wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - War - good or bad »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:36am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   truth
(Moderators: william wu, towr, Grimbal, SMQ, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, Icarus)
   War - good or bad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: War - good or bad  (Read 39565 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: War - good or bad  
« Reply #150 on: Apr 12th, 2014, 4:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 11th, 2014, 6:05am, goprel wrote:
I think that there is always another way to solution and we can live without war.
If everyone would cooperate to prevent war, sure. But that's not the reality we live in, because some people have nothing to gain by it (or don't think they do). And in any case, not all people are rational or reasonable (or sound of mind).

Quote:
I believe that even in the worst person's heart there is a little bit love. I know it sounds blah blah blah but it is truth.
Sure, Hitler loved kids.  
Unfortunately he despised Jews, gypsies, gays, Slavs, and others he considered "untermenschen".
So how exactly would that little bit of love have helped anyone to stop him trying to take over Europe and exterminating millions of people? Appeasing him certainly didn't help, because after Austria and Czechoslovakia he still wasn't satisfied. Should all of Europe just have surrendered? What kind of solution do you have in mind to stop a dictator that cares not for the freedom and lives of people.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2014, 4:06am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
goprel

« Reply #151 on: Apr 13th, 2014, 3:14am »

Talking about Hitler the problem appeard not in 1939 but more than 10 years ago when nationalism becaome popular in Europe. If people would do some steps in order to stop nationalism than nobody would know ho Hitler is.

I understood your point. Of course in this case Europe should react when Poland and Finland were occupied.  But as I said the reaction should be not in 1939 but more than 10 years ago. And in that case there would be no need of weapons
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #152 on: Apr 13th, 2014, 4:34am »

Some people don't respond well to love letters. Hitler was one of them. After reading a love letter from Stalin, he declared war to Soviet Union.  

You can send me a love letter goprel. I don't mind. If you're a female, a love letter from you might turn me into a caring gentleman and gallant chevalier.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #153 on: Apr 13th, 2014, 10:32am »

on Apr 13th, 2014, 3:14am, goprel wrote:
Talking about Hitler the problem appeared not in 1939 but more than 10 years ago when nationalism became popular in Europe. If people would do some steps in order to stop nationalism than nobody would know ho Hitler is. [...] And in that case there would be no need of weapons
Hindsight is always 20-20. (Although, some would say the conditions for world war II where created when world war I ended, by the crushing terms of the Versailles treaty; so perhaps it was foreseeable.)
Still, it's a lot easier to say that something might have been done than to suggest what could have been done (and which might have actually had a chance to work). What steps should have been taken to stop nationalism? Heck, there's plenty of neo-nazis around now, how do you propose we dissuade them from their hateful, violent path? Now's as good a time to prevent future wars and conflict as any.
IP Logged

goprel

« Reply #154 on: Apr 18th, 2014, 9:21am »

on Apr 13th, 2014, 10:32am, towr wrote:
Now's as good a time to prevent future wars and conflict as any.

There are some wombs saying that the 3rd World war already started. I mean Ukraine and Russia.

EU and USA are doing nothing. John McCain once said that if he would be a President there would be no suchsituation in Eastern Europe.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #155 on: Apr 24th, 2014, 11:20pm »

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229651.200-contemplating-the-pow er-of-war-to-end-all-wars.html
Quote:
[...] 10 to 20 per cent of people in the late Stone Age met their end at the hands of others. [...] the comparable figure for homicide today would be "just" 0.7 per cent [...] historian Ian Morris suggests that over the sweep of history, "war made states, and states made peace" [...]
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014, 11:20pm by towr » IP Logged

EdwardSmith

« Reply #156 on: Jul 17th, 2014, 2:28pm »

Are wars slowing down?. Are there more or less wars in the world today?.
I would like to think that there is some hope for people. That everyone would just forget what all the fighting is about and do something a bit more constructive instead.
I think that the real problem with the world today is that there are just too many people.
Sorry for writing such utter carp, but I like to have a beer this time in the evening.
IP Logged

Schottland Pension
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #157 on: Jul 24th, 2014, 1:50am »

on Jul 17th, 2014, 2:28pm, EdwardSmith wrote:
I think that the real problem with the world today is that there are just too many people.

If that is our real problem, then war must be a good thing, eh?
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #158 on: Jul 24th, 2014, 9:01am »

on Jul 24th, 2014, 1:50am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
If that is our real problem, then war must be a good thing, eh?
Eh, war doesn't kill enough people these days.
A good pandemic would make a bigger dent. Or maybe an asteroid impact (with an object over 10km in diameter)
IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #159 on: Jul 24th, 2014, 8:57pm »

on Jul 24th, 2014, 9:01am, towr wrote:

Eh, war doesn't kill enough people these days.
A good pandemic would make a bigger dent. Or maybe an asteroid impact (with an object over 10km in diameter)

I vote world-wide pandemic. That way, the population is decimated across the board. War and asteroid impact is (relatively) localized.
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
JaneBD

WWW Email

« Reply #160 on: Aug 5th, 2014, 2:44am »

Depends from a purely financial point of view - it's great.
Otherwise it's terrible.
IP Logged

"Do or Do not, there is no try" - Yoda
A Work in Progress
JaneBD

WWW Email

« Reply #161 on: Aug 5th, 2014, 2:45am »

Although without it a lot of countries and states would never have formed the way they have now.

What would the world be like without it.

And since good and bad are meta-physical, do they really matter - since it's all just point of view.
IP Logged

"Do or Do not, there is no try" - Yoda
A Work in Progress
wakiza33

industrial Engineer // Berkeley Alumnus

« Reply #162 on: Sep 23rd, 2014, 11:18am »

Yes, I think there are cases where war serves overall 'good' if assigned logical principles.

3,000 casualties + 500 civilian deaths + 6 million in property damage + 1 million in infrastructure and future emotional damage = 7,000,000 saved lives.

It's a pertinent question today, that clearly is not being given the proper consideration.
IP Logged

Binder Jetting Engineer
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #163 on: Oct 8th, 2014, 9:13am »

WWII was a catalyst for scientific breakthroughs. Without the war and the V-2 rocket, perhaps Americans wouldn't land on the Moon. Unfortunately, atomic bomb was also invented. And this is why I, alien2 and bipartisan, have concluded, that war is good and bad at the same time. Thank you very much.  

Roddy Piper: "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum."
IP Logged

anglia

« Reply #164 on: Aug 20th, 2015, 10:11pm »

I think it depends. If war happens for won something which is for respect then it is good. If it happens to destruct the life of people then it is bad.
IP Logged

ebooks
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »