wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Privacy Issue »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 3:56am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   guestbook
(Moderators: Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, towr, Icarus)
   Privacy Issue
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Privacy Issue  (Read 1375 times)
Steve_Ryan

Privacy Issue  
« on: Dec 31st, 2005, 12:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I made a quick comment as a guest, and filled out the form, not expecting that my email address would be posted publically.

Seeing that it was shown, I immediately registered with the same name and email address I used as a guest, hoping to be able to modify or delete the post, but I can't.

Is there any way to hide or remove that address?
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Re: Privacy Issue  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 1:10pm »

I am not able to edit that portion of a post, so I just deleted the entire post. If you want to repost it, go ahead (I've heard the same story myself).

You were not able to modify it yourself because the bulletin board has no way of being sure that you are the guest Steve_Ryan. After all, you could has simply registered using the same name that someone else used as a guest. (Only registered names are protected - otherwise guests could never post twice under the same name.)

Guest posts are not modifiable by anyone other than moderators. As a member, though, you are able to modify/delete any post you made while logged in.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Steve_Ryan

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 2:26pm »

Thanks very much for taking care of that promptly.

Perhaps a default of not displaying the address would be better - I don't mind if the forum software stores a copy internally, but having it right there for spam harvesters to grab seems wrong.
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 7:58pm »

Unfortunately, changing that is beyond moderator powers, and it has been months since the last time William Wu stopped in (at least to post), so I have no idea when he will even see the suggestion. (You'll not find my e-mail address anywhere, either, for the same reason. Though it is rather pointless now, since that address is now collecting tons of spam. Angry)
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2005, 8:03pm by Icarus » IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »