wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Large Array Initialization »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 8:38am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: Grimbal, Eigenray, Icarus, towr, ThudnBlunder, william wu, SMQ)
   Large Array Initialization
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Large Array Initialization  (Read 3039 times)
Dudidu

Large Array Initialization  
« on: Dec 17th, 2003, 11:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Design a data structure that can be used instead of an array and avoids the "high-cost" (i.e. O(n)) of initializing the array. the data structure ought to holds n items and supports the following operations in O(1) time:  
* Init - Initializes the data structure to empty.  
* Set(i, x) - Sets item x at index i in the data structure.  
* Get(i) - Gets the item stored in index i (or 'empty' if nothing is there).  
Remark: the data structure should use O(n) space.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2003, 11:37pm by Dudidu » IP Logged
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Large Array Initialization  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 12:03am »

I think this works, using 3n space, plus a counter:
We have three (0-indexed) arrays, A,B,C, and a counter.
The counter is how many elements have been set.  A contains the data.  For k<count, B[k] contains the index of the k-th element to be set.  If A[k] has been set, C[k] tells when; otherwise, C[k] is undefined.

Init():
counter := 0

boolean IsSet(int k):
if (C[k] < counter) and (B[C[k]]==k) return TRUE
else return FALSE

Set(i, x):
A[i]=x
if not IsSet(i)
  B[count] := i
  C[i] := count
  count := count+1

Get(i):
if IsSet(i) return A[i]
else return 'empty'
IP Logged
Dudidu

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 12:20am »

on Dec 18th, 2003, 12:03am, Eigenray wrote:
I think this works...
Eigenray hi,
I have a question/problem about your solution - array C hasn't been initialized (obviously), so it can hold any "junk" values, so checking 'C[k] < counter' in IsSet(...) (for example when Set(...) or Get(...) are called in the first time) might return true and then checking 'B[C[k]]==k' might rise an 'out of bounds' exception (think of the case that C[k] is -1)...
Do I miss something ?  
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2003, 12:21am by Dudidu » IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 12:47am »

Why not just use a normal array, don't initialize it, and make it the users problem if he retrieves the value from an unset array-cell.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Dudidu

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 1:08am »

on Dec 18th, 2003, 12:47am, towr wrote:
Why not just use a normal array, don't initialize it, and make it the users problem if he retrieves the value from an unset array-cell.
towr hi,
Two answers (I'm not sure that any of them will convince you):
* The obivious one... because this is the question ! (and without it there won't be a question).
* The reasonable one... because we want to give the user a more robust data structure that won't cause the program to crash because of user mistakes, which could have been prevented if the array had been initialized.
IP Logged
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 1:51am »

on Dec 18th, 2003, 12:20am, Dudidu wrote:
Eigenray hi,
I have a question/problem about your solution - array C hasn't been initialized (obviously), so it can hold any "junk" values, so checking 'C[k] < counter' in IsSet(...) (for example when Set(...) or Get(...) are called in the first time) might return true and then checking 'B[C[k]]==k' might rise an 'out of bounds' exception (think of the case that C[k] is -1)...
Do I miss something ?
No, you're right.  I was just leaving all the bounds checking out for simplicity, but I guess they should be included.  Although if you define C to be an uint[], it shouldn't matter.  But as long as (0<=)C[k]<counter, you know B[C[k]] has been initialized, so the only way B[C[k]]=k is if A[k] was the C[k]-th element to be initialized.

on Dec 18th, 2003, 12:47am, towr wrote:
There might be some applications where O(n) space is acceptable, but you want the running time to be o(n).  For example, say you want to represent a set of m elements from {1,2,...,n}.  If you use an array of length n, that allows for O(1) insertion and membership checks.  If m is small, the bottleneck could easily be the O(n) initialization.
IP Logged
Dudidu

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 2:14am »

on Dec 18th, 2003, 1:51am, Eigenray wrote:
I was just leaving all the bounds checking out for simplicity...
Well done, your answer is correct !
Anyway, now I'm thinking whether one can improve the "space consumption" (i.e. better then the suggested(3n+log(n)))?
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2003, 2:15am by Dudidu » IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2003, 5:00am »

on Dec 18th, 2003, 2:14am, Dudidu wrote:

Anyway, now I'm thinking whether one can improve the "space consumption" (i.e. better then the suggested(3n+log(n)))?

I've been thinking about this, and I don't think you can (not using this fundamental method anyways) You must have an array that indexes each i into the numbers 1..k, and you must have a cross-index back to the i's, and you must also have a value for each i that is set. If the entire array is set, then this takes 3n elements.

Also note that two of these arrays (the index into 1..k and the cross-index back) must have elements of size log(n). Therefore, the usage is n + 2nlog(n) + log(n) (technically).
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »