wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - CS: STRING PERMUTATIONS »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:19am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: william wu, Icarus, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, towr, Grimbal)
   CS: STRING PERMUTATIONS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CS: STRING PERMUTATIONS  (Read 2086 times)
S. Owen

CS: STRING PERMUTATIONS  
« on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 3:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's my idea in pseudo-code:

printPermutations(String s, int offset)
 if offset == s's length
  write s to output
  return

for swapWith = offset to s's length-1
  swap s[offset] with s[swapWith]
  printPermutations(s, offset+1)
  swap back s[offset] with s[swapWith]

printAllPermutations(String s)
 printPermutations(s, 0)

Basically you attack the problem by first leaving s's first character in place, and printing all permutations of the rest of s recursively. Once that's done, you swap the first character with another one in the s, and do the same thing. Repeat until you've swapped and repeated on every character in s. It works...

Now of course this algorithm is Theta(n!), but anything that prints all permutations of a string of n characters is Omega(n!). Maybe this can be made a little faster, but not significantly faster in the theoretical sense.

Right? Better ideas?
IP Logged
AlexH

Email

Re: CS: STRING PERMUTATIONS  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 4:18pm »

Assuming we want to print out each permutation exactly one, then there is a problem. The question does not make this requirement explicit so I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you might want to consider what to do when there are repeated letters in the string so that you get only 1 copy of each different permutation. In cases where there are several repeated letters it will save quite a bit of time to only do unique strings.  

There is also some tricky stuff you could do if you if you were allowed to print out all the permutations mashed together as one giant string which had every possible permutation as a (contiguous) substring but I don't think that was the intent of the problem.
IP Logged
S. Owen

Fixed printPermutations  
« Reply #2 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 9:04pm »

Good point, this should take care of it:

printPermutations(String s, int offset)
 if offset == s's length
  write s to output
  return

Set seenCharacters
 for swapWith = offset to s's length-1
  if seenCharacter doesn't contain s[swapWith]
   swap s[offset] with s[swapWith]
   printPermutations(s, offset+1)
   swap back s[offset] with s[swapWith]
   add s[swapWith] to seenCharacters

printAllPermutations(String s)
 printPermutations(s, 0)

IP Logged
ponkere

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 12:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

"There is also some tricky stuff you could do if you if you were allowed to print out all the permutations mashed together as one giant string which had every possible permutation as a (contiguous) substring but I don't think that was the intent of the problem. "

How can this be done in < O(n!) ?
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 1:16pm »

on Oct 29th, 2004, 12:12pm, ponkere wrote:
How can this be done in < O(n!) ?

Calculating permutations is inherently O(n!). Obviously, Theta and Omega are also n!. Anyway, the answer to your question is "it can't."

To address a previous message, a data set with repeated elements will have n! permutations. Unique permutations will be lower, but two identical output strings both count.

One easy way to ensure unique output is to store the output in a binary tree using only keys (no values). A concrete example is using C++'s std::set data structure. Adding a value already in the tree does nothing. Given the potentially large size of the result tree, random access is fast at log2(n!) for an input string of length n.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
ponkere

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 8:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes, the process is O(n!) even if we want to print only the unique strings. In fact, we'd need to do a little more work since we have to find out which strings are unique.

I was referring to the "tricky stuff" (I'm not sure if this is about printing unique strings) mentioned in the same post which printed the long string. I figured it must have a time complexity of < O(n!) as you are making some assumptions about the output. Of course, splitting this string to print n! perms is trivially O(n!).
IP Logged
Eros

« Reply #6 on: Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:03am »

A c# code to print only the unique permutations of a string with repeated elements.

void UniquePermutation(char [] list, int k, int m)
{
  if (k == m)
  {  
    Console.Write (list);
    Console.WriteLine (" ");
  }
 else
 {
   for (int i = k; i < m; i++)
   {
     swap (ref list[k],ref list[i]);
     UniquePermutation(list, k+1, m);
     swap (ref list[k],ref list[i]);
     while( (i<m-1)&& (list[i] == list[i+1]))
      i++;
 }  
}
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »