wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - -=[EXAM PRACTISE]=- »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 7:47am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: Icarus, william wu, SMQ, towr, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, Eigenray)
   -=[EXAM PRACTISE]=-
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: -=[EXAM PRACTISE]=-  (Read 955 times)
Rego

Email

-=[EXAM PRACTISE]=-  
« on: Apr 17th, 2004, 4:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi, im studying for my 2nd year degreee graphics course and i came across 2 practise exam questions which i am not able to solve! could you help?

1) Give a formula in terms of dot-product for the shortest distance from the origin to the line y=mx+c

2) Use the notion of a dot-product to explain why the inverse of a rotation matrix is the same as its transpose

thanks!!!
IP Logged
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

Re: -=[EXAM PRACTISE]=-  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 10:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Rego!

I'll try to give you some hints to solve #1. Call 'r' the line given by the equation 'y=mx+c', 'O' the origin, and try the following:

a. There is a shortest distance from O to r; that means there is a point on r which is closer to O than any other.

b. Draw a diagram of a generic line on the cartesian plane and pick what seems to be the point on it closest to O. Draw a line 's' from O to that point.

c. The angle between r and s - what kind of angle does that look like?

d. Prove the general case of your conjecture,  i.e. that the lines r and s, so constructed (r arbitrary, s the smallest distance between O and r), always make that kind of angle.

e. Now you should be able - given any line r with equation 'y=mx+c' - to write an equation for s, and explicitly calculate their intersection, which is the point of least distance. I'm not sure what you mean by dot product, since there are many ways to express the result as a dot product. A possibly 'nice' way is hidden below.

Spoiler:

The answer turns out to be  

|c| / [sqrt](m2+1)

which we might express as

|c| / [sqrt](v [cdot] v) or |c| / |v|

where v is the given line's direction vector, i.e. (m,1). I'm not sure why we should consider this direction vector canonical, though - (1,1/m) is just as nice.
IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Rego

Email

Re: -=[EXAM PRACTISE]=-  
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 11:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

thank you  

its much clearer now  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »