't have gotten delievered there, but I digress).

Here's a hint to get you thinking:
I didn't make up this puzzle--I just added the street address.
IP Logged

TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #6 on: Nov 22nd, 2002, 4:01pm »

The puzzle doesn't say that Willy put the letter in the mail, just that it reached its intended recipient. Maybe he hand-delivered it after flying overseas to see his sweetheart. But then we have no information about her address at all, except to assume that Willy had some reason for writing what he did on the front, so it probably is some kind of lover's-code abbreviation for the full address.
IP Logged

http://tim-mann.org/
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Nov 24th, 2002, 12:29am »

For what it's worth, willywutang is stumped Cheesy  

P.S. I'm very flattered by all the stories about me. If only I really did have an overseas sweetheart ... Smiley
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24th, 2002, 12:07pm »

Well, you're probably not too overjoyed about the story where you might get an STD Cheesy

Anyway, maybe Willy wrote the address on the back and the post office eventually caught on.
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25th, 2002, 9:21am »

Okay, you guys think you're all so funny, but there actually is a good riddle here.

To fatten up the story, let's say that Willy posted the letter with sufficient postage (his sweetheart doesn't live in the Bureau of Unreturnable Mail), using the regular postal service, and there was some genius working that day that figured out Willy's cryptic address and wrote the more everyday version of the address on the letter so that it could be delivered the rest of the way.
IP Logged

Brett Danaher

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 9:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Listen guys, I come back to this thread EVERY day just to see if someone has made any progress.  I've thought through it a hundred ways and none make sense.  

So does anyone have any thoughts, or does the riddler himself want to illuminate our lives a bit more with another clue?
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 10:11am »

Brett,

I appreciate your consternation. Unfortunately this is one of those puzzles that once you get the idea, you can quickly solve the whole thing. Here's a hint, anyways:

You can probably figure out which part of the address is Willy's sweetheart's first name. But why is it where it is?

If you want, you could also guess which part is the street address, eliminate it, and try the problem that way ...
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2002, 10:12am by James Fingas » IP Logged

aero man

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 11:32am »

Hmm, tricky.  Mayhaps Willy has travelled to April England's small town where everyone knows each other and he therefore doesn't need the full address.  Or maybe his postman is related to her.  OK, that second part is lame.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the letter being local and the overseas sweetheart was a trick to throw us off.
IP Logged
aero man

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 11:35am »

Hmmm, maybe her (or his) name is Samantha Wood, april is the street and England the town?
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 12:00pm »

Good try, Aero Guy.

However, Willy's sweetheart is in England. Yes, the country England. And Willy isn't. Just so we're clear. Wink
IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Dec 12th, 2002, 2:26am »

I've got it.  

April is his girlfriends name, she's Robin Hood's niece, and she lives with him in Wood,S Forest.  

This abbreviation of Sherwood Forest is common knowledge among all British postpeople.  

Jolly good show
IP Logged

TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #16 on: Dec 12th, 2002, 10:08am »

Well, from the hint, I suppose that: her name is April Underwood. But I don't know what the S is doing there, or how this one letter tells the postman where in England she lives. Maybe if I understood the whole thing I'd make Underwood the name of the street or the town. Who knows..
IP Logged

http://tim-mann.org/
Brett Danaher

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 8:10am »

I agree with the "April Underwood" idea, but the "s" is confusing me.  Can't think of any special trick to that.  And of course, after that all I have in England, so I have to get a full street address out of "s" and it's relation to the other words.  We'll see about that...

Any ideas guys?
IP Logged
PSesulka

Where there is a will there is a way

SuperPat99

« Reply #18 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 2:44pm »

Brett and Timman

"April Underwood" makes sense, but if you look at one of the James Fingas hints it says

Quote:
"If you want, you could also guess which part is the street address, eliminate it, and try the problem that way ... "

By looking at the address that was given "April" seems to be the street name.  So I don't know if I would agree with you guys. Also because the "S" wouldn't make sense if you did it that way.

IP Logged
PSesulka

Where there is a will there is a way

SuperPat99

« Reply #19 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 3:53pm »

If I take back what I just said, consider this:

April is also the 4th month, what if that stands for the street address. Meaning "4 April St."
Also If you take a look at "Wood, S"  there is a comma after Wood.  When we write an address we put a comma after the city.

Could the Address be:
Wood, S
4 April St
Wood, England
???

I know this is a pretty weak answer, but I threw it in so maybe one of you, will change your style of thinking when you look at it, and get the correct answer.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Dec 16th, 2002, 11:43pm »

Back with my tuppence

The mystery girl is named S. Wood.  
She lives in Woods upon April in England.

Okay, April Underwood is a more lyric name for a lady, but I'm thinking of Shakespeare who hails from bonny Stratford upon Avon.  

Just some grist for the mill.  
IP Logged

voltrader

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 3:25pm »

Has anyone figured this out yet?

How about another clue?
IP Logged
Capn_Curry

« Reply #22 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 5:15pm »

Okay, I've been boggling over this one for a while... and while I'm not positive I've got it all right, I think I might have the gist of it.  It's time for an Official Cap'n Curry Wild Stab™!  I cross my fingers, hope I get the colour right, and:   I'm thinking April Underwood, 1 Comma Street, Andover, England.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2003, 5:16pm by Capn_Curry » IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #23 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 5:40am »

Well, I found a town called Andover in England, but no Comma Street. There is, however, a South Street which seems rather matching to me. I don't know about the house number though.

BTW:
on Nov 22nd, 2002, 9:22am, James Fingas wrote:
No knowledge of English geography is required.

I'm inclined to dispute this, even if Capn_Curry's idea should be wrong.
IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 11:17am »

Wow, you guys are doing pretty well! My street address still has you stumped though! <maniacal laugh>  

Please note that this story occurs in a hypothetical universe (in which Willy has an overseas girlfriend), and therefore the address, although it sounds perfectly reasonable, may not exist in our universe. That is to say, don't bother Googling.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »