wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Finding a Permutation »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:04pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: towr, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Grimbal, Icarus, Eigenray, SMQ)
   Finding a Permutation
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Finding a Permutation  (Read 3241 times)
Dudidu

Finding a Permutation  
« on: Oct 29th, 2003, 6:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Given n real numbers x1,...,xn where each xi[in][0,1], devise an algorithm that will output a permutation of them ([sigma]) such that [sum]i=2n |x[smiley=subsigma.gif](i) - x[smiley=subsigma.gif](i-1)| [le] 2.

Hint: An algorithm that sorts x1,...,xn is not efficent enough.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Finding a Permutation  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 7:39am »

::I can see why sorting isn't efficient enough, since then the sum is smaller or equal to 1, which is better than asked..
So partly sorting it is sufficient, like sorting the front and the back half Tongue
But you probably want O(n) (or better), instead of O(n log(n)) with a better constant
::
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Dudidu

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 12:13am »

towr,  
when I said in my hint that "an algorithm that sorts ... is not efficent enough" I didn't mean to say that it doesn't solve the problem. I meant to indicate that O(nlogn) time complexity isn't good enough (i.e. I'm looking for an algorithm with a better time complexity).
Sorry if this wasn't comprehensible Undecided.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2003, 12:13am by Dudidu » IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 1:31am »

I know it solves the problem, but it does much better than asked, so it's too powerfull a method, and something weaker is sufficient..
I was just wondering how much more efficient you wanted..
IP Logged

Dudidu

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 3:08am »

on Oct 30th, 2003, 1:31am, towr wrote:
I was just wondering how much more efficient you wanted..

I'm looking for a O(n) time complexity algorithm.
Hope this helps... Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2003, 3:09am by Dudidu » IP Logged
DH

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 6:18am »

::

Split the numbers in n sets. For the ith set all numbers are greater than or equal to (i-1)/n and lower than i/n. if present , 1 belongs to the nth set. For each set find the maximum and the minimum. To get the permutation list the numbers from all sets starting with the 1st and ending with the nth set. Inside a set first list the minimum then all other numbers ( the order does not matter ) then list the maximum from that set.

There will be 2 kind of terms in our sum:

1: the numbers belong to the same set -> the term is <=1/n

2: the numbers belong to different sets -> there are no other numbers between those 2 numbers that appear in the respective term because the first number is the maximum in some set and the next number is the minimum in the following non empty set.

The sum of all terms of type 1 is < 1. The sum of all terms of type 2 is <=1.

IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 7:45am »

I wish I had thought of that..
IP Logged

Dudidu

« Reply #7 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 9:43am »

Well done DH !!!
A correct solution Grin !
but can you solve the "follower"...

Given n real numbers x1,...,xn where each xi[in][0,1], devise an algorithm that will output a permutation of them ([sigma]) such that [sum]i=2n |x[smiley=subsigma.gif](i) - x[smiley=subsigma.gif](i-1)| [le] 1 + 1/n.

IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 9:49am »

I would like to join Dudidu in praising DH's solution.  As for the follower:
[smiley=blacksquare.gif]
If the interval [0,1] is divided into K sub-intervals, then - using the same reasoning as DH's - the sum will not exceed 1 + n/K. So, take K = n2.
[smiley=blacksquare.gif]
And the last but not the least: thanks, Dudidu, for this brilliant puzzle!
IP Logged
Dudidu

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 10:00am »

Barukh,  
Your solution for the follower is a little bit problematic:

If you take K = n2, you have (of course) n2 bins. Thus, when you want to "build" your permutation you will need to look in all the bins, and this can take O(n2) time complexity.

So, how can you deal with this minor (Roll Eyes) problem?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 10:22am »

::hash it Tongue::
IP Logged

Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 10:50am »

I didn't have time to answer (seems the posts are coming with a speed of light  Grin).

Anyway, yours is a good point, Dudidu! I am not sure I understand what towr had in mind, but that's what I have:  [smiley=blacksquare.gif]Divide all the bins into n sets, n bins in each. When generating the permutation, scan the sets first, then the bins in non-empty sets. Because there are only n elements, the ocmplexity cannot exceed O(n).[smiley=blacksquare.gif]

Does it make sense?
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2003, 10:51am by Barukh » IP Logged
DH

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 3:04pm »

on Oct 30th, 2003, 10:50am, Barukh wrote:
I didn't have time to answer (seems the posts are coming with a speed of light  Grin).

Anyway, yours is a good point, Dudidu! I am not sure I understand what towr had in mind, but that's what I have:  [smiley=blacksquare.gif]Divide all the bins into n sets, n bins in each. When generating the permutation, scan the sets first, then the bins in non-empty sets. Because there are only n elements, the ocmplexity cannot exceed O(n).[smiley=blacksquare.gif]

Does it make sense?

That would not work because the number of non-empty bins ( on the first level ) is generally O(n) so the complexity is still O(n^2) .

But I think the following works:  

Splitting the numbers into bins ( or , better said , buckets ) is actually bucket sort. What we need is to sort the numbers based on their first 2 digits ( in base n ). This is done O(n) using bucket sort.

IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 12:36am »

on Oct 30th, 2003, 3:04pm, DH wrote:
That would not work because the number of non-empty bins ( on the first level ) is generally O(n) so the complexity is still O(n^2) .

DH, I think we are addressing different issues. Actually, the solution consists of 2 parts:

1. Splitting the numbers into bins (or buckets).
2. Generating the permutation out of the bins.

I think Dudidu's question was about the second part: because there are n2 bins, we cannot just organize them as an array, since then traversing it will take O(n2) time. My approach, I still believe, does remove this obstacle.

Quote:
But I think the following works:

Your post, I think, shows how to perfrom efficiently the first part. But, maybe I am wrong...
IP Logged
DH

« Reply #14 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 2:14am »

Quote:

I think Dudidu's question was about the second part: because there are n2 bins, we cannot just organize them as an array, since then traversing it will take O(n2) time. My approach, I still believe, does remove this obstacle.

Your post, I think, shows how to perfrom efficiently the first part. But, maybe I am wrong...

Yes , Dudidu's question was about the second part. But I think your approach ( I hope I understood it correctly ) does not fix the problem. Consider the case in which sqrt(n) sets are non-empty ( on the first level ). Traversing a non-empty set is of time complexity O(n) . Generating the permutation will have time complexity O(sqrt(n)*n).

My approach sorts the numbers using only the first 2 digits ( in base n ) as a key. This is done O(n) using bucket sort. The number formed by the first 2 digits in base n is actually the bin index so all numbers that belong to the same bin will have consecutive positions in the sorted array so the second part can also be performed efficiently. This is very similar to the initial solution proposed by towr. The only difference is that only 2 digits ( as opposed to the entire number ) need to be used as a key. With this restriction sorting can be done in O(n) time .
IP Logged
Dudidu

« Reply #15 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 11:15am »

Quote:
Divide all the bins into n sets, n bins in each...

Barukh hi Cheesy,
The problem with this approch is that in the worst case scenario it might occur that each of the n numbers will be "transfered" to a different set (i.e. there will be a single number in each set). Thus, there won't be any empty set and we return to first base Embarassed (i.e. we have to find the where the numbers are placed in a range of n2 optional bins).
Sorry...
IP Logged
Dudidu

« Reply #16 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 11:17am »

Quote:
What we need is to sort the numbers based on their first 2 digits (in base n)...
DH Bravo Grin!!!
This is correct (and you have succeeded to face the challenge) !
When I saw your answer at the first time I wasn't sure its correct (apparently since I thought of another answer) but after exaiming it deeply, I think it is exquisit!

Quote:
This is done O(n) using bucket sort...
DH, sorting according to a part of the item's key is called Radix sort (and not bucket sort) --> look at the following link (if you're intrested) http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/radixsort.html.
IP Logged
DH

« Reply #17 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 12:49pm »

on Oct 31st, 2003, 11:17am, Dudidu wrote:

DH, sorting according to a part of the item's key is called Radix sort (and not bucket sort) --> look at the following link (if you're intrested) http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/radixsort.html.

Yeap , you are right the algorithm is called radix sort . Thanks for clearing this up !
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 11:36pm »

on Oct 31st, 2003, 11:15am, Dudidu wrote:
The problem with this approch is that in the worst case scenario it might occur that each of the n numbers will be "transfered" to a different set (i.e. there will be a single number in each set). Thus, there won't be any empty set and we return to first base Embarassed (i.e. we have to find the where the numbers are placed in a range of n2 optional bins).
Sorry...

I was not precise when explaning my approach. I didn't mean to represent sets and bins as nxn matrix. Rather, there is an array (sets) of linked lists (bins). So, if evey element goes to a different set, then each set contains just one bin, so the complexity is O(n).

After reading DH's and Dudidu's last posts, I have to admit that the radixsort approach is much cleaner.  
IP Logged
DH

« Reply #19 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 12:37am »

on Oct 31st, 2003, 11:36pm, Barukh wrote:

I was not precise when explaning my approach. I didn't mean to represent sets and bins as nxn matrix. Rather, there is an array (sets) of linked lists (bins). So, if evey element goes to a different set, then each set contains just one bin, so the complexity is O(n).

Hi Barukh,

That approach raises another problem because the linked lists must be sorted.
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 4:11am »

DH, you are right... I overlooked this. Thanks for clarifying things.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Dudidu

« Reply #21 on: Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:10am »

Barukh hi,
I hope you didn't stop trying to solve the "follower" !!!
The solution that you provided is still not complete (as DH indicated) but it can be completed easily (and wisely (of course Roll Eyes)).
The way that you chose to deal with the "follower" is very similar to solution that I thought about (e.g. the solution that was mentioned as the "another answer" in previous posts). So, keep on trying (I'm looking for the complete solution... Grin)
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #22 on: Nov 2nd, 2003, 9:53am »

Wow, Dudido, what's an inspiration! After failing to resolve "the minor problem" I thought this approach is ill.  

But now! I will try to revive it, although it will not be easy having the radix sort solution in mind...
IP Logged
Dudidu

« Reply #23 on: Nov 2nd, 2003, 9:57am »

on Nov 2nd, 2003, 9:53am, Barukh wrote:
Wow, Dudido, what's an inspiration! After failing to resolve "the minor problem" I thought this approach is ill.  
But now! I will try to revive it, although it will not be easy having the radix sort solution in mind...

Barukh Wink, Good luck !!!
IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #24 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 9:32am »

on Nov 2nd, 2003, 9:57am, Dudidu wrote:

Barukh Wink, Good luck !!!

Dudidu, I must admit that I cannot find anything that doesn't resemble the radix sort solution in some way. If you've got something entirely different, please let (at least) me know.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »