wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - URL »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:33am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   chinese
(Moderators: Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, towr, william wu, Grimbal, Icarus, SMQ)
   URL
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: URL  (Read 12420 times)
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

URL  
« on: Jul 31st, 2002, 11:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In case you're wondering what this forum is about, it's inspired by my [ wu :: chinese ] website

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/chinese/intro.shtml
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2002, 12:14am by william wu » IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Stephen Halvorson

Email

Re: URL  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22nd, 2002, 9:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello Wu
I am really enjoying your puzzles. Everyone at the local pub wants to wring my neck. I love it. However, there ability to answer is, I think, above average. This probably is skewed because most of us are foreigners living in Tokyo. So rather than have an average selection of patrons, the bar is frequented by professionals, who have been selected to work over here. One of them belongs to Mensa, but hasn't answered any riddles yet.  

Anyway, I have been surfing your site and found this forum about Chinese. Well, I do not speak Chinese, but I am literate in Japanese. As you know, Japanese was created based on the Chinese written language. So I thougt it might be interesting to discuss characters, which is the term I use for ideograms.  

Do you know the character for dog. Œ¢@It is pronounced "KEN" in Japanese. Strangely this is the same as the latin root for dog. KEN, as in kennel, or canine.  

How do you say it en Chinoise?

IP Logged
william wu

Dogs  
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24th, 2002, 8:11am »

That's great! Yes torturing your friends can be fun. I'm glad you've been enjoying the puzzles so much, and that you checked out other parts of the site.

I actually don't know much about Japanese, so I did some online research and found an interesting site on the history of Japanese:

http://humanities.byu.edu/classes/ling450ch/reports/japanese.htm

I was surprised to discover that linguists are still uncertain about which family of languages Japanese belongs to. Korean is also an uncertainty -- and here's something interesting about Korean -- did you know that some of the characters are pictograms of the mouth? So supposedly, the mouth configuration illustrated by the character is the same configuration you would use to pronunciate the character! Anyways, I couldn't find much on a link between Japanese and the Latin-based Indo-European languages, so I'm guessing your shrewd observation about "ken" may just be a coincidence. Unless these kinds of relationships are actually common?

Here are two ways of saying the word "Dog" in Chinese; the number appended to the pronunciation tells you what tone to use.

1) quan3

Explanation: A pictogram of a dog. I guess I could see how it was once a dog. At least the legs.

2) gou3

Explanation: Composed of two parts:

This is actually the same character as quan3. When quan3 is placed to one side of a character to serve as a radical, it looks like this.

This character can mean "sentence" or "law", and is pronunciated "gou1" (derivation: mouth entangled . entangled is a pictograph of entangled vines, and is written here as .). I can't think of a good metaphoric reason for why gou1 is here, so I believe it was added as a phonetic. 90% of Chinese characters are meaning-sound compounds, which means that one part of the character conveys the meaning (quan3), whereas the other conveys the sound (dropping the tones, gou1 and gou3 are identical).
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2002, 12:13am by william wu » IP Logged

stephen halvorson

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29th, 2002, 9:14pm »

Hello Wu
I am betting the dog thing is a coincident. But what about noodles. Did Marco Polo bring them east or west? Is the transition from pasta to  –Ė@or –Ė to pasta?

Anyway.
I did know about the way that characters in the Korean language indicate their own pronunciation. I thought is was great for two reasons. First, what a great form of multi-tasking. Second, somebody was really thinking when they developed this language.  

I think it is incredible that ancient scholors were able to guide the creation of the language. I compare it to English, which seems to be a random combination of the latin and germanic languages. People have recorded and described and analyzed the English language, but did any one plan it?  

In the game Civilization, you gain some advantage by attaining the use of language, and the alphabet. Imagine the scholors in the royal court of ancient Korea, recognizing the value of language, and, and then doing something about it.  

They probably were just opening trade with China and were introduced to the concept. Maybe.  

I have also heard that one of the Japanese alphabets, katakana, was developed by aristocratic ladies in ancient Japan to get around customs against the education of women.  

Creating a language is really cool.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 9:57pm »

Sure creating a language is cool, but the simultaneous manipulataion of a language through a quasi-language like pig-latin is a skill to be admired.  Wink
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25th, 2002, 8:32am »

That scolars have thought about the written language doesn't mean they had much influence on the spoken language.. (As long as written language is elitist it hardly influences the spoken language).

As for 'ken' It might be because latin is in a related to the much older sanskrit, which was used far more to the east, and thus closer to Japan. There are probably more words like that..
Also, recent research has shown dogs were domesticated in the east, so it only makes sense that their oldest name would have its origin there as well. And I'm guessing that it's probably something like 'ken'.

here's something from google (hope it works.. it's from the cache, since the original seems to be gone)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Alice Wong

Email

Chinese section  
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 11:39pm »

Hi William again,

I can't get myself off of your website!! And it's finals time, geeeeez... Tongue Yea, it's a really tight site and I've found a lot of things of interest to me.
I really like your Chinese section in particular...  
Under Idioms, the literal translation for bie2you3 in bie2you3tian1di4  and bie2you3yong4xin1, i think is more like "there is surely..."  so "there is surely sky and earth", "there is surely the use of the heart". This is from what i know from Cantonese..=P

See ya
Alice
IP Logged
william wu

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 12:12am »

Research on dog origins and dog psychology; actually ties in well with the psychology forum:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2498669.stm

and the relevant content from towr's link:

9. *KUAN—'dog' —— canine; cynic; hound; !Kung /gwi 'hyena'; Proto-Afro-Asiatic *k(y)n 'dog, wolf'; Proto-Indo-European *kwon- 'dog' > Sanskrit s'van, Phrygian kan, Latin canis, Greek kuon, Germanic hund; Proto-Uralic *küinä 'wolf'; Old Turkish qanchiq 'bitch'; Monglian qani 'wild dog'; Proto-Tungus-Manchu *khina 'dog'; Korean ka 'dog' (< kani); Gilyak kan 'dog'; Chinese kou 'dog' (<Archaic Chinese khjwen); Tibetan khyi 'dog'; Proto-Oceanic *nkaun 'dog'; Taos kwiane-, Tewa tukhwana 'fox, coyote'  

Alice: Thanks for the flattering comments! I'm glad you find the site interesting. I will apply your helpful corrections after finals are over for me. I'm sure I messed up a lot in those idiom translations ... my knowledge of Chinese is actually pretty weak, so I often resorted to guessing. Let me know if you have other corrections or cool idioms/ideographs/pictographs/whatever to share.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2002, 12:13am by william wu » IP Logged

jabhiji

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31st, 2003, 1:32pm »

Now I know why J.R.R. Tolkien chose the name "Huan" for one of the hounds in his book "The Silmarillion". It's rather a shame that I don't know any sanskrit at all inspite of coming from India.
IP Logged
yanwei1020

are you studing chinese?  
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12th, 2003, 7:27pm »

Roll Eyes I think this section of forum is very excellent! In fact, I 'm not catch on you very well ,for my poor english. But ,I know english is as interesting as chinese, so I 'm studing english very hard! Maybe ,I can help you on the study of chinese ,and communication between orient and west can let us know each other better!
IP Logged
mistysakura

Re: are you studing chinese?  
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11th, 2003, 10:40pm »

on Jun 12th, 2003, 7:27pm, yanwei1020 wrote:
Roll Eyes I think this section of forum is very excellent!

It would be better if there were any other topics on it.    Grin  I can't think of anything to start a new topic for, though.  And by the way, I'm Chinese, and the language is interesting.  The extra lessons are very annoying, though (I have to take Chinese classes outside school, as the syllabus in Australia is too easy for my standard)  Undecided
IP Logged
yanwei1020

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19th, 2003, 6:27am »

I think so!
No one come here
IP Logged
wtiow

Fight Till The Last Battle

2757342 2757342    

« Reply #12 on: Feb 5th, 2004, 11:14pm »

Hi I did [color=Pink][/color] chinese in school and I bumped across this forum, and i think it is really nice to discuss about things like that. The gyst of a language lies in its roots. and knowing the roots is kinda interesting..
IP Logged
fizyka

Physics&Informa tics <3

« Reply #13 on: Dec 30th, 2011, 3:41pm »

I heard about chinessse that You can't learn this if You are not from asia, it's just to hard to people from europe and america is it true?
IP Logged

fizyka , karta wzorów fizyka , książki z fizyki
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:59am »

Wrong.  It is just that it is a difficult language that you better learn young because:
- The writing system is complex with thousands of characters.  Not only the meaning, but the shape and the pronounciation needs to be memorized.  It requires years to learn.
- The spoken language uses tones to discriminate words.  If you haven't learned to integrate the tones in the recognition of words as a child while your brain is still flexible, then you'll have trouble learning it later.
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #15 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 9:19pm »

Though I'm an asian, and had been living with Chinese for nearly my whole life, and I only understand a handful of Chinese (either Hokkien or Cantonese) phrases.  

Compare that to T&B, who somehow managed to speak the language, with no (noticeable) trace of his English accent.  

Hmm..does that mean the English only have their English accent when speaking English ?  Tongue
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
wbayderda

[url=http://www .m2kinq.com]fil m izle[/url]  [url=

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 1:17pm »

Now I know why J.R.R. Tolkien chose the name "Huan" for one of the hounds in his book "The Silmarillion". It's rather a shame that I don't know any sanskrit at all inspite of coming from India.
IP Logged
jorge

« Reply #17 on: Mar 13th, 2012, 8:29am »

Not only do I like Chinese food  Tongue, I also like many many traditional Chinese stuff like feng shui, Chinese painting and herbal medicine. I actually created a website for gender prediction by using the Chinese pregnancy calendar @
(Link removed -- Grimbal)
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2012, 1:51am by Grimbal » IP Logged
aghy

« Reply #18 on: Jun 17th, 2012, 5:36pm »

i'm fine thanks you  
IP Logged
karann

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 6th, 2012, 9:26am »

Cinese script is very difficult
IP Logged
karann

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 6th, 2012, 9:27am »

I want to learn chinese.  will you recommend a site?
IP Logged
flashlearner

« Reply #21 on: Mar 19th, 2013, 6:15am »

Hello,

Actually Chinese is rather easy to learn, much much easier than English. The grammar is very very very simple.  

The following is good website to learn Chinese online:

http://www.hkmz.com

Best regards

Alex
IP Logged
Mariko79

Better than Van Damme

« Reply #22 on: Mar 30th, 2013, 2:49pm »

on Jul 6th, 2012, 9:27am, karann wrote:
I want to learn chinese.  will you recommend a site?

I don't think that learning chinese from a website is the best solution...
IP Logged
mwan7717

« Reply #23 on: May 3rd, 2013, 7:26pm »

I am Chinese, I really like this forum, on the cultural and political life for many years in China represents an ordinary person's feelings.
My English is not very good! !
If you need any help in China, please email to 872431405@qq.com. Or liyanglong88@gmail.com
If you come to China you know sometimes cheated ~ ~ because there is a "magic" place!
IP Logged
mikeyrc3

« Reply #24 on: May 11th, 2014, 6:56pm »

once i tried to learn chinese it's difficult
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »