wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Easy: Willywutang & burning island »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:56am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, william wu, towr, Eigenray, Icarus)
   Easy: Willywutang & burning island
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Easy: Willywutang & burning island  (Read 180768 times)
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Re: Easy: Willywutang & burning island  
« Reply #75 on: Oct 12th, 2004, 6:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That sounds more like the "good way to burn to death" answer to me. From the statement of the riddle, I get the idea that the trees are burning, so climbing up in one sounds like a good way to get caught up in the fire, rather than escape it.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
soma dhavala

Email

« Reply #76 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 1:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Wutang does need to do nothing. He is at point A, fire is spreading from A->B and wind speed is 2mph. If Wutang stays 0.1 inch behind point A, he doesnt have to care, fire anyway drft towards B, Grin
-soma
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #77 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 10:49am »

on Oct 16th, 2004, 1:23am, soma dhavala wrote:
Wutang does need to do nothing. He is at point A, fire is spreading from A->B and wind speed is 2mph. If Wutang stays 0.1 inch behind point A, he doesnt have to care, fire anyway drft towards B, Grin
-soma

If he's at point A, then he's got serious problems because he's standing in the fire...
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #78 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 7:21pm »

Yes, but Mr. Wutang, young executive extrordinaire, learned how to do firewalking while he was at a leadership seminar on the British Virgin Islands (which is also where he met April Underwood). His firewalking skills are so advanced that he can not only walk on burning hot coals, but can also lie down in the coals and roll around like a VooDoo witch doctor. With these skills, Mr. Wutang is one of only seven people in the world (the other men and women are actually high-level VooDoo witch doctors) who are capable of withstanding the intense heat produced by island forest fires. Through a routine of bio-feedback, and deep meditation, he prevents the heat, flames and smoke from causing him any harm.  

Not only does he not need to do anything (except the VooDoo that he do so well), he can actually walk from point A to point B (and back) with complete  impunity.   Wink
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #79 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 3:18am »

on Oct 16th, 2004, 10:49am, rmsgrey wrote:
If he's at point A, then he's got serious problems because he's standing in the fire...

He is in big trouble because in this case he obviously is the arsonist and is likely to be fined for such an act.  If he survives.
IP Logged
Three Hands
Uberpuzzler

Reucserru+Oymai

« Reply #80 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 5:37am »

I would have thought he was about to run into problems as to what to eat after the fire dies down, taking out the fruit trees that had been sustaining him thus far. Unless, of course, a naval officer happens to see the fire while cruising past, and so comes to pick him up Roll Eyes
IP Logged
DuCkI3 Diethel

Email

« Reply #81 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 6:14pm »

I was thinking that maybe willywutang is a bird...I don't know many birds that can swim, or need helicopters or other flying devies to fly... Wink Grin
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #82 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 7:59pm »

Odd - I know of lots birds that can swim, and lots that do need mechanical assistance to fly. One example for both: Penguins!
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Maximus Arden

Email

« Reply #83 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 10:01pm »

LMAO, i must admit it puzzled me at first... but looking at it you might notice a few things... First it never said WillyWu is there WHILE the fire is going... though it implies it it's not a stated fact...

Quote:
Willywutang is hanging out on a heavily forested island that's really narrow:
End Quote:

Willy is hanging out on a narrow island... ok?
No one ever said he didn't show up AFTER the fire...

Quote 2:

it's a narrow strip of land that's ten miles long. let's label one end of the strip A, and the other end B. a fire has started at A, and the fire is moving toward B at the rate of 1 mph. at the same time, there's a 2 mph wind blowing in the direction from A toward B.

End Quote 2:

This just states what the island is like... Who's to say he didn't show up AFTER the fire... Think about it in movie form... A fire swept the island, Willy showed up, and he's looking at the burnt island...

Now if you wanna get technical and say, Well it says a Heavily Forested area...  

It grew back... It burned the island, trees grew back, willy arrived... truly Part 2/ Quote 2 has absolutely no relivance but to described the island Willy is on... The fire has no relivance to Willy, for willy wasn't at the island the time of the fire...  

Willy wasn't at the island the time of the fire...

Answer 2:

Simply put Willy started the fire from point A
IP Logged
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #84 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 6:22am »

Willy is on the island. A fire starts on the island.

Sure, you could assume that he was on the island and the fire started a year or two after he left, but I think the intention is that he was on the island while the fire started.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #85 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 7:14am »

Is the water around the island frozen?  Smiley

Anyway, I think the "start another fire" is the intended solution.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #86 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 4:41pm »

Sure, Grimbel, the intended solution. Well, we all know where good intentions lead. (don't we?)  

To paraphrase, "The road to heck is paved with good intentions."  
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
coolnfundu

« Reply #87 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 11:55pm »

Ok this may have been suggested before ...

How about going to the nearest shore and then walk around to the less dense area of trees and then wait for fire to come to you, enter the sea take dips (it helps if you can hold your breath), and wait for the fire to die down near your shore ... it is the same as say walking around the fire.  He would surely not be burnt to death then ... And I dont think it needs Einstenian brain to do either ...

How about using sand and water both to cut off an area or if he can do so then possibly cut enough trees to get a secluded area near the beach?
IP Logged

:: Cool Obvious is always wrong Cry ::
melissa garrido

Email

« Reply #88 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 7:18pm »

I THINK HE SHOULD JUST THROW HIMSELF INTO THE WATER AND DROWN. THAT WAY, HE DOESN'T BURN TO DEATH. IT DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT NOT KILLING WILLYWUTANG. HE HAS AN UGLY NAME ANYWAYS.
IP Logged
Carrie Ann

Email

« Reply #89 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 2:06pm »

Everyone keeps saying that he can just build a second fire and stand in its ashes....however, the fire doesnt start and then just move...it spreads.....what makes people think that the fire will go out so that he can step there?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #90 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 3:04pm »

The fire goes where the wind blows. It does spread, but only in one direction.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
ole88

Email

« Reply #91 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 6:18am »

If you read closely, you will see that there is a 2 MPH wind blowing from A toward B.  This would actually keep the fire burning in it's current direction.  Willywutang can walk over to the fire and light a branch (make a torch basically) and carry it back a couple of miles.  He can then light another fire and let it burn.  By the time the first fire gets to him, he will be able to step into the ashen area from the fire he lit and be safe as it will have burned a couple of miles away by that time.
IP Logged
Lewis Temple

Email

« Reply #92 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 3:51am »

I think you are missing the obvious answer!

Pee Willy Pee!
IP Logged
Sjoerd Job Postmus

Email

« Reply #93 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 8:04am »

on Oct 28th, 2003, 12:09am, towr wrote:

I think that depends on several things, mainly the distance between the fires, the force of the wind and the intensity of the fire. But it's a good point.
If the updraft from the original fire is big enough to affect the direction Willy can probably feel it. So he'll probably be able to decide where to set the fire to avoid getting caught between two fires..

This gave me an idea:

If Willy actually sets the fire at a place where the draft does exist, and stays on the other side of it:

*****_*_W_
The new fire will actually go towards the previous one, as explained above
..****.._W_
And Willy is safe... Wait: We still have 3miles of forest! Hopefully some food too!

'..' implies burned down forest,
* is a mile wide fire
_ is still forest
W is Willy!

But, if the draft does not actually work... He's troubled anyway. He could, however, start the second fire, gather plenty of food for a year ( as a reserve ), and take it with him on the burned down side of the isle, while waiting on the first fire to stop. If he saves enough, he can even plant some new stuff, for the following years.

Now, if the fire would go both ways, he's in big trouble. I will assume the narrow island will imply he can't walk around the fire and stuff.

-SJ
IP Logged
jd

Email

« Reply #94 on: Mar 21st, 2005, 8:50pm »

ap is right because of the direction of the wind the fire wont burn towards him itll burn away from him
IP Logged
skull

Email

island of dumbass  
« Reply #95 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 10:45pm »

wow this has got to be the worst puzzle out of them all. I wonder how you feel now that you are clever and all
IP Logged
AmEvil

Email

« Reply #96 on: Apr 30th, 2005, 11:02pm »

ppl silly willy can perform the Rain Dance

Grin

its sometimes easy to getaway with a puzzle givin silly reasons.... guys then i can claim willy is a Ghost  Tongue  

-Am
IP Logged
morgan m

Email

« Reply #97 on: May 24th, 2005, 6:17pm »

willywu can just take the water and put the fir out i mean come on how hard is it  :P
IP Logged
link talis

Email

« Reply #98 on: Jun 2nd, 2005, 4:14pm »

All you suckers who keep saying "make a second fire a few miles aways" (which is the obvious answer), how many forest fires do you know of that burn down that quickly, in <10 hours (much less in a day)!  It's like a quicker way to die.  Moderator, make sure that the puzzle includes something like:

"...and a tree burns completely after about 2 hours" or something (to leave ashes), or use "weed : ) or brush or something else that burns fast.
IP Logged
mcbill

« Reply #99 on: Jul 4th, 2005, 3:52pm »

Reminds me of a riddle I read a couple years ago. I hope this isn't already on the site, I haven't had the time to check it all out.  If it is I apologize and will try to make this as short as possible.  
A man is stranded on an island, far from shore and surrounded by deep water.  He cannot swim.  Luckily he finds shelter and he can forage for food to sustain himself.  There is nothing on the island that he could use to build any sort of device to help him, yet he does escape the island alive and unharmed, without help from anything or anyone. And to me the kicker was  the last clue to the riddle--- he knew he was going to be able to get off the island and return safely home!  
My point to all this is that there may be more than one answer to some riddles.  The precise wording  of a riddle is critical.  Often the wording used guides the reader to subtle asumptions that aren't necessarily true and craftily guide the thought process down the garden path.
Finally if the answer to this riddle is the same as this Williewutang dealie,  all the info about the fire and windspeed etc... is superfluous.  The wording of this riddle doesn't rule out the same answer to my riddle. By the way the answer to my riddle is already posted earlier, but was pretty much ignored!  
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »