wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - ways of selecting k non consecutive items from n »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:34am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: Icarus, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, william wu, Grimbal, towr, Eigenray)
   ways of selecting k non consecutive items from n
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ways of selecting k non consecutive items from n  (Read 1664 times)
tombstone

ways of selecting k non consecutive items from n  
« on: Jan 30th, 2010, 11:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In how many ways can we select k non consecutive items from a list of n items. solution should have a time complexity of O(nk) and space complexity of O(n)! Huh
Having  solution with time complexity of O(nk) is easy. what stumps me is the space constraint.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2010, 12:26am by tombstone » IP Logged
birbal

Re: ways of selecting k non consecutive items from  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 12:03am »

on Jan 30th, 2010, 11:20pm, tombstone wrote:
In how many ways can we select k non consecutive items from a list of n items. solution should have a time complexity of O(nk) and space complexity of O(n)! Huh

Isn't it a combinatorics problem ? or am i understanding it wrong :|
IP Logged

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself!
tombstone

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 12:25am »

The term Non consecutive makes it tricky and therefore  its easier to write a recursion .  Well the combinatorics solution you are talking of will be the closed form of the recursion.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 2:36am »

One way to consider it is that if you pick an item, you also pick the next one. (Except when you pick the last one.)

case 1: you pick the last item, you need the number of rearrangements to have K-1 (consecutive) pairs and N-2K+1 singles, which is C(N-K, K-1)
case 2: you don't pick the last item, you need the number of rearrangements of K pairs and N-2K singles. Which is C(N-K, K)

Taken together this is C(N-K+1, K)  
(Which, incidentally, is what we'd have gotten by just adding an extra element at the back instead of splitting the two cases. Eh, hindsight.)

Time complexity O(N), space O(1).
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2010, 2:38am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
tombstone

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 4:22am »

@towr
I have two doubts,  
1) the complexity of calculating C(n-k+1,k) . Isn't it O(n 2) when you memoize the intermediate results , which also requires O(n2) space. If you don't memoize then wont the cost of calculating nCk increase?

2) Can you elaborate on how both the original question and the idea you mentioned are similar. My intuition isn't good enough to understand this  Embarassed   . and also how you put case one as C(N-K,K-1) ( I guess case 2 can be understood in the same way)

The solution I coded was the recurrence below
  F(n,k) = F(n-2,k-1)+F(n-1,k)  
and I memoized the solutions
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 6:46am »

on Jan 31st, 2010, 4:22am, tombstone wrote:
@towr
I have two doubts,  
1) the complexity of calculating C(n-k+1,k) . Isn't it O(n 2) when you memoize the intermediate results , which also requires O(n2) space. If you don't memoize then wont the cost of calculating nCk increase?
It's three factorials. If you can't calculate a factorial in constant space and linear time you're doing it wrong Wink

fac(n)
{
  f=1;
  for(int i=2; i <= n; i++) f*=i;
  return f;
}

Quote:
2) Can you elaborate on how both the original question and the idea you mentioned are similar. My intuition isn't good enough to understand this  Embarassed   . and also how you put case one as C(N-K,K-1) ( I guess case 2 can be understood in the same way)
I'll try to explain it a bit better.

If you pick an item, you can't pick the next one. So they are both "out of the game" so to speak. Evry choice you make, makes two (consecutive) items unavailable for further choice.
So at the end, there are are 2K elements 'chosen' in pairs, of qwhich the first are the elements in your set, and the second of the pair are the elements that can't be chosen if you wanted to go for a K+1st item.  
Except, of course, when the last item is in our set, because the next after doesnt' exist (although it can therefore not be chosen). But we can imagine there is a next-after-last virtual item to solve this.

So this means, we have chosen K consecutive pairs, from N+1 items. Of each pair, the first is in our set, the second is one that couldn't be chose because the one before it was.
That leaves N+1-2K elements that are unaccounted for, that are intersperced before and after the K pairs.
The number of ways to arrange X and Y elements, is (X+Y)!/(X!*Y!). In our case these are X=N+1-2K single elements, and Y=K consecutive pairs. So that gives (N+1-K)!/((N+1-2K)!*K!), or in shorter notation C(N-K+1,K).

For example, if we have a,b,c,d,e,f and want 2 elements
we can have  
(a,b),(c,d),e,f,*
(a,b),c,(d,e),f,*
(a,b),c,d,(e,f),*
(a,b),c,d,e,(f,*)
a,(b,c),(d,e),f,*
a,(b,c),d,(e,f),*
a,(b,c),d,e,(f,*)
a,b,(c,d),(e,f),*
a,b,(c,d),e,(f,*)
a,b,c,(d,e),(f,*)

(6-2+1)!/((6-4+1)!*2!) = 5!/(3!*2!) = 10

(bold are the chosen elements, the ones stricken through are the unchoosable ones, and * is the fictitious N+1st element to complete the last pair.)
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2010, 7:14am by towr » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 7:17am »

on Jan 31st, 2010, 4:22am, tombstone wrote:
The solution I coded was the recurrence below
       F(n,k) = F(n-2,k-1)+F(n-1,k)  
and I memoized the solutions
A better way is to use dynamic programming, and use the fact you only need to keep two columns ( F(n-2, :) and F(n-1, :) ) to calculate the next one.
So that 3 columns of k elements in memory at a time, or O(k) memory.
IP Logged

tombstone

« Reply #7 on: Jan 31st, 2010, 8:43am »

@towr
you made it very very clear . Smiley  

Quote:
A better way is to use dynamic programming, and use the fact you only need to keep two columns ( F(n-2, Smiley and F(n-1, Smiley ) to calculate the next one.
So that 3 columns of k elements in memory at a time, or O(k) memory.

I actually did a dp but I didn't realize the fact that I need only two columns!  So this solves the original problem too! (fits the given (rather required Smiley ) constraints )    

thanks a lot
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »