wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Sleep »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 10:36pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   guestbook
(Moderators: SMQ, william wu, towr, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, Eigenray)
   Sleep
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sleep  (Read 11144 times)
UT-Austin

Email

Sleep  
« on: Jun 5th, 2005, 9:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Do any of you guys here ever sleep?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Sleep  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 1:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No, why? Should we Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 10:27am »

on Jun 5th, 2005, 9:24pm, UT-Austin wrote:

Some of us have mastered the art of sleep-posting - or borrowed a trick from whichever it is of dolphins and sharks, and only sleep with half our brain at a time...

More seriously, there are regular posters here covering a wide range of time zones, so there'll probably be an uberpuzzler awake at any given moment (not necessarily logged in though) and it's an accepted fact that some people just plain require less sleep than others (or at least get by with less)
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2009, 11:46am by rmsgrey » IP Logged
Deedlit
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 9:40pm »

on Jun 5th, 2005, 9:24pm, UT-Austin wrote:

What is this "sleep" you speak of? @>@
IP Logged
Roy42
Senior Riddler

ddhilltop2

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 2:20pm »

yeah, what new thing do you introduce to us? wait, there's the dictionary. i see. Yup, i get buy with 10 hours of sleep/month. But i think it's only because my inhumanness disables my need want sleep function untill i have absolutely nothing left to do, for until i have nothing left to do, i feel like i've had a bucket full of sugar and, although i visit this site regularly, i still get the absolute most out of life possible before sleeping, so it isn't really one of my hobbies
IP Logged

Regards,

≈Roy42
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 3:09pm »

Maybe "sleeping pattern" problems will be the only kind of problems that will stump the uberpuzzlers here!!  Wink Grin
IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
DeMark

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 1:16pm »

Sleep? What is sleep?  Grin

Mind you, I've just come back after a long period of absence and am already hooked  Smiley
IP Logged
keithm

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 7:54pm »

Haha, "what sleep" - it sounds like a common phrase heard from people who are frequent forum junkies..! ..Gulp! Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16th, 2009, 5:07pm »

When the pop stops flowing.
IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17th, 2009, 4:44am »

You don't have an IV drip yet?! Grin

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17th, 2009, 11:42am »

on Jul 17th, 2009, 4:44am, SMQ wrote:
You don't have an IV drip yet?! Grin

--SMQ

You still have to supply the IV somehow...
IP Logged
jakelittle

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17th, 2010, 5:45pm »

Just a nap will do for me!
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #12 on: May 17th, 2010, 6:46am »

on Sep 11th, 2006, 1:16pm, DeMark wrote:
Sleep? What is sleep?  Grin

Deep bonus question: why do we sleep?
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: May 17th, 2010, 7:00am »

One theory is that sleep evolved in order to reduce wear and tear on our bodies - if you don't need to be active at that moment in order to improve your survival chances, then being active is all downside - you burn through more food, you have an increased risk of injury, you stretch or stress various body parts...

Of course, nature being what it is, once you are sleeping regularly, it gets adapted for other purposes - a lot of mental filing and organisation appears to happen during the periodic downtime...
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: May 17th, 2010, 1:50pm »

on May 17th, 2010, 7:00am, rmsgrey wrote:
One theory is that sleep evolved in order to reduce wear and tear on our bodies - if you don't need to be active at that moment in order to improve your survival chances, then being active is all downside - you burn through more food, you have an increased risk of injury, you stretch or stress various body parts...

Of course, nature being what it is, once you are sleeping regularly, it gets adapted for other purposes - a lot of mental filing and organisation appears to happen during the periodic downtime...

Did it evolve? Do amoebae think that sleep is for wimps?  

I read somewhere that our physical bodies can get by without (very much) sleep. Along with REM, 'mental filing and organisation' happens during dreams. But I seem to rememeber that dreams comprise only a small percentage of the time spent asleep. During dreams we still seem to retain our sense of self. How about during deep sleep? What's going on during deep sleep? The alpha waves of deep sleep are similar to those during meditation. Of course, we are fully aware during meditation.

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2010, 2:13pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: May 17th, 2010, 2:52pm »

on May 17th, 2010, 1:50pm, ThudanBlunder wrote:
Did it evolve? Do amoebae think that sleep is for wimps?
I don't think amoebae think Tongue (But then, if that's true, they don't think I think either, so that's fair enough.)
I think it sounds plausible that it is adaptive in the way rmsgrey says, and that that has contributed to its evolution. I don't know if there's much research about how sleep evolved though. And dolphins seem to sleep one brain hemisphere at a time, which is peculiar (but understandable, since drowning is not very good for one's survival).

Quote:
I read somewhere that our physical bodies can get by without (very much) sleep.
Going without any sleep is lethal, according to this article. Or at least it is to rats, if they're kept up for two weeks. And there are occasionally news stories about gamers staying up for two weeks and dying.
Not sure about how far you can reduce the need for sleep. But I think there are drugs you can take to extend the amount of time you can stay awake without suffering adverse consequences (and I don't mean coffee).

Quote:
During dreams we still seem to retain our sense of self.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by a sense of self here. I dream about being others often enough, even switching characters randomly without noticing it till I wake up. It's not typically like a lucid dream, where I'd actually have any control about my actions or perspective. I'd say my sense of self is rather impaired during most dreams.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2010, 2:56pm by towr » IP Logged

ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: May 17th, 2010, 3:31pm »

on May 17th, 2010, 2:52pm, towr wrote:

I don't think amoebae think Tongue (But then, if that's true, they don't think I think either, so that's fair enough.)

Grin

But I think there are drugs you can take to extend the amount of time you can stay awake without suffering adverse consequences (and I don't mean coffee).

Right, you start getting psychotic on about the 3rd or 4th day. (Yes, I'll try anything twice.)  

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a sense of self here. I dream about being others often enough, even switching characters randomly without noticing it till I wake up. It's not typically like a lucid dream, where I'd actually have any control about my actions or perspective. I'd say my sense of self is rather impaired during most dreams.

While one's sense of self is severely impaired during dreams, I think it nevertheless remains to some extent.  
In contrast, our egos do not exist during deep sleep.  

I never dream about being others. I guess that's just me.  

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2010, 3:36pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #17 on: May 17th, 2010, 11:15pm »

So what's the longest that you guys have been without sleep ? The longest I had was 56 hrs. The most mind numbing experience of my life..added to the fact I spent a huge portion of that time in the jungle with the barest necessities to survive. And the instructor somehow see fit to give us loaded with live rounds M16 after 36 hours of no sleep for target practice. Hmm..
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: May 18th, 2010, 1:23am »

I don't think I've ever went without sleep for longer than a day. Which hasn't, however, stopped me from the occasional being sleep deprived; I don't do well without a full nights sleep.
IP Logged

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #19 on: May 18th, 2010, 2:12am »

I skipped a night a few times when I was young but I went to bed early afterward.  So maybe 36 h max.
Now, even missing half a night gives me a headache the next day.  So I don't think I will ever try to improve my record.
IP Logged
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: May 18th, 2010, 4:09am »

Back in college I pulled back-to-back all-nighters one semester studying for finals, so that's something like 60 hours, and I was still lucid enough to do well on the tests.  The worst, though, was, a few years later, trying to finish a project on-deadline for a commercial launch, I spent a week sleeping only every-other night: that's four straight 40-hour days.  That was brutal, and I was pretty loopy by the end.

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #21 on: May 18th, 2010, 7:00am »

In my student days, I did 40-hour stretches on occasion.

I've also been known to sleep (more or less) for up to 16 hours.

As for whether sleep has evolved, the alternative would be that sleep has been static and unchanging ever since it first appeared - it seems much more likely that sleep has been, and is still, evolving slowly, like most things about living creatures...
IP Logged
khuram4u

« Reply #22 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 10:09am »

hello my friends to you Smiley i am computer science research, working in the area of ubiquitous computing. Share your thoughts if you are familiar with this field.

well , for best and fresh mind i suggest 6-8 hours sound sleep. This helps over come on the pressure we face during the routine life.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2011, 10:11am by khuram4u » IP Logged
cartoonle

« Reply #23 on: Dec 1st, 2012, 11:46am »

No, i'm on coffe
IP Logged

friv - something i've built
pandani

« Reply #24 on: Oct 27th, 2013, 4:05pm »

I still do not get it. What is actually sleep do you mean?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »