wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - composition »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:23am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   complex analysis
(Moderators: towr, william wu, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, Icarus, SMQ, Grimbal)
   composition
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: composition  (Read 3772 times)
Moon

Email

composition  
« on: Apr 20th, 2004, 1:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Please help me to solve this problem.

Let f : D(P,r)\{P}->C be holomorphic. Let U=f(D(P,r)\{P}). Assume that U is open. Let g:U->C be holomorphic. If f has a removable singularity at P, does g(f(z)) have one also? What about the case of poles and essential singularities?

I'm trying to figure out what kind of singularity function exp(sinx/x) has at 0. If it's expanded as a Laurent expansion than it's so mess. So I don't know.

Thank you.
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Re: composition  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20th, 2004, 5:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let Q = limz[to]P f(z). The behavior of gof at P will be the same as the behavior of g at Q. The conditions you give are enough to know that Q is a limit point of U, but not necessarily inside U. So g could have a pole or essential singularity at Q. If g has a pole, then gof has one as well, though the order of the pole may be different. If g has an essential singularity, then so does gof. If g is holomorphic (or has a removable singularity) at Q, then gof has a removable singularity.

A removable singularity is not a true singularity. It is just a point where the "normal" definition of the function breaks down. When you see a function with a removable singularity, you should think of the singularity as having already been removed. The function is really holomorphic there. Therefore any theorem that applies to holomorphic functions also applies to those with removable singularities. Including that the composition of two holomorphic functions is also holomorphic.

If f has a pole at P, then the same thing applies, except now Q = [infty]. The behavior of g at [infty] is the behavior of gof at P.

If f has an essential singularity at P, then unless g is constant, gof has an essential singularity at P.  

Concerning e(sin x)/x, perhaps it would help if you recalled that (sin x)/x = 1 - x2/3! + x4/5! - ... . All the derivatives of (sin x)/x at 0 are there for the reading.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »