wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - How Old Is Pastor Ulrik? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 5:12pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: william wu, SMQ, Eigenray, Grimbal, towr, ThudnBlunder, Icarus)
   How Old Is Pastor Ulrik?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How Old Is Pastor Ulrik?  (Read 1067 times)
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

How Old Is Pastor Ulrik?  
« on: Feb 28th, 2003, 2:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's a riddle related to Daughters' Ages:

Jensen was in the local pub to sample the atmosphere, when he overheard the bartender and the local school teacher talking.
The bartender said "Pastor Ulrik will be visited by three women this weekend. Can you work out how old they are, if you know that their ages multiplied together is 2450, and that together they are as old as you are..."
"No, I can't" said the teacher after deep consideration (and a pilsner).
"Of course you can't - but, if I tell you that the oldest woman is older than pastor Ulrik you should be able to work it out..."
At this point Jensen thought "I can work that out", but when he came up to the bar he found out that it was not as easy as he thought. The problem wasn't how old the women were, but how old Pastor Ulrik was...
IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
BNC
Uberpuzzler

Re: How Old Is Pastor Ulrik?  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2003, 11:51am »

Let me give Jensen a hint: Pastor Ulrik is 49 years old. He should be able to tell how old the women are.
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28th, 2003, 12:00pm »

Correct.
IP Logged

prince

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28th, 2003, 12:03pm »

Pastor Ulrik is 15 years younger than the schoolteacher.
IP Logged
prince

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28th, 2003, 12:06pm »

Aargh! BNC, you posted while I worked it out!  Guess I need to be quicker.
IP Logged
udippel

« Reply #5 on: Mar 1st, 2003, 9:52am »

Is there any thread to enlighten me about this 'Aargh' ??

I rather say oops and don't get the point. How would the teacher know - and worse - why is this *the* solution ?? Of course, the three ages have to multiply to 2450:
A * B * C = 2450
which excludes quite a few A, B, C
All have to add up to a reasonable age:
A + B + C << 1000
But for the rest Huh

Why can Ulrik not be at 48, the "middle-aged" (sorry, ladies !!)  woman 25 ? Which would result in the elder lady to be 49 and the younger to be at 2 ??

The only argument might be the age of the teacher. Retirement here is at 55; I'd know some countries where this stands at 60.
No luck here with either combination; but some teachers work beyond their retirement; it seems; in Riddle-Land ... !
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Mar 1st, 2003, 11:14am »

udippel,

You have two bits of information:
1. The multiplication of all three ages is 2450, and
2. Knowing the sum didn’t help the schoolteacher know the ages (hidden assumption: schoolteachers know how to “do” math and have some use of common logic. Not always true where I live, but in the riddle land it’s ok).

OK, let’s look at 2450. Break into its factors, and you get 2, 5, 5, 7, 7. The three ages must be made from these, and only these numbers (usage of 1 is allowed, though). Run all possible combinations (including ages of 1 year old) and you get 20 possible unique combination.  
Now, look at the sum of every possible age combination. Remember: knowing the sum didn’t help the teacher. If the ages would indeed be, as in your example 2, 25, 49, then by knowing that the sum is 76, the teacher may know the ages immediately. So we need to look for (at least) two age combinations that yield identical sum.
Scan through the combinations. There is only one possible pair that match both requirements (multiplication is 2450, identical sum): {5, 10, 49} and {7, 7, 50}. Now, how to choose between them?

In the original riddle (referred to by Wowbagger), the solution came from the last sentence: “oh sorry, the oldest one just started to play the piano”. There, one of the two combinations was of a younger sibling, and older twins. Knowing that one is older provided the extra information bit required.

In this riddle, the point is "Of course you can't - but, if I tell you that the oldest woman is older than pastor Ulrik you should be able to work it out...". Look at the two possibilities. The older one is either 49 or 50. Thus, pastor Ulrik must be 49: any younger, and both possibilities would fit. Older, and none would fit.  

Summary: the ages are 7, 7, 50, and pastor Ulrik is 49 years old.

The only (disturbing Wink ) question remaining – Wowbagger, do you usually refer to 7 year old children as “women” ?  Cheesy

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2003, 11:17am by BNC » IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #7 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 2:18am »

on Mar 1st, 2003, 11:14am, BNC wrote:
udippel,

You have two bits of information:
1. The multiplication of all three ages is 2450, and
2. Knowing the sum didn?t help the schoolteacher know the ages

I do like riddles where the extra information of not knowing something leads to a solution. Smiley

Quote:
(hidden assumption: schoolteachers know how to ?do? math and have some use of common logic. Not always true where I live, but in the riddle land it?s ok).

Cheesy

Quote:
The only (disturbing Wink ) question remaining - Wowbagger, do you usually refer to 7 year old children as ?women? ?  Cheesy

Of course, I could try to convince you that it's only for the sake of not making the riddle too easy... ok, somehow  I knew you would't buy that.Embarassed
Um, I declare that any resemblance to actual events, places or persons is strictly coincidental.
For the very most insistent: No, I usually don't. Wink

Well, I don't really know what you have in your (possibly filthy  Wink) mind, BNC, but in my country it would most probably be forbidden.
Nice delineation of the train of thought, by the way.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2003, 9:12am by wowbagger » IP Logged

udippel

« Reply #8 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 9:16am »

Of course you're so right ! - The devil's in the detail: to me the wording was somewhat unclear and then I'm not too bright. I actually missed the turn with the multiple solutions  "any younger, and both possibilities would fit. Older, and none would fit. "
Thanks for the explanations !!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »