wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Logical Signs II »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 10:01am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: william wu, Eigenray, Grimbal, SMQ, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, towr)
   Logical Signs II
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Logical Signs II  (Read 2144 times)
potter

Logical Signs II  
« on: Jul 29th, 2002, 3:03am »

This one seems simpler than logical sign I. There are 6 possible cases of True and False for the three chests. 4 of them are contradictory as in each one of them point to more than one chest as containing the treasure. The rest 2 cases both point towards the BRONZE one. so the treasure lies in the BRONZE chest.  

These 2 cases are: Silver - false                    false
                            Gold  - true                true or false
                            Bronze- true or false          true
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2002, 3:04am by potter » IP Logged
jc

Email

Re: Logical Signs II  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:23pm »

Well, I got the same answer, only I found only one of the six possible answers pointing to bronze.

The six were:

1: S - True, G - False, B - False

Which wouldn't work because G and B both being false mean that the treasure is in G, and yet S is also true. Since the treasure is only in one, this possibility becomes impossible.

2: S - True, G - True, B - False

Which wouldn't work because G and B contradict each other.

3: S - True, G - False, B - True

4: S - False, G - True, B - False

5: S - False, G - False, B - True

6: S - False, G - True, B - True

Which is the only solution that works out, and it points to B, since S being false means the treasure isn't in S and G and B being true means that it's not in G.

So, 4 contradictions, one case of the treasure being in 2 chests, and one solution that works. Tongue

I admit this was an awfully methodical way to do it, and you could shorten it by quite a bit by assuming that S must be false in the "true" solution because you can infer that all three possibilities with S being true must be ruled out without actually listing them. Still, it worked.

IP Logged
Melkor

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 5th, 2002, 9:06pm »

There is an easier approach: begin by assuming that the silver chest holds the treasure. Then check the resultant veracity of the chests' labels against the known information - i.e., that at least one chest's label is true and at least on is false. Thus the silver chest cannot contain the treasure since then all three statements would be true. Continue with the other chests until you find an assumption that fits the given information.
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 8th, 2002, 7:50pm »

Usually, the best way to solve a logic problem is by examining the cases and using them to evaluate the statements. Not only is it often easier, but you can more easily avoid the mistake of assuming a statement has to be true or false. It can also be a contradiction (true if it is false, and false if it is true) or indeterminate (true only if it is true, and false only if it is false). This problem does not have that situation, but it is very big in Logical Signs I.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »