wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Problem with Glass Half Full... »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 8:57pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: william wu, Icarus, SMQ, Grimbal, towr, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder)
   Problem with Glass Half Full...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Problem with Glass Half Full...  (Read 1101 times)

Email

Problem with Glass Half Full...  
« on: Feb 12th, 2003, 9:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well, Forgive the brevity of this post, but my first attempt was destroyed and now I don't have a lot of time.

The problem with both solutions discussed in thread http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=riddles_eas y;action=display;num=1043895929;start=2  is that they assume that the surface of the water is flat.  It is not flat because of the meniscus.  Defined by dictionary.com as "The curved upper surface of a nonturbulent liquid in a container that is concave if the liquid wets the container walls and convex if it does not."

Does anyone have a solution that works considering the meniscus?
IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

Re: Problem with Glass Half Full...  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2003, 12:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is what we in aerospace like to call a "higher order effect".  We have a very handy way of dealing with terms that are too small, too complicated, or we just don't understand: We ignore them.  I think I can safely say that as far as the problem is concerned, the meniscus falls into this category, actually all three.  (OK, maybe not the last, but darned if I know the equations to find the curvature of the liquid.)  Think of this next time you take an airline flight.
IP Logged

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2003, 4:00pm »

Yes, it is a higher order effect - but I was struck by the italicized 'accurately' in the riddle as well as the fact that the author of the site called the solution 'sexy.'  

Although it is not stated, I also _assume_ that the author means right _circular_ cylinder. There are many 'right cylinders' that would make this problem more challenging.

Anyhoo, I figure you prolly just reeled me in from hyper-anal-rententive world. So, thanks.
IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2003, 4:36pm »

Hey, someone else is being hyper-anal-rententive?  I have a habit for that, and for concentrating on the fifth decimal point when there is a problem with the order of magnitude itself, so I relate.   Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »