wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - birthsigns »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:54pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   psychology
(Moderators: Icarus, william wu, ThudnBlunder, towr, SMQ, Grimbal, Eigenray)
   birthsigns
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: birthsigns  (Read 26482 times)
honey

very intellectual place i like it here:)

birthsigns  
« on: Dec 8th, 2004, 6:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

what is your views on the horoscopes and chineese birthsigns??do the stars and the date really have to do with us??i am just like my sign-scorpio..im demanding stubborn outspoken,and my tarotcard the hANGMAN actually fits me completly too.
THEY SAY that the onset of life molds us and our personality materalizes but whatelse makes the person that we are??everyone has skeltons in the closet is anyone ever themselves or do we all wear a cloak??they say 1st impressions are the best but you never truely known anyone until the layers start to unpeel and unravel.does anyone here know anyone with several personalities or mental problems?
i know i strayed from the subject...but do you believe in your birthsigns??
a man who cannot entertain himself is truely a weak man
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2004, 6:50pm by honey » IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Re: birthsigns  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 7:26pm »

Quote:
what is your views on the horoscopes and chineese birthsigns??

Irrefutable nonsense.

Quote:
do the stars and the date really have to do with us??

At the time of your birth the person who delivered you had a greater gravitational effect upon you than did Mars!

The most widely-quoted scientifically-based evidence seeming to support astrology is probably Gauquelin's 'Mars Effect' but doubts have been cast upon his methodology. However, read here for an attempted refutation of the claimed refutation!  

« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2004, 3:20am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 6:31am »

on Dec 8th, 2004, 6:47pm, honey wrote:
what is your views on the horoscopes and chineese birthsigns??do the stars and the date really have to do with us??

I believe astrology is phony. I can accept having a birth sign and dividing the year into the zodiac, but saying that being born in a particular 30 day period dictates my personality is a bit tough to swallow.

Quote:
THEY SAY that the onset of life molds us and our personality materalizes but whatelse makes the person that we are??

I think our personalities are molded in our early years by our environment -- did your parents love you or beat you? Did you live in a house or in a refrigerator box? I think the time between about six months and six years does quite a bit to mold us, however, we definitely have propensities that we are born with. I am naturally a quiet introvert, and have been my whole life. As a baby I did not cry much, even for pain. There are other events that shaped me into who I am (e.g. an abusive father) and encouraged behavior in me as an adult (I refuse to harm my family in any way).

Quote:
everyone has skeltons in the closet is anyone ever themselves or do we all wear a cloak??

I think everyone has something to hide, even if that something is innocous. There are issues with my past that nobody else knows but me. Perhaps these facts are harmless, perhaps not. However, those are MY skeletons and NOBODY gets to see them.

Quote:
they say 1st impressions are the best but you never truely known anyone until the layers start to unpeel and unravel.

First impressions are important, and it can take years to overcome a bad first impression. Or it could take a day. I had a negative first impression of my wife, and five years after we met, we married. So you are correct, it took a long time for me to know her well enough to make the obvious decision.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
Three Hands
Uberpuzzler

Reucserru+Oymai

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 5:29am »

In terms of astrology and chinese birthsigns, it may be interesting to see how well you match a different sign. You may find that each of them matches, at least to a fair extent, your own personality.

That said, there are other ways in which when you are born can affect your personality - in terms of your relative age to others in your classes at school, what the weather is like on your birthday (and so what kind of birthday activities/presents you receive), and so on. While these have little to do with which constellation happened to be overhead when you were born, they could possibly explain some general traits that tend to develop in people born at certain times of the year.

However, with horoscopes and astrology, if you are expecting certain things to happen, or that you will act in a certain way, often people take steps to ensure such things can happen, or act in a given way. I guess it might be interesting to run an experiment where one group of people read their daily horoscopes in the morning, while the other group checks theirs the next day, and both rate how accurate their horoscopes are...
IP Logged
TheNumberScott

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18th, 2006, 8:02pm »

I've heard of an experiment where a professor printed out everybody in the classe's horoscope and handed them out. Then he asked how many of them thought it was pretty accurate. They all said that it fit them well enough. Then he had them trade papers with others. They all had the exact same piece of paper.
IP Logged

There once was a man who hurt his shins. So he went to the doctor to get some help, and they gave him shins of rebar!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »