wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - NEW PROBLEM: 1-1SAT »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 3:38am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, towr, william wu, Grimbal, Icarus, Eigenray, SMQ)
   NEW PROBLEM: 1-1SAT
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NEW PROBLEM: 1-1SAT  (Read 2393 times)
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

NEW PROBLEM: 1-1SAT  
« on: Sep 30th, 2002, 1:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let F11 be a boolean formula in conjunctive normal form (that is, F11 = C1 AND ... AND Cm, where each Ci is of the form xi1 OR ... OR xin, where each literal xik is either a variable or its negation). Suppose each variable appears in the formula exactly once as x and once as NOT x. Find a polynomial-time algorithm that decides whether F11 can be true for some attribution of variables, OR show that this problem is NP-complete.
IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: NEW PROBLEM: 1-1SAT  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 4:15pm »

My proposed polytime algorithm (highlight below area with mouse pointer to see):

We will repeatedly reduce the SAT expression, iterating through the literals and throwing them out. If we ever see a literal x and its complement ~x in the same OR clause, we can throw out x and ~x. And if x and ~x are in different clauses, we can still reduce by noting that (x OR y) AND (~x OR z) = (y OR z). (Note that y and z don't have to be individual variables, but rather could be logical expressions themselves.) So with each iteration we throw out a literal.  In the end, if everything is thrown out, a satisfying assignment exists. But if we end up with any terms like x AND ~x, it's not satisfiable.

?

// edited to correct a small typo
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2003, 10:18am by william wu » IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 1:46am »

on Jan 7th, 2003, 4:15pm, william wu wrote:

If we ever see a literal x and its complement ~x in the same OR clause, we can throw out x and ~x.

You can throw out the whole OR-clause, since it evaluates to true.

Quote:
And if x and ~x are in different clauses, we can still reduce by noting that (x OR y) AND (x OR z) = (y OR z).

but (x OR y) AND (x OR z)  == x OR (y AND z), isn't it? Besides x only occurs once..
and if you meant  
(x OR y) AND (~x OR z)
it would still be (x AND z) OR (y AND ~x) OR (y AND z)

IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
william wu

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 10:18am »

on Jan 8th, 2003, 1:46am, towr wrote:

You can throw out the whole OR-clause, since it evaluates to true.

Ah that's right, thanks. So we remove a clause with every iteration.

Quote:

but (x OR y) AND (x OR z)  == x OR (y AND z), isn't it? Besides x only occurs once..
and if you meant  
(x OR y) AND (~x OR z)
it would still be (x AND z) OR (y AND ~x) OR (y AND z)

I meant the latter, (x OR y) AND (~x OR z). But I claim that's still (y OR z). We're trying to find a truth assignment that satisfies the formula, so you can assign x accordingly such that (x AND z) OR (y AND ~x) OR (y AND z) becomes (y OR z). Let 1 = true and 0 = false. Then:

If we assign YZ = 11, then assign X to be anything.
If we assign YZ = 10, then assign X to be 0.
If we assign YZ = 01, then assign X to be 1.

Using these mappings you end up with y OR z.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 12:25pm »

I don't think it's a good idea to fill in the variables before you've simplified the whole formula..
I don't think you should fill in anything, since the question is only if there exists an assignment, and you don't need to give one.
So if you can show it's not a logical contradiction, it will have an assignment that satisfies it.

But maybe you're right and it will work.. I'll have to think about it..
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 12:57pm »

if it's a contradiction, the onyl case in which there isn't an assignment that satisfices it, then the opposite must evalute to true..
so, flip all AND's to OR's, all (original) OR's to AND flip x to not(x), and vice versa. simplify the now disjunctive normalform (so much easier). If it simplifies to true there isn't a satisfiying assignment, else there is..
(it's late, so I may be wrong, but I think I'm not..)
IP Logged

william wu

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 1:27pm »

Well, I'm not really filling in anything yet.  I don't know what Y and Z will become in the end, so I can't use those mappings for X. I listed the mappings just to argue that I can reduce the formula such that X disappears, because if there's a satisfying assignment for the original form, there will also be one for the reduced form, and vice versa.

Suppose we have a formula F that includes the expression (x AND z) OR (y AND ~x) OR (y AND z). Now I replace that part of the formula with (y OR z) to get F'. (Note that in F, the variable x and its complement each only appear once, and in F', they are both nowhere to be found.)

If there exists a satisfying assignment to F, then there also exists a satisfying assignment to F'. Let's look at F clause by clause. Clearly if (y AND z) is true, then F' is satisfied regardless of what x is. If (y AND ~x) is true, then y must be true and thus (y OR z) must also be true. Similarly, if (x AND z) is true, then x must be true and thus (y OR z) must also be true.

If there exists a satisfying assignment to F', then there also exists a satisfying assignment to F. Just choose x accordingly depending on whether YZ = 11 or 01 or 10.

As for actually finding the truth assignment, I think we could get it by looking backwards after all clauses are thrown out.

Yes, in the event of a contradiction, the inverse of our formula will evaluate to true, but I'm not sure I see the point ... is storing in a computer the tautology (x AND ~x) = FALSE harder than storing (x OR ~x) = TRUE ?

IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 12:37am »

on Jan 8th, 2003, 1:27pm, william wu wrote:

Yes, in the event of a contradiction, the inverse of our formula will evaluate to true, but I'm not sure I see the point ...
Having slept on it I'm inclined to agree there isn't much of a point.. Though I still prefer working with disjunctive normal form over conjunctive normal form..

Anyway, I think your algorithm should work nicely..

IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »