wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - compare secret numbers »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 10:26am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, william wu, Icarus, Eigenray, towr, Grimbal, SMQ)
   compare secret numbers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: compare secret numbers  (Read 1072 times)
cuckoo

compare secret numbers  
« on: Feb 16th, 2009, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Alice and Bob want to know who is older, but they don't want to let the other one know their real age. please propse a scheme.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: compare secret numbers  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17th, 2009, 1:29am »

A trusted third party would sure make it easy.

They could probably find a number that falls in between their ages, but that might still give away quite a bit of information. For example, say they are 30 and 35, and we use a binary search:
50 : both younger
25 : both older
37 : both younger
31 : A is younger, B is older.
But we know much more than which is the older one, A is between 25 and 31, B between 31 and 37. Even if our first guess had been 31, more information would have been disclosed than we'd want.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17th, 2009, 2:49am »

A and B each prepare a tin box containing one lump of sugar for each year of age.  Then they compare the boxes on a 2-pan scale.
IP Logged
cuckoo

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19th, 2009, 12:37am »

Yes, your method is practically good. But if the box is not trustworthy?(for example, somebody secretly put a cmemra in the box).
I think, only if your real age do not pop out from your head, it can be thought as safe.

on Feb 17th, 2009, 2:49am, Grimbal wrote:
A and B each prepare a tin box containing one lump of sugar for each year of age.  Then they compare the boxes on a 2-pan scale.

IP Logged
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19th, 2009, 1:49am »

This is the millionaire's problem.

Here is one method: suppose Alice and Bob want to determine the value of F(a,b), where F is some function on a finite set S x S.  Let E,D be a public-key cryptographic system: D(E(x)) = x; anyone can compute E, but only Bob can compute D.  Let H be a hash.

The idea is: Bob sends F(i,b) for all i, but encoded in such a way that Alice can only decode the value F(a,b).

Alice: Picks a random number x and sends Bob the value X = E(x) - a.
Bob: Sends the sequence Yi = H(D(X+i)) + F(i,b), for each i in S.
Alice: Computes F(a,b) = Ya - H(x)
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2009, 1:52am by Eigenray » IP Logged
cuckoo

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19th, 2009, 2:06am »

handsome! Shocked

on Feb 19th, 2009, 1:49am, Eigenray wrote:

Here is one method: suppose Alice and Bob want to determine the value of F(a,b), where F is some function on a finite set S x S.  Let E,D be a public-key cryptographic system: D(E(x)) = x; anyone can compute E, but only Bob can compute D.  Let H be a hash.

The idea is: Bob sends F(i,b) for all i, but encoded in such a way that Alice can only decode the value F(a,b).

IP Logged
R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 4:38am »

In Public key cryptograph, D(E(x)) = x this condition holds. Is this also true: E(D(x)) = x?  
I mean after generating E and D from RSA algorithm, one can choose anyone of E or D to be his public key and the other one private key.  

Right??
IP Logged

The first experience seems like Magic, but the second tells you the Trick behind it.
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 5:58am »

on Apr 14th, 2009, 4:38am, R wrote:

In Public key cryptograph, D(E(x)) = x this condition holds. Is this also true: E(D(x)) = x?  
I mean after generating E and D from RSA algorithm, one can choose anyone of E or D to be his public key and the other one private key.  

In RSA, yes.  But the actual cryptosystem used doesn't matter, as long as D(E(x))=x and Alice can't compute D (otherwise she could determine Bob's number.)

But there are some cryptosystems that have an element of randomness to the encryption process (e.g., ElGamal, or systems based on solving the word problem for groups).  Then E isn't really a well-defined function, but we can still say D(E(x))=x, even though E(D(x))=x doesn't really make sense.
IP Logged
R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 7:12am »

Ok.
Don't you think your method will be computationally expensive, in-efficient in terms of number of messages sent to Alice, the computation done by Bob?
Here the question is to compare the ages, so there will be around 100 numbers in the sequence of Yi. But if they want to compare some other value (say their bank balance, or some ID) which can be large (say in millions), then there will be million values in the sequence, and Bob will have to do a lot of computation. His steps for each value of i will be:
1. Add X to i
2. Decrypt it with D (very slow process)
3. Calculate the Message Digest using one way Hash function H (Also slow)
4. Add the result of F(i,b) to H(D(X+i))

Step 2 and 3 will make the process slow.
Is there any better solution for this? I am working on it.
IP Logged

The first experience seems like Magic, but the second tells you the Trick behind it.
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 3:33pm »

on Apr 14th, 2009, 7:12am, R wrote:
Ok.
Don't you think your method will be computationally expensive, in-efficient in terms of number of messages sent to Alice, the computation done by Bob?

Yes, I do.  It's essentially Yao's original solution; see the description here.  But there are efficient methods that are linear in the number of bits.
IP Logged
idontknow

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14th, 2009, 10:53pm »

Hey Eigenray, I think the problem with title "Bourne Ultimatum, also is in line with the current problem (though not very similar).

Can you try and tell if you can solve it using Public-key Cryptography
IP Logged
oldspy

« Reply #11 on: May 15th, 2009, 4:25pm »

It says they don't want the other to know the real age, but other info may be OK to give such as older than 20 or younger than 50. If this assumption is right, use binary search will solve it.

1. Set lower = 1 and upper = 250 (no one is that old I guess), and choose any positive number between these two. Ask Alice and Bob if they are older, younger, not older or not younger than it. If their answer can determine who is older, stop.
2. If not, figure out the next trial age:
  1) If they answer either older or "not younger", update lower to this number, and try a number lower and new upper.
  2) If they answers either younger or "not older", set upper to this number, and try a smaller number between lower and the new upper.
3. Continue until their answer can determine who is older.
IP Logged
R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

« Reply #12 on: May 15th, 2009, 10:09pm »

on May 15th, 2009, 4:25pm, oldspy wrote:
It says they don't want the other to know the real age, but other info may be OK to give such as older than 20 or younger than 50. If this assumption is right, use binary search will solve it.

Read towr's reply#1. He has pointed out the problem. Also there are some cases where in binary search they will be able to find out each other's actual ages. Example:
Alice(16) Bob(18.)
start with 1 and 60....
mid = 30 (both younger)
mid = 15 (both elder)
mid = 23 (both younger)
mid = 19 (both younger)
mid = 17 (Alice younger and bob elder)

now Bob knows that Alice's age is >15 and <17 implies it's 16
similarly Alice knows that bob's age is >17 and <19..implies it's 18
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2009, 10:10pm by R » IP Logged

justicezyx

« Reply #13 on: May 20th, 2009, 7:08pm »

how about add a constant to both of their ages?...
IP Logged
R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

« Reply #14 on: May 20th, 2009, 9:40pm »

on May 20th, 2009, 7:08pm, justicezyx wrote:
how about add a constant to both of their ages?...

They still need to have the constant shared, and as long as they both know it, it is useless.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »