wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - New problem: Peg Solitaire »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 6:39pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: Grimbal, towr, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, SMQ, william wu, Eigenray)
   New problem: Peg Solitaire
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New problem: Peg Solitaire  (Read 2688 times)
Garzahd

mlahut

New problem: Peg Solitaire  
« on: Nov 18th, 2002, 4:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The following is from topcoder.com, from the only problem set that I wrote for them. Smiley For the contest, you had an 8 second program execution limit (on a P3/700mhz or so). Unlike many of the "hard" problems on the site that fit the "let's-see-how-hard-we-can-make-this-and-still-cram-it-into-75-minutes" category, this one required a fairly interesting inspiration.
--------

In the game of Peg Solitaire, you are given a arrangement of pegs that fit into a line of equally-spaced holes. In order to win the game, you must reduce the number of pegs to one, by using a series of jumps. Each jump occurs according to the following rules:

- A peg may only jump over those immediately adjacent to it on the left or right.
- A jumping peg must jump exactly one other peg, no more, no less.
- Once the jump is completed, the peg that was jumped over is removed.

For example, given the configuration of pegs and holes

where a period represents an empty hole, and where a digit represents a peg, the legal moves are as follows:
[peg 3 jumped over peg 4, which was then removed]
or
[peg 2 jumped over peg 1, which was then removed]
These are the only two legal moves on that configuration.

A position is defined as "winnable" if, through a series of jumps, it can be reduced to one peg. For example, the above position is winnable, since it can be reduced to one peg by the following set of jumps:

...1234.5.... [initial]
...12..35.... [peg 3 jumped over peg 4]
.....1.35.... [peg 1 jumped over peg 2]
.....15...... [peg 5 jumped over peg 3]
....5........ [peg 5 jumped over peg 1]

Given a number N of pegs, write a method that returns the number of winnable positions that consist of N pegs.

NOTES
- When considering whether two positions are identical, disregard excess empty holes on the left and right side.
- Note that there is no "edge" of the playing field; there are essentially infinitely many empty holes.

An input is valid if the following criterion is met:
- size will be an integer between 2 and 35, inclusive

Test cases:
Input: 2
Output: 1
There is only one winnable case with 2 pegs; when they are adjacent.

Input: 4
Output: 3
The patterns containing 4 pegs are

Input: 8
Output: 23
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2002, 4:11pm by Garzahd » IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: New problem: Peg Solitaire  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2002, 2:07pm »

doh.. silly me wanted to figure out how you can remove the pegs.. But it just occured to me it is much easier to see how you can add pegs.

start with 1 peg
add 1 (reverse jump)
(which are the same)

=>

etc

all you need to add a peg by reverse jump is a peg with two holes next to it.. Much easier than trying every configuration of pegs and holes and check which are solvable..
With something like hashing, and going breadth-first you can check at every node for doubles and use that to trim the tree and optimize..
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2002, 2:08pm by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 10:35am »

I made a prolog program that goes up to 12 (then it hits a stack overflow Tongue )
the sequence so far is (starting with 2 pegs):
1 2 3 6 9 16 23 34 45 60 75
the difference is:
 1 1 3 3 7 7 11 11 15 15

hmm.. maybe I should try another prolog.. (or other progarmming language Tongue )

[edit]
more of the sequence: 94 113 136 159 186 213

it seems like xn = 4 * floor((n+1)/2) - 9 + xn-1 for n > 4
and xn = n-1  for 2 < x <=4
[/edit]
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2002, 10:58am by towr » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 1:09pm »

closed formula for n > 4 : xn = n2 - 7n +15 + odd(n)
( odd(n) = 1 if n is odd, 0 otherwise)
IP Logged

James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 1:31pm »

It seems to me that there are at least two different approaches to this problem which could be called simple. The first approach I thought of is the same a towr's:

1) Find all the different winning positions for n-1 pegs.

2) Generate all possible winning positions for n pegs by performing every possible anti-jump from every n-1 peg position (there are a maximum of 4 such jumps per position, so this isn't too memory-intensive).

3) Sort all of these, and eliminate duplicates.

This would not take a very long time! Well, not for small n, which probably includes n <= 35.

However, there is another way that I've thought of. Simply notice that all winning combinations for 3 or more pegs are of the following form (sorry about the poor regular expression syntax!), or its left-to-right reversal:

11(01)*(11)*{0,10111}(01)*1

An asterisk after a bracket indicates that the contents in the bracket can be repeated any number of times (including zero times). The curly braces indicate that you must select one of the items inside them.

It should be pretty easy to calculate the total number of winning positions using this regular expression, and noticing that the only duplicates created by left-to-right reversal are of the following form:

11(01)*00(10)*11

This should probably be algorithmically faster than the simpler game tree method, but will require more thinking before coding.
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Garzahd

mlahut

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 5:10pm »

towr has my intended solution.

This problem originally came from a class I took, and yes, all winnable bitstrings do indeed fit into a handful of regular expressions.  

The closed-form is clearly the most optimal, however for the contest I didn't expect people to derive that in the 75 minutes they were given to solve this (and two other problems).
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »