wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - why do you like psychology »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 18th, 2024, 11:55pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   psychology
(Moderators: Eigenray, SMQ, towr, william wu, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, Grimbal)
   why do you like psychology
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: why do you like psychology  (Read 23476 times)
thinktank

why do you like psychology  
« on: Mar 7th, 2007, 5:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

for me its just that I can understand myself better...and others better...

finally it shows me how we as human beings are all of the same kind...
IP Logged
Benny
Uberpuzzler

Re: why do you like psychology  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15th, 2008, 11:28am »

This thread is going cold, so I post my answer.

I read about psychology if and when time allows me. I find it useful especially in Game Theory.

It helps to know and understand oneself. Psychology has something to teach us, and so do literature and philosophy.
IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jul 4th, 2012, 2:17pm »

Robin Williams: "Freud: If it's not one thing, it's your mother."
IP Logged

alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 6:02am »

Hermann Hesse: "We can understand one another, but each of us can only interpret himself."

Psychiatrists focus on other people's problems, which is really just a way of avoiding their own. They can prescribe medications too and diagnose "schizophrenia".  

They certainly wouldn't be prescribing drugs were it not profitable to them. Some of the drugs have had extremely harmful effects on many of the people who have taken them. Many people claim to feel better taking psychiatric drugs, at least for a time. Many people also say they feel better using alcohol and street drugs. Some pay a big price for the relief of "pleasure" obtained from such drugs. Taking these drugs regularly is simply bad habit, and as with other bad habits, it often can be broken with understanding, a positive attitude, determination, patience, a healthy diet and exercise.

Schizophrenia is something many antipsychiatry activists and other critics totally reject. They say "paranoid schizophrenia" is a fake disease. There are no effective treatments for fake diseases. Treating nonexistent diseases medically is a form of quackery.  

I myself like to talk to my psychiatrist. It makes me feel important.
IP Logged

towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 9:27am »

on Jan 24th, 2013, 6:02am, alien2 wrote:
They certainly wouldn't be prescribing drugs were it not profitable to them.
I would imagine psychotherapy is much more profitable, since all it costs you as therapist is time and you get to pocket all the fee. On the other hand, if you prescribe drugs, it's the pharmacy that makes money from the client, not the therapist prescribing it.

Quote:
Schizophrenia is something many antipsychiatry activists and other critics totally reject. They say "paranoid schizophrenia" is a fake disease. There are no effective treatments for fake diseases. Treating nonexistent diseases medically is a form of quackery.
Okay, so people heavily invested and biased against psychiatry think it's quackery. Hardly surprising.
What do unbiased, objective researchers think?

If I want to know whether UFO's exist, I'm not going to ask a UFO-nut. If I want to know whether global warming happens, I'm not going to ask the fossil fuel industry.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2013, 8:29am »

Well, human rights activists and critics say, for instance, that Zyprexa can result in unwanted weight gain, diabetes, other metabolic diseases, and death.  They say that this antipsychotic drug caused diabetes and other diseases in millions of people, and that tens of thousands of people have died or will die prematurely. They don’t have an undisputed proof though, so I guess they are not very convincing. It is no secret that Zyprexa can cause diabetes, but unlike activists and critics, psychiatrists say this happens rarely and that there is no cover up.  

As I said, I like talking to my therapist, but my introduction into the world of psychiatry was a pretty shocking experience. I was young and frustrated back then. I am still frustrated because I’m not young anymore. I took my frustrations out on my mother by yelling at her, so she called the police. A policeman and a paramedic suddenly appeared in my living room. The policeman had a gun in his holster. They told me to come with them nolens volens. When I stepped out of my building, I saw a police van and an ambulance. They told me to enter the ambulance and drove me to a mental institution. Next I was sitting on a chair in a small room, talking to two strangers who didn't introduce themselves, while the above police officer with the gun was standing behind me. Since the two men sitting in front of me were wearing white clothes, I presumed that they were doctors on duty. They asked me a few simple questions and I gave nothing but simple answers. After about 60 seconds, they diagnosed me with paranoid schizophrenia. Also, they suggested that I sign a document, which states that I am volunteering to be hospitalized for thirty days. They said that if I don’t sign the document, they could keep me in the institution far longer than thirty days. I was scared so I signed. Next thing I knew, I had to take off my clothes and put on some worn and cheap hospital pajamas. Then they took me to a room with other patients, who didn’t look like ordinary people. I heard the voice of a nurse yelling: “Therapy!”  She entered the room together with a nursing technician who was driving a cart full of pills, water and small plastic glasses. The nurse looked like Karl Malden. When I asked her what’s in the pills, she just said that it is medicine and that it is good for me. She said nothing about what the pills are called, what they actually do and what are the side effects. She then said that if I refused to take drugs orally, one of two things would happen, that is, I would receive injections or she would call the cops. I had no choice but to comply. After 30 days I was allowed to return home, still under the impression how paranoid schizophrenia can be diagnosed with a single glance and how doctors prescribe drugs like candy. I was angry at my mother because she called the cops, but now I realize that she is a good person who sometimes makes mistakes like everybody else and that she wishes me nothing but the best.  
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2013, 3:10am by alien2 » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28th, 2013, 9:35am »

Every medicine (and pretty much anything you eat, drink or otherwise ingest) can have side-effects. Medicines tend to come with information leaflet that has a long list of side-effects you may expect and at what level (1 in a 1000, 1 in 10000 etc); or at least, that's how they're regulated here. Whether taking medicine is a good idea depends one whether the probability it will solve your problem outweighs the risk of side-effects. And sometimes serious side-effects may not become apparent till years too late, and sometimes pharmacological companies try to cover it up.
That's why good regulation, good (independent) research and side-effect tracking are necessary. If you're interested, Ben Goldacre has a recent book out (Bad Pharma) that discusses some of the problems with the pharmacological industry.

That's a chilling story of your first experience with psychiatry. I don't really have any experience with it, and I don't know how it should go, but I'm pretty sure that's not how.  I don't know when or where it was, but I'd like to think it wouldn't happen here or now and that we have better regulation in place that prevents substandard diagnoses.
IP Logged

webtasarim

http://www.yelidesign.net   http://www.yelidesign.net

« Reply #7 on: Oct 6th, 2013, 5:58pm »

People who like psychology are the ones who lacked self understanding to a great extent at one point in their lives, as a result they developed an eager desire to know more about themselves.

That's exactly what happened to me, when i was 17 i felt that i don't understand many things about myself and this is why i started to like psychology.

When you find someone moving in one direction then make sure that he is trying to move away as much as he can from the other direction. The girl who stays in the gym all day is actually trying to stay away from being unfit even if her body appears perfect now.

The person who is studying psychology and who likes it is actually someone who is trying to avoid lack of self understanding.
IP Logged
Nursejim

The 1 Inch Punch

« Reply #8 on: Oct 8th, 2013, 4:17am »

on Jul 4th, 2012, 2:17pm, alien2 wrote:
Robin Williams: "Freud: If it's not one thing, it's your mother."

How true that is. I have read that our whole lives revolve around our mother relationship.

I love psychology because of the intricacy if the human mind and emotions. It can be hard ti understand but completely rewarding once you begin to grasp certain concepts.
IP Logged

Advanced Sales Funnel System
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Oct 8th, 2013, 8:51am »

on Oct 8th, 2013, 4:17am, Nursejim wrote:
How true that is. I have read that our whole lives revolve around our mother relationship.
I've read that there's a wizard school in England called Hogwarts.

Don't believe everything you read. Especially not if it comes from Freud -- I'd sooner take a class on defense against the dark arts.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2013, 8:52am by towr » IP Logged

Nursejim

The 1 Inch Punch

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11th, 2013, 9:36pm »

on Oct 8th, 2013, 8:51am, towr wrote:

I've read that there's a wizard school in England called Hogwarts.

Don't believe everything you read. Especially not if it comes from Freud -- I'd sooner take a class on defense against the dark arts.

I think Edipus was s Hogwart grad  Wink
IP Logged

Advanced Sales Funnel System
ramandeep

« Reply #11 on: Nov 23rd, 2013, 2:16am »

You Don't Like Working with People ... You're Not Good at Handling Stress ... While there are things you can do to improve your coping skills,
IP Logged
goprel

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10th, 2014, 11:02am »

It is a knowledge which helps me to grow up. It is useful in your career and family.
IP Logged
movie4fun

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18th, 2014, 6:59pm »

because it lets me think about topics which people dont really think about much. I also like to figure out why does certain thing happen in a certain way, why am i like this, why he is like that and things like that. And when I think I found an answer of such question it gives me some kind of pleasure. more like the fell you get when you just solved a puzzle.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »