wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Psychology and volunteer work »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:11pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   psychology
(Moderators: SMQ, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Icarus, Grimbal, towr, Eigenray)
   Psychology and volunteer work
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Psychology and volunteer work  (Read 12504 times)
eindoofus

Psychology and volunteer work  
« on: Sep 2nd, 2006, 9:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am hoping to eventually take some undergrad classes in psychology but as of right now I do not have enough money to go back to school. Its going to take me a while to save up so I was thinking that there might be a way to use my free time on the weekends to do something productive. This way I can have something to put on my resume a few years down the road.

Does anyone have any ideas of volunteer work that I could possibly do that would be relevant to the field of psychology and which does not require any special training?

Thanks.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Psychology and volunteer work  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:21pm »

You could man a phone help line; listen to peoples problem etc. A suicide help line would require a bit of training, but not too much I think.
And there's probably a few more things along those lines.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 3:59pm »

Call the psychology dept of your local university, or talk to local hospitals - particularly those with psych wards, and ask them what volunteer possibilities are available. If that doesn't pan out, maybe you could volunteer to work with the mentally handicapped. Not quite the same thing, but this can still give you some insight into the working of human minds, and I know that most large communities are always in need of such help. Patience and understanding (and more patience) are the real requirements there.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pollie

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 4:28pm »

There are many possibilities. You can volunteer at substance abuse centers, tutor juvinile delinquents, work in womens shelters, food lines, churches, commision on aging. Any where people are in need. Contact your chamber of commerce, check with local hospitals for drug, abuse and disorder programs, along with terminally ill or group therapy programs and with hotlines, check with GED programs, special olympics. Of course as Icarus suggested the psychology dept. Many of these I have done personally. Use your phone book there are many programs available to help people call them to volunteer, as most of them are in need of people like you.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »