wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Chinese/Japanese characters »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 1:33am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   chinese
(Moderators: towr, Icarus, Eigenray, william wu, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Grimbal)
   Chinese/Japanese characters
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chinese/Japanese characters  (Read 28560 times)
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters   black_gold.gif
« Reply #50 on: May 26th, 2004, 2:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Say, maybe I just had my post disappear. I am sure that I put this one up about 4 hours ago.  

Any way. The kanji on the left means stone or rock, and is pronounced SEKI or ISHI. The one on the right is either YU as above or ABURA. Together in this pair they are SEKIYU.  

Not used in English, but it has the YU from SHOYU.  
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2005, 5:50pm by Speaker » IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters  
« Reply #51 on: May 26th, 2004, 7:43pm »

"Texas Tea"
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters   Auto_maker_T.gif
« Reply #52 on: May 26th, 2004, 8:06pm »

Yes.  
Now, what might you put these dead dinosaurs into.  

The founder of this company was born in 1894, and started his company in the 1930s.  
The kanji pair on the right are his name. The left side of the pair means abundent, or plentiful. The one on the right means field (like a rice paddy) with four sections of the field.  

The three characters on the left are the name of the company in katakana. This is the way the company spells it. The two terms are pronounced almost the same.
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Chinaman

Email

« Reply #53 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 8:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

toyota
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #54 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 5:49pm »

Yes. Sorry for the delay. I did not get the reply mail.  But, I will fix that.  

Grin
IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters   AutoN.gif
« Reply #55 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 6:05pm »

Okay, here is another kanji. Although I have been away for more than a year, I will continue in the same vein as before.  

The left side kanji is the first part of Nippon (NI). The second half means to produce or give birth.
IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters   AutoH.gif
« Reply #56 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 6:47pm »

Here is another in the Industiral Series.  
The first kanji (on the left) is the second part of Nippon (PON, HON).  

IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters   Ori.gif
« Reply #57 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 6:54pm »

Okay, time for a new series. This will be the Home Series, or things you might find around the house.  

Also, I am going to split the Kanji into radicals (where possible). This first one have split into two radicals.  

The first is hand, we say it before in Karate. Now, as a radical, it is squished and its top falls off.  

The second (right side) means Axe or Catty. A catty is a unit of weight used in China, it is about 500 g. Does it look like an axe?  

If you put them together, what do you get?
IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters   Kami.gif
« Reply #58 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 6:59pm »

This one when combined, is then paired with the kanji above to give us an activity that children enjoy in Japan, and arouond the world.  

The first part means thread, does it look thread like? It also means "one ten-thousandth of a hair", so getting into the nano range.  
The second part means clan or family. It can also mean "Mister" if placed after a name.  

So, put them together for a family of threads....
IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters   &25240;&32025;.gif
« Reply #59 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 7:03pm »

Okay, the final in a set of three posts. This is the two kanji (each made of two radicals) from above. When paired, they create a word, that is well-known in English.  

People might do it in the hope of spreading peace. But, it has also been used in outer space.  

IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters   Easy_as.gif
« Reply #60 on: Jun 5th, 2005, 7:19pm »

This one is back to basics. The first three kanji should be pretty easy to figure out. The next three are a bit tougher... Except they mean the same thing. ichi, ni, san...

The difficult kanji for 1 (ichi) can be found on the 10,000 yen bill (ichiman en satsu). That is about 100 dollars or 50 pounds.  

IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters   Gimme5_Twice.gif
« Reply #61 on: Jun 5th, 2005, 7:23pm »

Here is the whole sequence. Starting, of course, at one.  

ichi
ni
san
shi (this is also sometimes yon)
go
roku
shichi
hachi
kyu
ju
IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

Re: Chinese/Japanese characters   BigNumbers.gif
« Reply #62 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 7:47pm »

Now we move onto the higher numbers.  
From the left, we have 100, next is 1000, and then 10,000. What are the next two?  

IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #63 on: Jun 10th, 2005, 11:08pm »

105 and 1012
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #64 on: Jun 10th, 2005, 11:12pm »

You have one right, but the other seems incorrect. But, it makes me wonder why you know the larger one, but not the smaller. A typo?  

IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #65 on: Jun 11th, 2005, 5:36am »

on Jun 10th, 2005, 11:12pm, Speaker wrote:
A typo?  

Yeah sorry, I was in a rush.

Bai = 102
Qian = 103
Wan = 104
Yi = 108
Zhao = 1012
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #66 on: Jun 12th, 2005, 5:26pm »

hyaku = 100
sen = 1,000
man = 10,000
oku = 100,000,000
cho = 1,000,000,000,000  

IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #67 on: Jun 13th, 2005, 12:21am »

Yeah, I forgot you were talking about Kanji, not Putonghua.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2005, 1:02am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #68 on: Jun 13th, 2005, 1:10am »

Yeah, I just figured I would put them up for comparison.  

Are the stroke counts the same? I have recently been working next to a person who is working in Chinese, simplified and traditional. It is fun to find the variations in the strokes. (well, fun as in "hey that's interesting." Not fun as in "if you stop really fast in front of your friends, you can cover them with the snow that is thrown up from your skis." But, fun none the less.
IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #69 on: Jun 13th, 2005, 11:04am »

Quote:
Are the stroke counts the same?

The symbols of Kanji are borrowed from Traditional Chinese, aren't they?
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2005, 11:56am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #70 on: Jun 13th, 2005, 5:17pm »

Yes, I think they are borrowed from traditional. But, they have been changed over the years in some cases. And, they are of course different from the simplified.  I will try to find some examples.
IP Logged

Leo Broukhis
Senior Riddler

« Reply #71 on: Jul 5th, 2005, 7:23pm »

Please help me if you can!

In 2 weeks I will have to conduct a puzzle game for which I've decided to prepare a linguistic puzzle dealing with etymology of Chinese characters for chemical elements, but as I went to http://zhongwen.com/ (the only Chinese etymology site I know of) it turned out that it only has the explanations for just a few elements - those for which the characters are ancient: gold is obvious (silver, on the other hand, not so); iron, tin, and copper are very logical, as well as carbon, sulfur, and phosphorus.  The site does not explain mercury; is it literally "craftsman's water"? If yes, makes perfect sense.

Although I know that some elements have their characters chosen for purely phonetic reasons (e.g. oxygen is literally "sheep gas", and fluorine is "Buddha gas"), I hope that quite a few have been chosen to hint at the properties or the meaning of their Latin names as well as phonetics.  I need about two dozen total.  Thanks in advance!
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #72 on: Jul 6th, 2005, 11:37am »

on Jul 5th, 2005, 7:23pm, Leonid Broukhis wrote:
 The site does not explain mercury; is it literally "craftsman's water"?

Mercury is literally 'silver water'.
IP Logged

Leo Broukhis
Senior Riddler

« Reply #73 on: Jul 6th, 2005, 12:10pm »

on Jul 6th, 2005, 11:37am, THUDandBLUNDER wrote:

Mercury is literally 'silver water'.

Yes, if you go to http://world.altavista.com/ you'll get exactly that, but in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table_(Chinese)
a more formal single character symbol is used. Cf. English "quicksilver" and "mercury". Both mean the same, but the official element name is mercury.
IP Logged
Leo Broukhis
Senior Riddler

« Reply #74 on: Jul 6th, 2005, 12:19pm »

Oh, and bromine must be very funny. Something about a dog there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »