wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Sorting Geometrically-distributed values »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:47pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, towr, Eigenray)
   Sorting Geometrically-distributed values
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sorting Geometrically-distributed values  (Read 552 times)
KWillets

Sorting Geometrically-distributed values  
« on: Oct 28th, 2014, 11:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello, it's been a while since I've posted here, but this question seems like it belongs here.

I need to sort integers with a geometric distribution (eg P(1)=.5, P(2)=.25, .125...), but I'm having trouble finding references on the problem.  

It seems like o(n).  I tried something like Quicksort where it splits between == min and > min, and recurses on the >min part.  I'm experimenting with doing one pass and resetting the min as lower values are encountered.  

The recurrence is something like C(n)=P*n + C((1-P)n), i.e. fairly easy to get o(n).

It seems like a simple algo, but I can't find any mention of it.  The only examples I've found are Groupsort and some kind of counting sort where the highest bin is all the remaining values; these seem needlessly complicated and data-dependent.  

Has anybody seen this problem?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Sorting Geometrically-distributed values  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28th, 2014, 2:11pm »

I haven't seen the problem before. But I agree that it seems solvable in O(n); for P=1/2 a very skewed binary tree comes to mind. For smaller P there's probably smarter choices, but it doesn't seem to get worse than O(n/P).
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
KWillets

Re: Sorting Geometrically-distributed values  
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28th, 2014, 3:32pm »

It's funny, because I've since found benchmarks of quicksort on various distributions (I searched for "exponential distribution" instead of geometric) and found linear times, but no discussion of it.  

Quicksort works for this if it happens to pick the median equal to the minimum; that's how I found this before trying an explicit min.  However 2-way quicksort can run into problems in one direction, eg splitting < and >=, since it will fail to split out the min in that case.  Ternary will work with pivot = either min or max.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »