wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - to make 2 circles on 2 different planes intersect »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:28pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: Icarus, SMQ, towr, william wu, Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder)
   to make 2 circles on 2 different planes intersect
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: to make 2 circles on 2 different planes intersect  (Read 1744 times)
sarojini

Email

to make 2 circles on 2 different planes intersect  
« on: Aug 6th, 2014, 4:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,

If I've two circles on two different planes in 3D space, given centers, radii of circles and two plane equations. The two planes are perpendicular to xy plane.  
1. How to check if two circles intersect or not
2. If they are not intersecting how to make them intersect  by adjusting the radii and the plane angle theta(angle of plane with y axis clockwise direction).

Please let me know if my question is not clear.  

Regards,
Sarojini.
IP Logged
singhar

Re: to make 2 circles on 2 different planes inters  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20th, 2014, 11:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If I understand the problem correctly, you can solve this by taking the projections of the circles on the x-y plane. The projections will be two simple line segments of length equal to the diameter of the circles, the mid-point of which will correspond to the projection of the centers.  

The planes containing the circles will be projected as lines on x-y plane. These lines need to intersect, otherwise the circles will never intersect.  

Find the intersection of the planes on x-y plane. The distance from the projected center to the point of intersection of the planes is one part of the displacement one has to do to get the circles intersect.

The second part can be done by similar projection on to one of the planes containing a circle. The projection will be an ellipse. The distance from the end of the diameter of one circle to the corresponding end of the minor axis of the ellipse (as a result of projecting a circle) is the second distance you have to slide the circle.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »