wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - What is more powerful touch or vision? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:53pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   psychology
(Moderators: towr, william wu, Grimbal, SMQ, Eigenray, Icarus, ThudnBlunder)
   What is more powerful touch or vision?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What is more powerful touch or vision?  (Read 862 times)
Tim_Johnson

What is more powerful touch or vision?  
« on: Sep 9th, 2014, 1:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What is the more powerful sense. The sense of touch or vision?

This is an experiment I did 20 years ago when studying after images. It may help answer this question.

You will need a xeon flash (camera flash). Computer monitor or television screen. The larger  
the better.  I used a CRT (being 20 years ago). An LCD or LED screen should be adequate. A chair and an assistant to hold the flash.  

Sit in the chair arm length in front of the monitor. Hold out one arm with your hand touching the monitor.

Have the assistant turn the lights off and hold the flash about 6 inches above and a little behind your head.
Then when ready trigger the flash once.

Relax and don't move. You should see a full color after image of your arm. Now switch arms quickly.
(Hold out your other arm and touch the monitor).

What do you observe?

You may want to repeat this experiment a few times to get the timing right. Color after images may take 5-10 seconds to dissipate. The black and white images may take 10-20 seconds to dissipate.

I observed when I switched arms before the color after image dissipated I could not feel my hand touching the television or the movement of my arm until the after image dissipated.

My conclusion.  In this experiment vision is more powerful than the sense of touch.

TIM
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2014, 1:37am by Tim_Johnson » IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: What is more powerful touch or vision?  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9th, 2014, 10:16am »

I'm not quite clear on your criteria for what makes a sense powerful. But I do know some people feel their arms years after they have been amputated. So as far as after-sensing goes, that seems a clear "win".

And as far as usefulness to survival; people that have no sense of pain tend to die young, because they don't notice injuries. Blind people have a much better survival rate (in modern society).
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
gitanas

Re: What is more powerful touch or vision?  
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2016, 7:22am »

As I know experienced fighters can fight with eyes closed. They just feel the enemy with touch.
IP Logged

Dummy Frog - my blog about interesting and funny things in our World
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »