wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - English speaking? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 6:17am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   guestbook
(Moderators: Grimbal, william wu, Eigenray, towr, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, SMQ)
   English speaking?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: English speaking?  (Read 13652 times)
malchar

malchar2
Email

Re: English speaking?  
« Reply #25 on: Apr 9th, 2010, 7:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

towr, what's your native language if you don't mind my asking? Anyway, I've always spoken English, so technically I shouldn't even be posting in this thread. However, I have found that Chinese is surprisingly easy to learn. Without knowing too much about Japanese, I would say that Chinese is probably the easier of the two, especially for mathematically-oriented people. Also, after you learn a second language, the third seems to come a lot more easily.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #26 on: Apr 10th, 2010, 4:13am »

My native languages as Frisian and Dutch; and English comes pretty close since I started learning it (from cartoons) when I was five or six.

I think the biggest problem for speaking Chinese is the importance of differences in tones for the meaning of a word. Just noticing those distinctions is very difficult if you haven't grown up in that kind of language.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #27 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 12:10pm »

It seems to me that when you are young, you are hard-wiring your brain to recognize the important features of your language and ignore irrelevant variations.  You learn to classify spoken sounds into a limited set of sounds, a "sound" alphabet.  From there you build the words.

This hard-wiring takes place when you are young, when your brain is still malleable.

The trouble is, different languages use different sound systems.  Sound features that are important in one language are irrelevant in another.

So, if you learn a language late, you will not be able to rewire your brain to the new sound system, so you end up speaking one language with the sounds of another.  That is why it is so difficult to get rid of the accent of one's mother tongue.

In Chinese, the tone is an important feature that changes completely the meaning of the words, so the Chinese are hardwired to route tones early in the early stages of understanding speech, where the words are recognized.  For western languages, the tone changes the meaning of a phrase only in a general way, like making it a question, or expressing uncertainty or mood.

So I think that if you haven't experienced Chinese as a child, or another language that uses tones to distinguish words, you will always have trouble telling some words apart, and always need to guess, or use context to get the meaning of a phrase.

But that is true also for other languages.  For example, french has subtle distinctions in vowels that other languages don't have.
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #28 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 2:04pm »

on Apr 16th, 2010, 12:10pm, Grimbal wrote:
 For western languages, the tone changes the meaning of a phrase only in a general way, like making it a question, or expressing uncertainty or mood.

Yeah, I think English uses only two tones, the 1st tone (flat tone) for normal speech and the 2nd tone (rising tone) for questions. And Australians manage to get by using only this 2nd tone! LOL

IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

« Reply #29 on: Apr 20th, 2010, 11:37pm »

on Apr 16th, 2010, 2:04pm, ThudanBlunder wrote:

Yeah, I think English uses only two tones, the 1st tone (flat tone) for normal speech and the 2nd tone (rising tone) for questions. And Australians manage to get by using only this 2nd tone! LOL

I'm not sure I agree with that...
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
LukeSchool

« Reply #30 on: Jun 17th, 2010, 10:10am »

English speaking and currently learning asian languages such as japanese.  kinda hard but trying to learn all those syllabic phrases.   Cool
IP Logged
Quasar

cristi.apatean  

« Reply #31 on: Aug 9th, 2011, 2:00pm »

I start learning english in school and I improve it alot since using the internet.
IP Logged
khuram4u

« Reply #32 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 3:47pm »

Here are some suggestions and are very effective since i use them to improve english, as i am not a native english speak but now i am good at English.

Here are some goals you could set yourself:-

Join an English course - a virtual one or a real one (and attend regularly).
    Do your homework.
    Read a book or a comic every month.
    Learn a new word every day.
    Visit an English speaking forum every day.
    Read a news article on the net every day.
    Do 10 minutes listening practice every day.
    Watch an English film at least once a month.
    Follow a soap, comedy or radio or TV drama.

A good way to meet your goals is to establish a system of rewards and punishments.

Decide on a reward you will give yourself for fulfilling your goals for a month.

A bottle of your favourite drink
    A meal out / or a nice meal at home
    A new outfit
    A manicure or massage
IP Logged
beingblogger

« Reply #33 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 4:06am »

I am from India and only few get to learn English starting from kindergarten.  There are less number of English Medium schools in India.  The situation has improved a lot today compared to when I was a child and there are lot of options available.  Even government schools in some states are coming up with compulsary English programs which is a welcome step.
IP Logged
kalispero

« Reply #34 on: Jan 7th, 2012, 10:34am »

it seems natural in these days, 21st century to speak some other languages than domestic
IP Logged
martincroe

« Reply #35 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 2:34am »

we have to learn English through daily read English news paper and read articles....
IP Logged
frankrizal

Email

« Reply #36 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 6:56pm »

English is the universal language.. So it's important that we learn how to speak with it..  Smiley
IP Logged
Ela

« Reply #37 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 10:39pm »

Tip: take 4 long weekends with tons of
old american classics. you'll speak english
better then the queen of England. Grin
IP Logged
Googlebot

« Reply #38 on: Sep 9th, 2012, 2:10pm »

English is the international language. It is easy to learn. We here in Bulgaria learn English in school. I think the most important languages ​​to know are English and Russian  Cool
IP Logged
cartoonle

« Reply #39 on: Dec 1st, 2012, 11:45am »

From TV, at school and from internet Smiley
IP Logged

friv - something i've built
rathodh61

« Reply #40 on: Jan 11th, 2013, 7:52am »

Hii Everyone...nice to meeting you.  

My self Harisingh Rathore.

I am new to this forum.

The best way to learn English (or any language) is to associate with others.  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »