wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Economics of dating »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:39pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   truth
(Moderators: william wu, Icarus, SMQ, Grimbal, towr, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder)
   Economics of dating
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Economics of dating  (Read 4598 times)
Benny
Uberpuzzler

Economics of dating  
« on: Dec 24th, 2009, 11:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When you're on a first date and the waiter or waitress brings the check, around 50% of women do a polite "reach" for their wallets but let the guy pay.  

What do you, guys, think of the reach?  
Do you appreciate the polite gesture? Or not so much?

Some may call it a polite gesture, but I call it the 'reach' bluff

How do you rationalize this?
IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
gotit
Uberpuzzler

Email

Re: Economics of dating  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24th, 2009, 11:52am »

To me, a bluff is something which makes you do what you had not planned to do. And I guess that on a date, a guy already has it in his mind that he has to pay the bill. So I wont call it a bluff.
IP Logged

All signatures are false.
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24th, 2009, 2:57pm »

Why is it not a bluff?

A bluff is to mislead or deceive; to pretend.

She may pretend to reach for her purse, believing the guy won't actually take her up on it. Or, her action may be a  bone fide 'reach'.

She'll be right 90 to 95% of the time.

Would you call her bluff, that is, make her do what her action says she will do?
IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 25th, 2009, 2:35am »

on Dec 24th, 2009, 2:57pm, BenVitale wrote:
Why is it not a bluff?
He said what he considered a bluff to be, and your scenario does not fit with his definition.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 3:19am »

on Dec 24th, 2009, 2:57pm, BenVitale wrote:
Would you call her bluff, that is, make her do what her action says she will do?

Sure, if I'm not planning on paying. Unless she thought me not reaching for my wallet in return is a bluff to see whether she's bluffing...
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 4:32am »

on Dec 29th, 2009, 3:19am, JiNbOtAk wrote:

Sure, if I'm not planning on paying.

Then, what happens? Game over for you. The chances you'll see her again are slim to none. She may not want to go on a second date, unless you promise to make up for it.

Quote:

Unless she thought me not reaching for my wallet in return is a bluff to see whether she's bluffing...

I see it as a signaling games

Read also: Signalling theory

... with honest signals and dishonest signals.

The problem is we, men, are expected to pay for the first date -- at least. It's part of the old-fashioned mating dance.

If you look annoyed or spend few seconds thinking about the bill.  

Then, guess what?

You'll give the impression of going thru the motions of courtesy.

Result: a strike against you.

The woman's reach may be transparent, yes, but necessary. The man will feel good about it.

In flirting, courtship there's always an element of deception at the beginning.

Let's not forget our old evolutionary urge to provide for the females.  In the animal kingdom, the female of any species gravitates toward a mate who can provide for her and any potential offspring

IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31st, 2009, 2:46am »

Again, the situation you're talking about is only relevant if it's the guy who is interested in making an impression on the girl. If, however, it's the girl who asked him out on a date, and the guy is really not that interested in the first place, it could be considered a strike against the girl if she didn't pay, eh ? (Which is what I was getting at when I said I'm not planning on paying)
IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31st, 2009, 4:24am »

on Dec 31st, 2009, 2:46am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
Again, the situation you're talking about is only relevant if it's the guy who is interested in making an impression on the girl.  

Well, I said that because since the beginning of mankind, man provided food and shelter to show a woman he was interested. We see this type of behavior with Chimps and other animals.

Quote:

If, however, it's the girl who asked him out on a date, and the guy is really not that interested in the first place, it could be considered a strike against the girl if she didn't pay, eh ?

Quote:

(Which is what I was getting at when I said I'm not planning on paying)

Yes, but just imagine her embarrassment ... she'll lose face. You won't see her again, she will trash you, she will say bad things about you behind your back... you may lose a lot more.

How about establishing jokingly the rule or a compromise, " Whoever invites pays"?

You'll see if that offer doesn't resonate well with her.
Then, provide offer #2: split the check with her.

« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2009, 4:24am by Benny » IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31st, 2009, 5:14am »

on Dec 31st, 2009, 4:24am, BenVitale wrote:
You won't see her again, she will trash you, she will say bad things about you behind your back... you may lose a lot more.

Do you always have this low opinion of women, or is there a particular one ?  Tongue
IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Dec 31st, 2009, 7:52am »

on Dec 31st, 2009, 5:14am, JiNbOtAk wrote:

Do you always have this low opinion of women, or is there a particular one ?  Tongue

Actually, I don't. I like women.

I'm responding to your statement

Quote:

(Which is what I was getting at when I said I'm not planning on paying)

It's better to pay at least 50% of the bill so that she can save face, since she's the one asking you out.

Please read again my posts at the beginning.

Nowadays, men and women are a bit confused about equal opportunity/gender equality .... and if you try to apply it to dating, then there will be an awkward moment.
IP Logged

ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31st, 2009, 12:34pm »

BenVitale, is it just me or are you asking him what he thinks and then telling him "the way it is"? Tongue  

It may or may not be a bluff depending on the woman. Me, personally, I always offer to split and if the guy decides he wants to pick up the tab I'll let him (some of you guys get mega insulted if their date pays) but I positively insist on splitting the bill if I decide I'm not into the guy or he's the type that thinks if he pays for a meal at McDonald's he gets in my pants >.<  

Anyway, the point is it can be as awkward deciding who pays as you and your date make it Tongue "Communication is key"
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31st, 2009, 12:47pm »

on Dec 31st, 2009, 12:34pm, ima1trkpny wrote:
....or he's the type that thinks if he pays for a meal at McDonald's he gets in my pants >.<  

Yeah, I've suspected all along that McDonalds are full of transvestites.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Jan 1st, 2010, 4:23pm »

BenVitale, is it just me or are you asking him what he thinks and then telling him "the way it is"? Tongue

A bit of both.  JiNbOtAk thought that I had a low opinion of women, and I had to respond and correct that view.

Quote:

It may or may not be a bluff depending on the woman. Me, personally, I always offer to split and if the guy decides he wants to pick up the tab I'll let him (some of you guys get mega insulted if their date pays) but I positively insist on splitting the bill if I decide I'm not into the guy or  

[quote]
he's the type that thinks if he pays for a meal at McDonald's he gets in my pants >.<

I wouldn't take a woman to McDo or any other fast food joint, or to some greasy spoon eating place on a First date.

I know that the key to an excellent date isn't wine, the restaurant, or even your outfit -- it's your ability to talk - and, more importantly, to listen

Quote:

Anyway, the point is it can be as awkward deciding who pays as you and your date make it Tongue "Communication is key"

I agree 100% with you.
I will add that courtesy is important ... I will offer to split the costs, but if my date insists on picking up the entire tab (which happened to me on few occasions) I wouldn't put up too much of a fight. I just made sure to thank them and promised to treat them next time (which I did).

I'm trying to apply economic theory and game theory to everyday life situations.

Let's not forget that our evolutionary biology gets in the way: man provided food and shelter to show a woman he was interested.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2010, 1:45pm by Benny » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Jan 2nd, 2010, 2:24pm »

on Jan 1st, 2010, 4:23pm, BenVitale wrote:
I'm trying to apply economic theory and game theory to everyday life situations.
Here's a tip: don't.
It'll cost you more than it's worth, so it's an irrational thing to do.  Tongue
IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Jan 2nd, 2010, 3:42pm »

Well, I figure if a model doesn't fit reality, then we adjust the model or create a new one ... Reality or the world we experience on a daily basis is our Lab.

IP Logged

ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

« Reply #15 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 5:15am »

on Jan 2nd, 2010, 3:42pm, BenVitale wrote:
Reality or the world we experience on a daily basis is our Lab.

Nice thought lol but I want to see you tell your dates that they're your lab rats
 Grin
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 6:37am »

You could probably make that work. There are worse pick-up lines than "would you like to help me with an experiment?"  
And you can dress it up in a way that even if they don't enjoy the date itself, it will still be worthwhile for them to participate and help you find other participants.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2010, 6:40am by towr » IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 10:00am »

on Jan 3rd, 2010, 5:15am, ima1trkpny wrote:

Nice thought lol but I want to see you tell your dates that they're your lab rats
 Grin

No way Jose' ... I would be shooting in my foot. It is not something you can tell about it.... I'm a big fan of game theory, but I don't say that. Since I'm a math student, I just say, I study math.

IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 10:12am »

on Jan 3rd, 2010, 6:37am, towr wrote:
You could probably make that work. There are worse pick-up lines than "would you like to help me with an experiment?"  
And you can dress it up in a way that even if they don't enjoy the date itself, it will still be worthwhile for them to participate and help you find other participants.

Come on man, I'm more subtle in the real world.  

Have you ever dated a psychologist or a psychology student? or an economics student?

Well, I have. They behave the same way....they ask probing questions, analyze this and analyze that....they want to know about your childhood.

It's very stimulating intellectually, sensually.
IP Logged

ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

« Reply #19 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 7:18pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2010, 10:00am, BenVitale wrote:
I'm a big fan of game theory, but I don't say that. Since I'm a math student, I just say, I study math.

LOL well that is totally unsexy Tongue
IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #20 on: Jan 4th, 2010, 3:14am »

on Jan 1st, 2010, 4:23pm, BenVitale wrote:
I wouldn't take a woman to McDo or any other food joint, or to some greasy spoon eating place on a First date.

Never ? Why, you have anything against the McDaddy ? Would you consider a greasy spoon eating joint on a first date if she requested it ?

on Dec 31st, 2009, 12:47pm, ThudanBlunder wrote:

Yeah, I've suspected all along that McDonalds are full of transvestites.  Roll Eyes

Must be all that sesame seed they have on the buns.  Grin

Me, personally, I always offer to split ...

Why split ? Why not offer to pay for the whole date ?  

On that note, did anyone here ever had any experience of the girl paying for all expenses during a first date ?
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2010, 3:15am by JiNbOtAk » IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #21 on: Jan 4th, 2010, 8:56am »

on Jan 4th, 2010, 3:14am, JiNbOtAk wrote:

Never ? Why, you have anything against the McDaddy ?

I prefer real food .... healthy food

Quote:

Would you consider a greasy spoon eating joint on a first date if she requested it ?

If she is the one who requests it , that's different .... I'll accept it. I don't want to come across as a difficult person.

Quote:

did anyone here ever had any experience of the girl paying for all expenses during a first date ?  

Yes, it happened.
IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Jan 4th, 2010, 9:02am »

on Jan 3rd, 2010, 7:18pm, ima1trkpny wrote:

LOL well that is totally unsexy Tongue

I get that sometimes.

Actually, one of my dates said: "OMG, I hated math in high school!"

So, I shot back with the following riddle:

Love is about Chemistry.
Sex is about Physics.
What about Mathematics? Could you guess what Mathematics could do?

She said no. So, I whispered in her ear the answer to the riddle, and she laughed. The date went well.

IP Logged

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #23 on: Jan 4th, 2010, 12:52pm »

on Jan 4th, 2010, 9:02am, BenVitale wrote:
What about Mathematics? Could you guess what Mathematics could do?

Knot theory?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #24 on: Jan 4th, 2010, 1:35pm »

on Jan 4th, 2010, 12:52pm, Grimbal wrote:

Knot theory?  Roll Eyes

Yes, you're good! You can use this theory and jazz it up a bit, to make it very sexy and full of promises.

I also told her that Chemists and Physicists are very mechanical in their ways of thinking ... Mathematicians are very creative and imaginative .... that we are the bad boys in science.

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2010, 1:44pm by Benny » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »