wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Two condoms, three women »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:01pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, SMQ, towr, Grimbal, william wu)
   Two condoms, three women
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Two condoms, three women  (Read 48762 times)
mirela

Re: Two condoms, three women  
« Reply #25 on: Apr 27th, 2012, 11:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1st womenTongueut the second condom over the first.
2nd women:remove the first condom
3rd women: reverse the first one
IP Logged
traughb

« Reply #26 on: Jul 11th, 2012, 5:56pm »

Double bag it and have a foursome.
IP Logged
manish682

« Reply #27 on: Dec 17th, 2012, 3:12am »

Two condoms & three women, quite possible if the third woman is your wife, you don't need one with her. Grin
IP Logged
cartoonle

« Reply #28 on: Dec 18th, 2012, 5:06am »

This riddle starts without puzzle text? I can't find it ...
IP Logged

friv - something i've built
Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #29 on: Dec 18th, 2012, 8:07am »

At the top of the page is a big question mark and the words "RIDDLES SITE" in red.  Click on it.
Then click on the category "easy" and search "CONDOM".  (it's 25% down the page)
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2012, 8:07am by Grimbal » IP Logged
marlonmark

« Reply #30 on: Jan 2nd, 2013, 1:19am »

I totally agree with Ither as even i had the same thought.
IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #31 on: Oct 28th, 2013, 9:22pm »

In my articles where I preach that it's not the what (answer) but the how is important I claim that there is a finite number of Basic Approaches that work across any and all the hard science disciplines from quantum mechanics to differential geometry and everything in between. So far I've identified 8 - Division, Elimination, Equation, Rearrangement, Scope Expansion, Scope Reduction, Space Time, Substitution.

This particular problem and many others like it are solved using the Space Time Basic Approach:
Test which one of the only four possible space-time combinations of events and/or objects listed below is useful:
1). Same space, same time.
2). Same space, different time.
3). Different space, same time.
4). Different space, different time.

Once armed with that knowledge one can quickly conclude that it's choice number 1) that works. Both condoms must occupy the same space at the same time. After the first intercourse only one condom is removed. After the second - there is a conflict. Resolve it using the same Space Time choice 1) but turn the removed condom inside out for the third intercourse.

This is an old peasant/wolf/goat/cabbage/boat problem in disguise. That problem is also solved using the Space Time Basic Approach. Other problems like it involve soldiers or husbands and wives crossing the river.

This problem can be reworded thus: how can each of two males have an intercourse with each of two females if only two condoms are available? The solution of course is the same except that the condoms are used in reverse order - male 1 has an intercourse with female 1 and after gives the outer condom to male 2 who has an intercourse with female 1. Male 1 has an intercourse with female 2 and after gives the condom to male 2 who, armed with the knowledge of the Space Time Approach, bravely puts the formerly inner condom over the originally outer one and has an intercourse with female 2. No need to turn anything inside out this time.

Incidentally the Russian Matryoshka Dolls use the same space/same time principle.
IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #32 on: Nov 18th, 2013, 9:46pm »

Taking a break from the coin puzzles I realized that the above problem can also be reworded thus: three males, one female, two condoms. Solution is again the same. But this time I applied a tiny bit of formalism.

M = {M1, M2, M3} are males.
F = {F1, F2, F3} are females.
S = {S1i, S1o, S2i, S2o} are condom surfaces, i = inner, o = outer.

1). One male, three females solution:
M1 S1i S2o F1
M1 S1i S1o F2
M1 S1i S2i F3

2). Two males, two females:
M1 S1i S2o F1
M1 S1i S1o F2
M2 S2i S2o F1
M2 S2i S1o F2

3). Three males, one female:
M1 S1i S2o F1
M2 S2i S2o F1
M3 S1o S20 F1
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #33 on: Nov 20th, 2013, 7:47am »

Your formalism doesn't show the potential problem of condom-to-condom contact.  A dirty side of a condom can touch a clean side of another condom and contaminate it.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2013, 7:49am by Grimbal » IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #34 on: Nov 20th, 2013, 7:52pm »

I was pondering the hourglass problem when I've read your reply, Grimbal.

This is my seventh or eighth problem solving experiment and the short of it is that it's still remains unclear to me where does the new come from?

After I've tried 7+7+11 and 11+7 it became obvious that it's not gonna work. Next, flip them both at the same time. After the 7m HG is done there will be 4 minutes left in the 11m HG. So what? The clock is ticking, right? 7 minutes went by. How can I use these 4 minutes? It would be nice to freeze them and replay them twice in a row. 7+4+4=15.

When I ran into this wall the time was ripe to reread the problem and reexamine what's given word by word. I'm no English major but the word "time" in "accurately Time 15 minutes" caught my attention.

Drawing on my past college experience what does it mean to "accurately time" something? This is a fascinating subject to itself. In theoretical physics they measure time in space. One second of time equals the amount of space covered by the ray of light given the opportunity to travel for this one second, three hundred thousand kilometers roughly.

Another way to measure time is to bounce a particle of light, a photon, between two mirrors. But in our much simpler case it's just some time interval between me saying "Start!" and then some time later saying "Stop!". That's the key to solving this problem. I figure it is puzzling at first for most people because we instinctively and quickly fuse two separate events - flipping the hourglass and starting the timer - together. Stepping on a land mine, body parts flying...

All we have to do to solve this puzzle is to separate in time these two events, let enough sand flow by until an opportune moment arrives and only then start the timer. So the solution is:

1). Flip both hourglasses.
2). Let the 7m HG run out.
3). "Start!" timing the 15-minute interval.
4). When the only 4 minutes worth of sand remaining in the 11m HG flow out flip it again.
5). Let these 11 minutes go by.
6). "Stop!" timing.
7). 4 + 11 = 15.

Sorry, now back to this.

[edit]
Forgot to explicitly qualify the approach that solves this problem. So for documentation purposes here it is - space time, choice number two - same space, different time.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2013, 3:34pm by rloginunix » IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #35 on: Nov 20th, 2013, 8:17pm »

You are absolutely right, Grimbal. I noticed as much myself when I was posting the answer. When I was running through the indices for S I felt that something is wrong. Not only that. My notation also doesn't make it obvious that two condoms must at some point occupy the same space at the same time.

Here I hope is an improvement. So Ms and Fs remain the same. The surface get's an extra qualifier c for clean, d for dirty. Same qualities are allowed - cc, dd - are OK, crossing the beams is not allowed ("crossing the beams" is a humorous remark from Ghostbusters).

Before a surface can be bonded to a person it must carry the "c" quality. All the surfaces are initially Clean. Once such connection is established it must stay permanent for the duration of the experiment.

I'm also adding the notation to reflect the fact that two condoms may occupy the same space at the same time.

1). 1 Male, 3 Females:

(M1 S1id) S1oc S2ic (S2od F1)
(M1 S1id) (S1od F2)
(M1 S1id) S1od S2od (S2id F3)

2). 2 Males, 2 Females:

(M1 S1id) (S1od F2)
(M2 S2id) (S2od F1)
(M2 S2id) S2od S1id (S1od F2)

3). 3 Males, 1 Female:

(M2 S2id) (S2od F1)
(M3 S1od) S1id S2id (S2od F1)

I'm wondering now if formalizing the puzzle/riddle right off the bat will help solving it quicker?
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #36 on: Nov 21st, 2013, 4:47am »

on Nov 20th, 2013, 8:17pm, rloginunix wrote:
I'm wondering now if formalizing the puzzle/riddle right off the bat will help solving it quicker?

In general, using a good formalisation will help with solving a problem more quickly, but using a poor formalisation won't.

One of the skills of puzzle solving is the ability to find good formalisations quickly - which often involves having some idea of what the solution should look like.
IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #37 on: Nov 23rd, 2013, 11:48am »

Yes, rmsgrey. The chicken or the egg problem. I've been puzzling over this on and off for the past several months.

In programmer's wishful thinking if there only existed a purely mechanical procedure into which in goes the riddle/puzzle/problem and a finite amount of steps and a finite amount of time later, preferably while we're still young, without human involvement out comes the answer "Nah, no solution here" or "Yeah, use formalism so and so to find at least one solution".

But if memory serves me right, Alan Turing and Kurt Godel gave a resounding no can do on this one. Which means riddles and puzzles can still riddle and puzzle us. And something very not logical like intuition or hunch must be employed to find a solution.
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #38 on: Nov 23rd, 2013, 1:04pm »

It is not because some problems cannot be solved formally that formalism is useless for all problems.

I think what helps solving a problem fast is to find the essence of a problem.  If that essence can be described formally (it could be a set of equations), you can use all the tools you know to solve it.
IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #39 on: Nov 24th, 2013, 8:37pm »

Fully agreed. And by no means my intention was to imply that formalism is useless. Of course it's useful.

Don't want to pollute this thread with an off topic discussion but what I meant is that if we take Godel's and Turing's findings at their face value - a universal problem solver doesn't exist - then my interpretation is that finding a solution to a riddle/puzzle/problem takes two mutually exclusive skills - pure logic (formalism) and pure not logic - call it intuition, gut feeling, hunch, imagination or grasping of what you call the essence.

A little bit of the latter at first and likely lots of the former next. That's all.

Not sure if it deserves a separate thread. Probably not. There's one already out there - "general problem-solving/whatever"/"how to become better at problem-solving/riddles".

As a side remark don't see people sharing their solution paths. Is that frowned upon around here?
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #40 on: Nov 25th, 2013, 7:22am »

on Nov 24th, 2013, 8:37pm, rloginunix wrote:
As a side remark don't see people sharing their solution paths. Is that frowned upon around here?

How much people share depends on the problem - a "riddle" where you either see the answer, or don't, there's often no solution path to share.

For puzzles here in easy, the more experienced posters will often post cryptic hints to make it clear that they're aware of the (intended) solution, or deliberately post unintended solutions in order to avoid the situation where someone who hasn't seen that problem (or a variant) before comes across it, then the first three posts are three different uberpuzzlers giving complete solutions...

And, of course, even when a completesolution is given, it's often posted as a finished product - the result of the poster's reflections on the problem rather than a record of them.

On the other hand, there are problems, particularly in the hard forum, where people have posted partial solutions or thoughts about possible solutions, and a communal solution path has been recorded.
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #41 on: Nov 25th, 2013, 8:24am »

The banner on the main page says:
"explaining how you arrived at an answer is more valuable than the answer itself"
So it is actually encouraged.  Especially on the harder problems.  An Uberpuzzler would never admit he actually had to think on the easy problems. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #42 on: Nov 26th, 2013, 1:59pm »

Aah, I see. Egos and ambitions. Good stuff, good stuff. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. Before I found this forum my idea was of an academically oriented place where approaches and problems are linked together. Here are all the problems that this approach solves. And here are all the approaches that solve this problem. Wikipedia of sort with a rather narrow band of material type - classification of solution types. Solvepedia or some such. This forum is of much different flavor and format. And of course when in Rome do what Romans do.

Last question if I may. What is the official take on the already solved problems?

Sorry, fat fingered something on the keyboard and the site did the post before I finished typing.

Anyway, if I read the problem, go away, solve it, then come back but someone has posted a solution. Is it OK if I post mine or is it best to just shut up and move on?
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2013, 2:05pm by rloginunix » IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #43 on: Nov 26th, 2013, 10:49pm »

I'd say that depends on a few things.  
If the topic was recent I find even a "dammit, you just beat me to it" acceptable enough (You'll also see a lot of posts that were edited just to add that to the top, because sometimes someone beats you to it while you're writing a reply).  
If it's been a while (for me) it becomes a question of whether a reply adds anything, like a different solution method, a generalization etc. So if there have only been answers, but no solution path, then posting one would contribute something. If there's already a solution but you have an easier/clearer one, or a shorter one, or even an alternate one that is just interesting, that also adds something worthwhile.  
When it comes down to it though, unless you resurrect a dozen topics per day no one is likely to be bothered.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #44 on: Nov 27th, 2013, 5:55pm »

Got it, makes sense, thanks for being patient with me.

Happy Thanksgiving!
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #45 on: Nov 28th, 2013, 9:31am »

In addition to the "edit: must type faster" posts and the "here's a (better/different) solution" posts towr mentions, there are:

* Okay, the intended answer's been found, but if you read the question carefully, it doesn't rule out this one (sometimes known as "thinking outside the box")

* That problem's been solved, but how about this related one? (sometimes the variant ends up taking over the thread)

If a problem's been solved a while, then posting just to say "I solved this too" (even if you give a complete solution) is more annoying than edifying for other people - unless you also add something new to the thread (besides your name).

The other point of etiquette towr touched upon is that there's no rush to post everything at once - sure, people get excited the first time they come across somewhere like this, and their first instinct is to dive in and post wherever they have anything to say, but it's better to pace yourself - you'll get more attention for each of your posts that way, and whatever conversation was going on when you arrived can continue without suddenly being buried on page three...
IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #46 on: Nov 28th, 2013, 3:20pm »

Point taken. Quality over quantity. Sniper shots over loose cannon fire. Must have something new to say.

My only observation is that in the forum's search functionality it would be nice to inhale all the puzzles but output only those that are still pending:

select * from puzzles where solved = false

or some such.
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #47 on: Apr 13th, 2014, 1:35pm »

One of three women is your wife and you don't want to sleep with her.  

Or one woman is a virgin.  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »