wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Re: The Pepsi Challenge »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:55am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: SMQ, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, towr, william wu, Icarus)
   Re: The Pepsi Challenge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: The Pepsi Challenge  (Read 1085 times)
prince

« on: Jan 29th, 2003, 10:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A thought I had involves the description of drinks poured over ice and filled to 1 mm of the rim, then the time elapsed.  I think Pepsi and Diet Pepsi "fizz" differently--Diet Pepsi would give a bigger head of foam, and thus have a lower level after time allows it to settle.  (I may be remembering wrong, and perhaps Pepsi gives more foam.)

The trouble is, the riddle asks who knew the drinks were switched.  If the above is correct, and only one of the two knew, presumably this would be Al.  After all, they are so competeitive that they want the most soda, and anyone with the above knowledge would order the drink which foams less, and gives more soda.
IP Logged
Chronos

WWW Email

« Reply #1 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 10:32am »

Another answer:  Regular Pepsi is slightly denser than Diet Pepsi.  If there's still any ice in the glasses, then it'll be floating higher in the sugary drink.  This doesn't help, though, after the ice has melted, because assuming that Pepsi and water mix with no change in volume, the fluid level in both glasses will be the same after melting as before, which is to say 1 mm from the top.

Another possibility:  If one and only one of the men knew they were switched, then perhaps he was the one who switched them in the first place.
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 10:37am »

Not sure about this, but I think I heard once that Pepsi in more condensed than diet Pepsi (the density of the Pepsi is increased by the dissolved sugar, which occupies space between the water molecules).

So, as the ice melts, it would blend in the diet Pepsi better than with the Pepsi.  

I think the regular Pepsi would spill fist, letting Al know it’s his
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29th, 2003, 12:16pm »

Chronos,

I think you've got it there! The sugary drink is denser, so when it is filled up to 1 mm below the rim, there is more ice sticking out of it than there is ice sticking out of the diet drink. If the ice were to completely melt, then the sugary drink glass would be more full than the diet drink glass.  

In fact, the sugary drink may overflow, considering it is already only 1 mm from the top. What would happen there is that the volume the ice displaces before it melts is equal to the mass of the ice divided by the specific gravity of the drink. The volume that the ice displaces after it melts is zero, but if we consider it to be in a layer at the top of the glass, then it takes up a volume equal to the mass of the ice divided by the specific gravity of water.

Because the specific gravity of diet drinks is very near the specific gravity of water, the diet drink will still be filled up 1mm from the top. However, the sugary drink will now be filled up more. In effect, the person who ordered the sugary drink actually did get more Pepsi!

But Coke's better anyways...
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »