wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Relationship Research »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:28pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   psychology
(Moderators: Eigenray, william wu, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, Grimbal, SMQ, towr)
   Relationship Research
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Relationship Research  (Read 5237 times)
aer2

Relationship Research  
« on: Sep 7th, 2005, 12:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey everyone!   I am a graduate student at the University of Rochester in Rochester, NY and we are running a number of studies on intimate/marital relationships that I think some of you may be interested in.  Some of the aspects of relationships we are interested in are: communication, conflict, personality, sexuality, satisfaction, and the newlywed years.  I have provided a description of each of the studies below.  If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me!  Thank you in advance for your time and considerationSmiley

www.couples-research.com

CURRENT ONLINE SURVEYS:  
The Communication & Conflict in Relationships  
     Survey (NEW)  
This survey is voluntary & anonymous
It is shorter (takes 15-20 minutes to  
    complete)
Will offer you more extensive feedback on the  
    quality of your relationship.

Personality and Relationships Survey (NEW)  
This survey is voluntary & anonymous
It is shorter (takes 15-20 minutes to  
    complete)
Offers EXTENSIVE FEEDBACK on your  
    personality and your relationship

LONGITUDINAL STUDY:
Understanding Challenges in Early Marriage Study:
Is voluntary and confidential
Is open to engaged couples and newlyweds
Takes 20-25 minutes for the initial survey
Includes short (5-10min) yearly follow up  
    surveys
Pays $5-10 for completed surveys with  
    chances to win $100 each year

Thank you for your time and support!

Ronald D. Rogge, Ph.D.
Department of Clinical and Social Psychology
University of Rochester
rogge@psych.rochester.edu
IP Logged
Jesse

Email

Re: Relationship Research  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 1:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dont you think that paying your participants might effect the data?
eg. i just want the money so im going to fill in whatever.
IP Logged
aer2

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 6:01am »

Hello,
In two of the surveys we don't pay the participants (Communication/Personality).  However, we do pay for the newlywed study.  This is because this study takes considerably longer for participants to complete and it seemed proper to reimburse people for their time and effort.  However, I should mention that the payment is very minimal therefore I am not as concerned that this will greatly impact the results.  If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.  Have a good day!
IP Logged
AkumAPRIME

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 9:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Subject compensation is always a matter for some concern. For example, you're less likely to draw wealthy newlyweds, so will your results be generalizable only to a poor population? But in general newlyweds are poor so....

Experiment design is always a pain in the ass, and little things like this always make me crazy. I think some small compensation is good in this case, just make sure they know to answer honestly, because they will be paid no matter what.
IP Logged
Three Hands
Uberpuzzler

Reucserru+Oymai

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30th, 2005, 4:06pm »

Just a brief point about paying someone to take the experiment:

Not paying people to take the experiment would then lead to the vast majority of people taking the experiment to already have some interest in psychology, or simply have faith in it providing a betterment for mankind. While they may well answer honestly, the responses will be skewed towards these groups of people - as well as further running into problems with those already with some interest in psychology taking their knowledge into the experiment, and so second-guessing what results the experiment is expected to produce, which will affect the results further. By paying people to take the test, there's some loss in accuracy due to people going with a "grab the money and run" approach, but many more people will do it for the money, but a do so honestly.

In short, whatever approach you take to enticing people to be subjects in a psychology experiment, there will always be a fair amount of experimental error due to random/skewed results.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »