wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - A bird and a vase »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:53pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: towr, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, SMQ, Icarus, william wu, Grimbal)
   A bird and a vase
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A bird and a vase  (Read 3592 times)
Kozo Morimoto

Email

A bird and a vase  
« on: Oct 8th, 2002, 4:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There is a vase half filled with water.  The bird would like to drink the water in the vase, however, the neck of the vase is too narrow for it to fit its head.  The bird's beak is too short for it to reach the water.  If the vase is tipped over, the water will spill out and will be soaked up by the soild/sand/ground.  Obviously, the bird can not use a straw.

How can the bird drink the water in the vase?
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2003, 9:26pm by Icarus » IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

Re: New Riddle: A bird and a vase  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8th, 2002, 9:35am »

Pick up small stones and drop them into the vase?
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Jeremiah Smith

Beep!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 8th, 2002, 3:01pm »

Wait a very long time until environmental pressures on the bird (i.e., not being able to drink) cause it to evolve a beak suitable for drinking from vases.

(I'm aware of the fact that evolution is for populations over time, not individuals, and that it for just one bird, it would technically be a mutation.)
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2002, 3:04pm by Jeremiah Smith » IP Logged
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27th, 2002, 3:04pm »

Go dumpster diving for plastic wrapping or other sheet-like material that doesn't absorb water. Lay the sheets on the ground near the vase, then kick the vase over and drink off the sheets.
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Tarazik

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29th, 2002, 1:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How about tip it over onto himself.  His head, obviously wider than the neck of the vase will keep the water from pouring out and he can drink the water really fast.

Otherwise, he could throw stones (I'm not totally sure on how birds would throw...maybe get his other woodland creature friends to help out) at the vase until the neck broke off and his beak could reach.

He could just fly off to a bird bath of course.....
IP Logged
jon_G

« Reply #5 on: Dec 3rd, 2002, 6:16pm »

I would prefer to wait for it to rain and when the water level has risen the bird can drink from the vase, rather than wait for the bird to evolve or mutate. That might take hundreds of thousands of years. By then the polar caps would have melted and the earth would be flooded allowing the bird and all his woodland creatures (which drowned many thousnads of years ago) to drink all the water they want. But the question now is where can a bird get a bite to eat since all the humans have flew off in there space ships and all the Mcdonald's are flooded, delapadated and only serve curtisy cups of water. Wink
IP Logged

Why climb the corporate latter, when you can own it.
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 5:58pm »

Does this really qualify as a "New Riddle"?  This situation is exactly from the Aesop's fable, "The Crow and the Pitcher", which dates from around 600 B.C.  Smiley  In the fable the crow dropped in pebbles as others have suggested.  Aesop's moral for this story:  "Necessity is the mother of invention".
IP Logged
i_m_n_idiot

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 4th, 2003, 10:11pm »

drop pebbles in the vase n when the water level rises it can drink Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »