wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Broken computer fan »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:42am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: SMQ, william wu, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, Grimbal, Eigenray, towr)
   Broken computer fan
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Broken computer fan  (Read 1090 times)
Simon_Pelletier

Broken computer fan  
« on: Jun 26th, 2003, 5:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Your computer fan is broken; one of it's 12 blades is broken, making the fan unbalanced and quite noisy. You have only some basic tools and no shop or replacement for the fan. How can you reduce the noise significantly while not losing too much of the cooling power? The fan is screwed quite tight and still making a lot of noise.
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Re: Broken computer fan  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2003, 7:29pm »

Break off the opposite blade.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Simon_Pelletier

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2003, 7:33pm »

Easier than I thought, I guess...
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27th, 2003, 8:34am »

What if your fan has 15 blades?
What about 13 blades?
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27th, 2003, 10:38am »

Nice variation, James.

::
Suppose the fan has n blades and the nth blade is missing.
Let k be the greatest proper divisor of n. With the nth blade already missing, remove every kth blade. For example, if n=15, greatest proper divisor is 5. So with blade 15 already missing, remove 5 and 10.
If n is prime, there is no solution, as you would need to remove all the blades.
::

I suppose the next challenge is to prove that the above result is optimal.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2003, 11:50am by Sir Col » IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27th, 2003, 1:07pm »

Sir Col,

You're saying there's no solution at all for 13 blades? Surely you can come up with something...
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27th, 2003, 4:04pm »

Yes, you you break off half - by weight - of the two blades farthest opposite the broken blade. This requires a little more care than just a complete removal, but it is also a better solution than Sir Col's for other odd numbers as well, since it leaves more blades on the fan.

(And yes, I know that "half" is only an approximation, since you really want to match moments, not weight. And I am also ignoring the forces from the air its moving. But if you've got the time and money to afford to measure it that sufficiently, why not just replace the fan?)
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27th, 2003, 4:20pm »

I'm not sure if the fan would balance, as I imagine that it's more to do with the aerodynamic forces generated by the symmetry of the rotating system? Imagine a 3-blade fan and removing one of the blades: simply snapping the two remaining blades in half will not balance the system, as we're not attempting to achieve reflective symmetry, we're looking for rotational symmetry.
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:39pm »

Sir Col,

All we have to do to "balance" the fan is ensure that the center of mass lies very close the the center of rotation. Rotational symmetry will ensure this, but objects with no rotational symmetry can also rotate without vibrating.  

The problems with air resistance may be significant, but we could also approximately balance the air resistance with some more trickiness.

As both you and Icarus have pointed out, breaking off half-blades may not balance the fan even theoretically. But if each fan blade is roughly as large as the spacing between the blades (very likely), and they have roughly-constant thickness and width (quite common), then it should be a good-enough approximation, even for small n.
IP Logged

zero

« Reply #9 on: Jul 15th, 2003, 1:28pm »

on Jun 27th, 2003, 4:20pm, Sir Col wrote:
I'm not sure if the fan would balance, as I imagine that it's more to do with the aerodynamic forces generated by the symmetry of the rotating system? Imagine a 3-blade fan and removing one of the blades: simply snapping the two remaining blades in half will not balance the system, as we're not attempting to achieve reflective symmetry, we're looking for rotational symmetry.

how about this for a 3 bladed fan

snap the other 2 in half and then use one of those half and glue it to the  the place blade 3 was

this could work
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16th, 2003, 1:18am »

If you can glue things back, why not glue back the original broken off fan-blade?
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17th, 2003, 1:07pm »

Col, yup I had read this before, but did not think there was much to add.

In fact I have done research on rotorcraft where you have opposite blades identical but adjacent blades different.  This will actually reduce noise levels without significantly increasing vibration (no increase in the kind of vibration you are experiencing here).  Unfortunately, the kind of noise that is reduced is not the same kind of noise that is being produced here.

My end word would be that you break off a section of each of the two "opposite" blades, though how much depends upon the geometry of the fane and is way to intricate to be worth a three dollar fan.  The aerodynamics are already sufficiently messy that the change in blades would matter little for the noise you hear.

IN my experience it seems that the fan manufacturers have noted that their products break easily and have been kind enough to build them with an even number of blades (I have done this before).
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »