wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Point of view »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 3:51pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Grimbal, Icarus, SMQ, william wu, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, towr)
   Point of view
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Point of view  (Read 543 times)
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

Point of view  
« on: Feb 8th, 2010, 8:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm stumped.

I'm thining of one point perspective drawings.
The axioms are, as far as I know:

All parallel lines converge in this projection.
The points at which they converge (Vanishing Points) lie on the Horizon Line.  

and that's about it (for one point perspective, in a handwavy way).

I'm perfectly comfortable with parallel lines running horizontally across the page converging at a vanishing point that's infinitely far along the horizon line. In fact, thinking about it makes me happy.

My question is  "Where do parallels that run vertically on the page converge?"
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Point of view  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 9th, 2010, 3:23am »

I'm not sure what you're asking. Lines that are parallel on the page aren't parallel in the scene you're drawing. (Except when they're also parallel to the horizon.)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Immanuel_Bonfils

« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2010, 5:30am »

Couldn't find the beginning of thuis riddle...
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Feb 9th, 2010, 6:23am »

This is about a projection of 3d space on a 2D plane.

The line of sight is the axis going from your eye through the plane, perpendicularly.

If that line aims at the horizon, then it is horizontal, the projection plane is vertical and all vertical lines remain parallel on the projection.

If that line of sight is going upwards, then there is a vanishing point over the horizon.  That is the point where a line going up vertically from your eye meets the projection plane.  All verticals converge to that point.  Imagine looking at a skyscraper from the street.

If the line of sight is going down, you have a vanishing point below the horizon.  Imaging looking down an elevator shaft.

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2010, 6:25am by Grimbal » IP Logged
Immanuel_Bonfils

« Reply #4 on: Feb 9th, 2010, 6:44am »

Thanks, but I knew this stuff about prespective or/and projective. I thought it was a continuation of som riddle (it's looks like) but seems its the starting of...

Doesn't vertical lines in the scene be represented by verical lines in the page?

I mean, with the line of view being horizontal, the vertical lines are parallel...
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2010, 6:55am by Immanuel_Bonfils » IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Feb 9th, 2010, 4:56pm »

yes, when the line of sight aims at the horizon, it is horizontal and the verticals are parallel.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2010, 4:58pm by Grimbal » IP Logged
Noke Lieu
Uberpuzzler

pen... paper... let's go! (and bit of plastic)

Re: Point of view   Image6.gif
« Reply #6 on: Feb 9th, 2010, 8:10pm »

It is the continuation of some sort of riddle, one that I've been playing with. I'm writing teacher support notes on perspective.  
And as I'm working on it on my own, I thought I'd consult better brains than mine.

I'm going to use fairly layman language to describe what I'm struggling with...

Imagine a square grid on the floor, stretching off into the distance.

There are parallel lines running perpendicular to the image plane. Ther converge at the "Vanishing Point".

There are other parallel lines, for example those of the diagonals of the squares.

They also converge, but at  a diagonal vanishing point.  

There are an *ahem* rather large number of diagonal vanishing points. The closer to being parallel to the plane lines are, the further from the vanishing point the DVP is.  

The parallel lines running parallel to the image plane therefore converge at a spot infinitely far along the horizon line.  

(and now I can't remember what my point was... Cry)
It was struggling with the distinction between 1 and 2 point perspective., and representation of dimensions, how they didn't match...
IP Logged

a shade of wit and the art of farce.
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2010, 8:27am »

With a horizontal line of sight, horizontal parallel lines meet on the horizon, vertical parallels never meet, and parallel lines which are neither horizontal, nor perpendicular to the line of sight, meet at some random point on the viewing plane.

The difference between 1-point and 2-point perspective lies in how many sets of parallel lines not perpendicular to the line of sight are allowed to exist in the picture - in one point perspective, parallel lines are either perpendicular to the line of sight, or parallel to each other (and often to the line of sight); in 2-point perspective, there are two sets of mutually parallel lines not perpendicular to the line of sight.

In general, you can have arbitrarily many vanishing points, each representing a set of parallel lines with a different direction in object-space.
IP Logged
JohanC
Senior Riddler

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10th, 2010, 9:09am »

Google points to pages such as this one where fig. 12 demonstrates a 3 point perspective.
Also wikipedia has an interesting discussion , and an example of a satirical false perspective. Curious is a topic about reverse perspective.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »