wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Sequence of entire functions »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 1:10am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   complex analysis
(Moderators: Grimbal, Eigenray, william wu, towr, Icarus, SMQ, ThudnBlunder)
   Sequence of entire functions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sequence of entire functions  (Read 4100 times)
Maria

Sequence of entire functions  
« on: May 15th, 2006, 5:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,  

I need to construct a sequence (h_j) of entire functions with the property that h_j -> 1 uniformally on compact subsets of the right half plane, but h_j doesn't converge at any point of the open left half plane.  

By Runge's theorem I know that such sequence  exists, but how do I construct the sequence?  I have never constructed sequences of any kind before so I don't know how  to approach this problem. Any ideas?
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Re: Sequence of entire functions  
« Reply #1 on: May 15th, 2006, 3:10pm »

I have not been familiar with this particular theorem, but the versions I find referenced on the web do not guarantee that the sequence will not converge anywhere on the left half-plane, merely that the rational functions within the sequence will have all their poles there, contained within any set you like.

However, Runge's theorem is not really necessary here, and I would have almost guaranteed the existance of such sequences even without it.

I suggest you consider the behavior of eaz for various real values of a. It's all you need.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Michael Dagg
Senior Riddler

Re: Sequence of entire functions  
« Reply #2 on: May 17th, 2006, 5:33pm »

In addition to Icarus' remarks, notice that the graph of the modulus of the exponential function  

z --> |e^(x+iy)|  \equiv  e^x  

is like a skateboard ramp, of a sort.

Let  h_j(z)  =  1 + e^(-j z).

If in your question you meant that you want  h_j --> 1  uniformly on compact subsets of  
the OPEN right-half plane, then that should do it. If you like, each h_j can be replaced  
by a polynomial coming from a Taylor polynomial of the exponential function.

If you meant CLOSED right-half plane, then solutions can be devised from the exponential
function or Taylor polynomials which I'll leave to you (using Icarus' remarks and you have it).
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2006, 5:34pm by Michael Dagg » IP Logged

Regards,
Michael Dagg
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »