wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Precision space travel. »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 2:01pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, towr, Eigenray, Icarus)
   Precision space travel.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Precision space travel.  (Read 753 times)
harpanet

Precision space travel.  
« on: Apr 15th, 2003, 9:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is my first 'puzzle' and may be a bit too easy, I don't know, but here goes.

The distance from planet GargleFargle to asteroid KooKoo is 1 light year (as measured by the best planetary-based astronomers GargleFargle has to offer).

Captain Zlog has been assigned to pilot a spaceship to the asteroid. The spaceship, named the Flapflap, is of a special inertial design that can reach any speed below that of light instananeously.  

Zlog is ordered to reach the asteroid in exactly 1 year. He takes on board his trusty (and mechanical) timer and will set it to '1 year' immediately prior to Gloop off (which is what inertial-based GargleFargian craft do when they start).

The brave Zlog points his craft at KooKoo (knowing that it's relative position does not change), sets the required speed and Gloops off.

At what speed (in Earth units) should Zlog set the Flapflap to travel at in order to reach KooKoo at the moment the timer goes 'ping'?

Note: By an astonishing coincidence, GargleFarge and Earth share the same time and distance measures.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Precision space travel.  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2003, 11:07am »

I think c/sqrt(2).

He will of course not reach asteroid KooKoo in one year from the reference frame of planet GargleFargle, but that wasn't the question.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
harpanet

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2003, 11:14am »

Well that was short and sweet! At least it means I didn't screw up on my calculations  Grin
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2003, 11:26am »

or we both did..
On the one hand it makes sense, on the other it doesn't.. multiple reference frames make my head hurt..
Of course the alternative I get gives complex numbers, so that's pretty much out of the question..
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2003, 11:27am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »