wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - intelligence or common sense »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:32am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   truth
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, towr, william wu, Icarus, Grimbal, Eigenray, SMQ)
   intelligence or common sense
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: intelligence or common sense  (Read 17310 times)
username101

intelligence or common sense  
« on: Aug 12th, 2007, 1:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is intelligence or common sense more important
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2007, 1:22pm by username101 » IP Logged

"Skiing is a serous addiction... it could almost be compared to crack" - Chris Rubens
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: intelligence or common sense  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 1:58pm »

Well, a lack of common sense tends to get you killed or locked up; a lack of intelligence gets you a job in government and management.  
So depending on which fate you deem worse it can be either. Grin
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 2:13pm »

In general I'd say a combination is more useful than just one or the other. But then again, with intelligence, i would probably have an understanding of common sense...
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
username101

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 3:59pm »

id say common sense would b better then intelligence and u cant choose both mike defeats the purpose of the question
IP Logged

"Skiing is a serous addiction... it could almost be compared to crack" - Chris Rubens
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 11:35pm »

Well, what's the difference anyway ? To have common sense ( which is not so common anyway ), you'd have to be fairly intelligent. To have a high IQ, but not acting sensibly, would definitely reflect a foolish person.
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 11:37pm »

If i had common sense it doesn't mean i'd be intelligent necessarily. e.g. being scammed on the phone, if i were just intelligent i'd think it'd be a good idea, if i had common sense i'd know it were a scam.
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
Aurora

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 7:59am »

Of the people I know, those with more common sense than intelligence seem to be a good deal better off than those who lack in the common sense department.
IP Logged

"In these days, a man who says a thing cannot be done is quite apt to be interrupted by some idiot doing it."- Elbert Green Hubbard
shasta

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 10:44pm »

What is commonly sensible is whatever the common person has been commonly told. The entire thing should be classified as a subcategory of the ad nauseam fallacy. Here's 3 more reasons not to like common sense.

1. Good sense is rare.
2. As often not, common sense is wrong.
3. Whenever anyone tells me they know something because it's "common sense", it strikes me as really meaning "I don't have any real argument for why we should believe it, but I'm strongly convinced of it anyway!".
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 9:28am »

on Jan 19th, 2008, 10:44pm, shasta wrote:
What is commonly sensible is whatever the common person has been commonly told. The entire thing should be classified as a subcategory of the ad nauseam fallacy. Here's 3 more reasons not to like common sense.

1. Good sense is rare.
3. Whenever anyone tells me they know something because it's "common sense", it strikes me as really meaning "I don't have any real argument for why we should believe it, but I'm strongly convinced of it anyway!".

Common sense is mostly noticeable when it goes wrong - either by getting something wrong, or by being conspicuously absent.

Common sense includes things like knowing that water is wet, or having enough sense to come in out of the rain...
IP Logged
shasta

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 9:17pm »

It might help to give an exact definition of common sense. I tend to see it as whatever is commonly believed by the masses, or what one assumes the masses would commonly believe.  

One can certainly conclude that staying out in the rain is a bad idea by looking at the correlation between doing so and catching colds. One can also note that the word "wet" refers to things that are moistened or soaked with liquids and would thus include water. In neither case does one need to hinder oneself by subscribing to common sense in order to do so. It seems the only things common sense gets right are those which are very obvious. In which case, real intelligence does better anyway.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:38am »

on Jan 21st, 2008, 9:17pm, shasta wrote:
It might help to give an exact definition of common sense. I tend to see it as whatever is commonly believed by the masses, or what one assumes the masses would commonly believe.  

One can certainly conclude that staying out in the rain is a bad idea by looking at the correlation between doing so and catching colds. One can also note that the word "wet" refers to things that are moistened or soaked with liquids and would thus include water. In neither case does one need to hinder oneself by subscribing to common sense in order to do so. It seems the only things common sense gets right are those which are very obvious. In which case, real intelligence does better anyway.

Except that there are people who fit the "absent-minded professor" archetype worryingly well - they're scarily intelligent, but (in some cases literally) lack the sense to come in out of the rain.

In general, raw intelligence suffers from "the frame problem" - the question of how to decide what to think about.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 9:43am »

on Jan 21st, 2008, 9:17pm, shasta wrote:
That's sounds more like common knowledge than common sense.
Common sense, I would say, is better described as a way of acting, of solving problems, or perhaps, as an expectation of how the world (generally) behaves; a strategy to cope with every day problems. (And consequently it tends to fail in situations out of the ordinary.)

on Jan 19th, 2008, 10:44pm, shasta wrote:
Here's 3 more reasons not to like common sense.

1. Good sense is rare.
While common sense is often wrong, it quite often doesn't matter when it is. Otherwise natural/cultural selection would have weeded it out. Common sense is a successful strategy; among other things because it is cheap in terms of time and energy.
If something is approaching you at high speed, it is common sense to get out of the way. Now of course, rationally, it matters a great deal what is approaching you. But can you generally afford the time to identify the object coming toward you? And should you take the time to consider in which circumstances you can or can't afford that time?

It's so much easier, and efficient, not to overthink things when there is no need for it. There's typically no need to think about what to sit on, you take a chair; no need to think how you should enter a building, take a door; need to remember something, write it down etc. If there's no chair, door, or paper, you can always consider alternatives then.

Quote:
Plus, "I have no reason to doubt it."

For one thing people often don't have arguments for things that are obvious to them. How would you argue that the sky is blue? Is it even a reasonable question?
What arguments would you expect for 2+2=4, it's almost a basic fact (and not necessarily true at that). If you give an argumentation for it in terms of set-theory most people would look at you strangely.

And there is a reason why common sense is common: it works. Even when it's wrong, it often still works. You can take a squareroot of negative numbers; even though common 'knowledge' says you can't. But for most people imaginary numbers don't apply in their situation; so the common sense approach works. Why complicate things by being right?

Common sense is practical; it works surprisingly well, which is why it sticks around. If anything there is evolutionary pressure in favor of it. It helps to make use of our limited capabilities in a time and resource constrained world. Trying to eliminate it would only make life difficult, and potentially very short.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2008, 9:43am by towr » IP Logged

Azgard
Senior Riddler

Just gonna drive around the planet, check it out.

« Reply #12 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 8:32pm »

I would go for common sense.  

Common sense is a thing not so common these days. Just look at university students on campus: they can be fantastic intelligent students in whatever area they happen to be studying, but they don't even think to look before they walk onto a road or cross a street.   Embarassed  

People who have plenty of intelligence but nothing in the way of common sense make you shake your head and wonder...
IP Logged

Lots of opportunities are missed because they come dressed in overalls and look like work.
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Feb 3rd, 2010, 1:52am »

on Jan 24th, 2008, 9:43am, towr wrote:

What arguments would you expect for 2+2=4, it's almost a basic fact (and not necessarily true at that).

OK, integers are defined as follows:
There is an element e in N and an injection s:N->N (s for "successor").  For each x<>e, there is an y such that x=s(y).

By definition (of the symbols "1", "2", etc)
1 = e, 2 = s(1), 3 = s(2), 4 = s(3), etc.

And addition is defined as
x+e = s(e)
x+s(y) = s(x+y)

From there you can prove
2+2 = 2+s(1) = s(2+1) = s(2+e) = s(s(2)) = s(3) = 4

Quote:

If you give an argumentation for it in terms of set-theory most people would look at you strangely.

Er....
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2010, 2:04pm by Grimbal » IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Feb 3rd, 2010, 3:00am »

Good thing we're not "most people"  Grin
IP Logged

iatkrox

« Reply #15 on: Jul 2nd, 2012, 1:02am »

Intelligence is more then common sense !!!!!!!
IP Logged
arun gupta

hello friends :)

« Reply #16 on: Feb 11th, 2013, 4:00am »

You can fine more common sense's instead of intelligence. Because every intelligence has/have common sense but every common sense's doesn't have intelligence.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Feb 11th, 2013, 5:12am »

on Feb 3rd, 2010, 1:52am, Grimbal wrote:

There is an element e in N and an injection s:N->N (s for "successor").  For each x<>e, there is an y such that x=s(y).

I can add arbitrary numbers of cycles to N and still satisfy your definition - for example:
D=s(C)=s(B)=s(A)=s(D)

It might be worth refining your definition to the minimal set N which satisfies the requirement that there is a unique element e such that there is no x with e=s(x). Oh, and the set thus defined is only the non-negative integers - the integers are trickier to define that way because 0 is no longer special because of its place in the order - it's special because of its relation to addition.
IP Logged
peoplepower

« Reply #18 on: Feb 11th, 2013, 7:39am »

We can interpret the sets N and Z in different contexts to get shorter definitions.

N is the intersection of all inductive sets. The successor function is defined by s(n)=nU{n}.

If I remember correctly (from Abelian Categories by Freyd) the abelian group of integers, Z, can be characterized up to isomorphism by two properties:
1. If A is any nonzero abelian group, then there are at least two homomorphisms of Z into A.
2. Any idempotent homomorphism of Z into Z is either trivial or the identity.
IP Logged
BenL

« Reply #19 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 6:28pm »

Common Sense - without it you can have all the intelligence in the world and still not know what to do with it...
IP Logged

« Reply #20 on: Jun 26th, 2013, 7:04pm »

on Feb 3rd, 2010, 1:52am, Grimbal wrote:

Here, you can find some other ways to define them.
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #21 on: Jul 22nd, 2013, 6:35am »

OK then, integers can be defined as follows.
IP Logged
sanaya

« Reply #22 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 6:57am »

Can a person without common sense be intelligent?
IP Logged

Best riddles
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #23 on: Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:08am »

That depends on how you define intelligent.
IP Logged

webtasarim

http://www.yelidesign.net   http://www.yelidesign.net

« Reply #24 on: Oct 20th, 2013, 5:19pm »

Of course common sense s more important than intelligence . First of all we should be responsible and well intentioned people . Intelligence is up to you . Not important for everyone . If you are indulgent people , everybody can understand you
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »