wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - design the twitter architecture »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 9:01am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: william wu, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, Grimbal, towr, SMQ)
   design the twitter architecture
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: design the twitter architecture  (Read 2941 times)
spur

design the twitter architecture  
« on: May 23rd, 2012, 12:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When an interviewer asks you to design the twitter what does he expect to get out of the candidate?
The question was how would you show the latest 5 tweets of people whom he follows? Take care of the scalability of the problem.
IP Logged
spur

Re: design the twitter architecture  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 12:44pm »

Hey, did i put the question in the wrong thread?

Ok let me explain what solution i gave for the question
The aim is to show latest 5 tweets
i would use two logic one for people whom i am subscribed who have large number of subscribers(famous tweeters) and other for others who are like friends who do not have many subscribers(non-famous).  
For non-famous use listener observer algorithm and update each subscribers stack.
For each famous user have a stack for his tweets.
While rendering the latest tweets use the user's stack and all stacks of the famous people and get the latest 5 tweets from all of them.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: design the twitter architecture  
« Reply #2 on: Jun 9th, 2012, 4:53am »

on Jun 8th, 2012, 12:44pm, spur wrote:
Hey, did i put the question in the wrong thread?
No, it's in the right place. But I guess few people have a good idea to share. I don't really know enough about how to optimize performance in such large scale systems.
Separating the popular tweeters into a separate group sounds like good idea, since those tweets will be requested often, but that doesn't go far to answering the question I think. Because how do you efficiently find the 5 most recent posts among dozens of tweeters whose data may be spread across dozens of servers. It would seem a waste to get the last 5 tweets of each of them, sort those and return the 5 latest overall.
Both time-efficient and bandwidth is a concern here; as well as how to organize the data in the first place.

And you can't really give a really good answer without some idea of the statistics of the problem; what's the distribution of the number of people someone follows, how many request do they make, etc.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »