wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Poison Drinks »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 2:38pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, towr, Icarus, SMQ, Eigenray, william wu)
   Poison Drinks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Poison Drinks  (Read 15121 times)
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

Poison Drinks  
« on: Aug 18th, 2002, 10:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So, a rich old man has died. After his death, his children are surprised to learn that he has left all of his money to his oldest son Jeremiah, who loved him dearly, and ignored his other children, who hated him.

So, the funeral is a day or two later, and the other sons and daughters have decided to kill Jeremiah and take his inheritance. Since his father's death, Jeremiah has taken to drinking, and they know that, at the wake, he's going to be gulping down the liquor like it was nectar of the gods. So they decide to poison the drinks. One of the other sons, Wallace, tends bar, and gets the poison all ready.

So Jeremiah comes up, crying and depressed, and orders a scotch on the rocks. Wallace serves him one, and he chugs it down in two seconds. "Give me another." Wallace gives him a second glass of scotch, which he also drinks in a matter of moments. The other siblings are puzzled...the poison is fast-acting; Jeremiah should be convulsing on the floor and retching his guts out. Finally, fifteen minutes later, a rather inebriated and very much alive Jeremiah orders one last glass of scotch, but as Wallace hands it to him, he changes his mind and leaves, sobbing. The other siblings come over to Wallace, and wonder what's going on. They talk about what could have gone wrong for a few minutes, and figure the poison's harmless. So Wallace sips the drink he poured for Jeremiah, and is pronounced DOA thirty minutes later.

Why did Jeremiah live? (He had no immunity to the poison, he didn't know it was coming, the poison was obviously deadly.)

Sorry for such a long puzzle...I just wanted some plot to it Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2003, 6:43pm by Icarus » IP Logged
KT

Email

Re: NEW PUZZLE - Poison Drinks  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17th, 2002, 1:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

HE WAS ALREADY PICKLED? Huh WE NEED SOME DICUSSION ON THIS.  I AM JUST 'DYING' TO HAVE A HINT!
IP Logged
stiwi

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17th, 2002, 11:35am »

hmmz....

seems to be drinking FAST can be healthy!!??

regards

stiwi
IP Logged
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17th, 2002, 3:49pm »

Shee-yahh...I didn't think there was any interest in this puzzle, since no one answered for a long time after I put it up...

But, anyways. Hint. The drinking fast thing is important...now find out why. It might help to remember your bar drink terminology. Smiley

Incidentally, this is a rather old puzzle. I just stole the basic premise, added some plot, and posted it. Cheesy
IP Logged
Fonducci

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 12:00am »

The poison was in the ice, which explains why it was ineffective when the drink was downed quickly.  Giving time for the ice to melt was the key to activating the poison.
IP Logged
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 9:50am »

ahhhhhhh!  Grin
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Chronos

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 1:49pm »

On the other hand:  Doesn't Wallace know exactly how he poisoned the drinks?  Given that, shouldn't he be able to figure it out pretty quickly, before he goes and drinks a watered- (and poisoned-) down drink?
IP Logged
shiv

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19th, 2002, 10:15am »

the poison could have been in the ice...
when he gulped, he left out the ice in his glass.

After 15 mins, all ice melted and poor wallace had to drink the poisoned drink... and convulse and die... pity!
IP Logged
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 19th, 2002, 12:24pm »

on Sep 18th, 2002, 1:49pm, Chronos wrote:
On the other hand:  Doesn't Wallace know exactly how he poisoned the drinks?  Given that, shouldn't he be able to figure it out pretty quickly, before he goes and drinks a watered- (and poisoned-) down drink?

We can assume that Wallace isn't exactly the sharpest crayon in the box Cheesy
IP Logged
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21st, 2002, 8:28am »

My solution was different! I thought that maybe Wallace had indeed poisoned the scotch, but didn't know the poison was more dense than, and not soluble in, whiskey - and would therefore sink to the bottom. The way I read the puzzle, I understood that Jeremiah turned down the last glass of scotch, after drinking many - so presumably that was just about the last remaining liquid in the bottle, and hence poison. (Yes, people can drink a lot when they're sad)

This way at least we don't have to assume Wallace is THAT dim-witted. Smiley
IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 22nd, 2002, 3:23pm »

I think I like Pietro's answer better Smiley
IP Logged
Olclops

Email

Alternate Solution  
« Reply #11 on: Sep 24th, 2002, 11:57am »

Cool Or, we could use the Andromeda Strain solution, and say that the poison is only active within a certain (standard) blood pH range. Therefore, Jeremiah is saved by his crying - his shallow breathing temporarily alters his blood pH out of the standard range and saves his life long enough for the poison to pass through his system.

There's a nice irony there, but it's a borrowed solution.
IP Logged
Nyarly

Prisoner solution  
« Reply #12 on: Sep 25th, 2002, 12:15pm »

Also possible:  Jeremiah leaves suddenly because, after downing several scotches quickly, they're all coming back up, before the poison can be absorbed in his bloodstream.
IP Logged
Spongebob

« Reply #13 on: Nov 8th, 2002, 1:55pm »

I think the ans is they didn't wait long enough.

Jeremiah did die. He died 15 min after he left the bar, or 30 min after his first drink. Wallace also died 30 min after taking a drink.

The so called "correct" ans that the poison is in the ice is illogical.  

What ya think of that? Huh? How you like me now biatch!

Wink
IP Logged
stud9920

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29th, 2003, 2:48am »

It's so obvious. The poison is just not as fast as expected. Jeremiah gets enough glasses to puke his guts, therefore lives. 15 min to get drunk, five to puke, leaves ten minutes. No poison in stomach.  

Wallace otoh oly drinks one glass, not enough to puke.
IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #15 on: Jul 29th, 2003, 7:29am »

on Jul 29th, 2003, 2:48am, stud9920 wrote:
The poison is just not as fast as expected.

Of course, once we start questioning the premises, there are many possible explanations. It is clearly stated that "the poison is fast-acting", not that the siblings expect the poison to be fast-acting.

I like creative answers like Pietro's, for example, but you overdid it, imho. (Which is not to say I don't go over the top myself at times Cheesy)
IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
Gerd

« Reply #16 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 11:12am »

Also possible, he at random ate the right substance before drinking the poison, that thereby was neutralized.

Or (like in the case of Rasputin) the poison was something like potassic-cyanide (KCN) that together with the hydrochloric acid (HCl) (in stomach) makes hydrogen chloride (HCN). And Jeremiah wouldn't be affected by the poison, if he hadn't enough gastric acid. Smiley
IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #17 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 12:45pm »

on Jul 30th, 2003, 11:12am, Gerd wrote:
like potassic-cyanide (KCN) that together with the hydrochloric acid (HCl) (in stomach) makes hydrogen chloride (HCN)

I'm sure you just mixed up the words, but it's either hydrogen chloride (HCl) or hydrogen cyanide (HCN). Just trying to avoid the casual reader from being befuddled... No, actually I'm trying to increase confusion!
IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #18 on: Jul 30th, 2003, 2:37pm »

I'm pretty sure the CN- is poisenous in and off itself, the proton in HCN doesn't change that, it just gets split off anyway (it's an acid after all)..
So KCN or NaCN or HCN would al be poisenous to the same extend, I think.. (Except that HCN is gaseous in the oiutside environment, unlike the other two, but once ingested they're all aqueous)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Gerd

« Reply #19 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 1:32am »

@wowbagger: of course you are right. Thank you! Smiley I translated word by word (with the help of a dictionary), and there I made a mistake. Sorry!

@towr: and of course you are right too. Smiley Most foods are more acescent than KCN and therefore immediately react, so that the HCN is deflagrated (?) soon with no effect.
KCN also has a soapy taste and smells like HCN.
I'm sorry, but I only tried to bring in some new aspects to the riddle.

Wish you a nice day! Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2003, 1:36am by Gerd » IP Logged
nobody

Email

Re: Poison Drinks  
« Reply #20 on: May 21st, 2005, 2:05pm »

Maybe this question could be made clearer by having someone other than Wallace (one of the other siblings, that is) drink the poisoned drink. Then the poison can be in the ice and Wallace is not a complete doofus.  Tongue
IP Logged
paul schmitz

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jul 6th, 2005, 10:55pm »

i dont know the specifics of the Rasputin poison, but perhaps since there is already HCl in the stomach, the HCN will not dissociate because of the high H+ count already present.  I assume Cl is more electronegative than CN and all that jazz.  

anyway, my solution was originally that the poison is not totally soluble and it sank to the bottom, like Italian dressing.  Gah, I can't think of a better solution.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #22 on: Jul 7th, 2005, 1:41am »

on Jul 6th, 2005, 10:55pm, paul schmitz wrote:
i dont know the specifics of the Rasputin poison, but perhaps since there is already HCl in the stomach, the HCN will not dissociate because of the high H+ count already present.  I assume Cl is more electronegative than CN and all that jazz.
They're exactly equally negative; Cl- and CN-. Not that that matters much at all.
They're also both very well soluble, there can't possibly be enough HCl in the stomach to prevent HCN from solving. I think HCN might even be more soluble than HCl.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2005, 1:41am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
truemuffinman

I am Ze Muffinman. PH34R

314695422 314695422   retthill   rabbspider
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 9:46am »

When you cry, your body heats up. If Jeremiah had just experienced the trauma of someone dying, then he would be crying A LOT. Maybe the poison wasn't heat-proof and therefore burned up inside his stomache, but not in the other guy's because he wasn't sad?
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2006, 9:46am by truemuffinman » IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #24 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 4:00am »

on Aug 22nd, 2006, 9:46am, truemuffinman wrote:
When you cry, your body heats up. If Jeremiah had just experienced the trauma of someone dying, then he would be crying A LOT. Maybe the poison wasn't heat-proof and therefore burned up inside his stomache, but not in the other guy's because he wasn't sad?

So Jeremiah ends up well cooked?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »